Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #11
bohor
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by auhsor@Dec 3 2004, 02:20 PM

And bohor, I don't like Bjork... but my brother does. Shes just a bit too weird for me.
I know, she's a little bit too wierd even for me, but she is a worldwide known star, and thats a big thing for a small country like Iceland...
bohor is offline                         Send a private message to bohor
Old 03-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I was thinking that most popular icelander was Hogar Strasni LOL, but guess, I was wrong... :blink: (danny picture almost represent Helga )

City I'm living in is about 4 time bigger then Iceland. It must be interesting to be able to know president of the country.

k:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 03-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Dec 2 2004, 06:49 PM
Here is some stuff I found about Iceland. It's really interesting to learn about different countries and cultures.
*LOL* I checked out this page. I found few errors in it....

First of all, they don't seem to get the name of our Prime Minister. At one place they call him Halldor Grimsson (like our president, Grímsson), one place they call him Halldor Asgrimmson...
His name is Halldór Ásgrímsson

One thing I remember.
We don't have military in Iceland, but the US army has a base in Keflavík (about 30 min drive from the city).

We once had a war against the British, the Cod war. They wanted to take our fish. Many men were killed then, and it was a great loss for the small fishing villages (like my hometown).
But unfortunately I don't know any figures or many facts about this war.. I need to gather some information.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 04-12-2004, 01:16 AM   #14
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Aaaah one thing I just remembered!!!!

In 1627, bunch of Turkish pirates came, and stole a lot of Icelandic people. Most of the people were from this small island called Vestmannaeyjar ( a part of Iceland).
They took the people, few thousands or something (not sure), and sailed to "The Barbary" as it's called in old documents. Turky, that is.
There they were used as slaves. Most of the people never got back to Iceland, but few years after the kidnapp, the king of Denmark (if I'm not mistaken), bought a lot of the people back.

I read a GREAT book about this, based on Gu?rún Símonardóttir, a lady from Vestmannaeyjar. She and her son were kidnapped, but her housband was left behind. Then she was bought back many years later, but her son couldn't be rescued.
Then she went to Copenhagen (remember, in 16XX, it's a LONG way, going from Turky to Iceland!!) by feet, along with other Icelanders. There they had to stay untill the next ship sailed to Iceland.
There was this Icelandic priest, Hallgrímur Pétursson, who was teaching them about Jesus and stuff, because they had been in islamic country for so long. He was pretty much younger than Gu?rún, but they fell in love. Which was a big deal; he was a priest, and she was basically still married.
And this is all true.
Hallgrímur Pétursson is one of the greatest poets in Iceland. The biggest church (I believe, I don't know of any bigger) is named after him.

Hallgrímskirkja

That's about what I remember from that event...
Many people got killed. And for a small town like Vestmannaeyjar (lots of Puffins there), it's a great loss.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:02 AM   #15
The_EgAt
Abandonia nerd

I have anther correction: (I'm not so much correcting as I am pointing out)
Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin@Dec 4 2004, 02:16 AM
In 1627, bunch of Turkish pirates came
About this I must say: Although it was widely believed at first that they were from Turkey, it was later discovered that they were actually from Algeria, a city called "Algiers" (in Icelandic, "Algeirsborg")
Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin@Dec 4 2004, 02:16 AM

They took the people, few thousands or something (not sure), and sailed to "The Barbary" as it's called in old documents. Turky, that is.
And about this I must quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by http://www.ismennt.is/vefir/eyglob/sagave/sar.html
Flestum ber saman um, a? hernumdar hafi veri? í Eyjum 242 manneskjur í ?essu ráni. Rúmlega 30 munu r?ningjarnir hafa drepi? og líklega hafa um 200 manna komist undan hér í Tyrkjaráninu.
This basically means: "Most agree that 242 persons were taken. Just over 30 were killed and probably about 200 people evaded capture"

(why do my posts always take 1 1/2 hour?)
The_EgAt is offline                         Send a private message to The_EgAt
Old 04-12-2004, 05:29 AM   #16
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Being too old for forum lately?? :blink:

I was shocked that Turks were able to get that far to north. :blink:

In my country Turks (more then in Kosta's and Unknow Hero's, and about the same as in Bohor's) took a lot of kids, to train them for their army. Some of them become well known warriors, and later made things back in Bosnia (like clock towers, mosques, bridges...)

What kind of industries you guys have. What kind of job you are planning to do after school?
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 AM   #17
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

@EgAt:
Takk takk, ég var ?reytt ?egar ég ger?i ?etta og ekki a? hugsa
?a? er órauns?tt a? ?a? sé h?gt a? taka ?úsundir frá svo litlum sta? :w00t:

To answer Anubis's question about industries.... Uhm.... I'm not sure! /stupid me/
A lot of our income comes from fishing and turism. I guess that's it

And about me... I have no idea what I'm going to do. I guess I'll go abroad to study languages, take some degrees in that...

@EgAt:
Another thing.. About being from Turky or Algeria...
I was trying SO hard last night remembering the name, but I couldn't :blink:
All I remembered that it's called Tyrkjaráni? in Icelandic. "The Turkish Robbery" or something like that
Old 05-12-2004, 05:09 AM   #18
The_EgAt
Abandonia nerd

I had a long post prepared, but it seems as if I will not have time to finsih it, so I'll copy it onto my hard drive for later finishing and posting. This post will be deleted then.
The_EgAt is offline                         Send a private message to The_EgAt