Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-09-2004, 03:18 AM   #1
Spaceball

I really love this game. I got it from a friend after he had finished it, back in the old days. Its just a great Game. You have to play the game like a rpg with strategy elements. The Strategy element is very basic. You have to move your Fremen around. The RPG Part is also very basic. You have to find some important characters and move them around. The Storyline is very near to the book. Much more than the 1984 feature film. The grafics have been very good. Handpainted characters. Some time ago I got the CD-ROM Version with enhanced grafics. They make the game looking much better. Sure they are still very basic but fo the time they have been awesome. There is a very nice feature in the game. After harvesting the spice you can plant trees on the desert. The Harkonnen leave green areas. I never had enough time to green the planet. Usually I finish one game in 6 hours, that definatly not enough time to green the planet. It alos doesn't make much sense to me. The Empere wants more and more Spice.

By the way the Company who developed the game is Cryo a french based Company.

Does anyone else like the game?

cu, Spaceball
Spaceball is offline                         Send a private message to Spaceball
Old 27-09-2004, 04:19 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I like it very much, but only the strategy part. There is no RPG like you stated, the game is in fact a blend from an Adventure and a Strategy game.

While I usually dislike adventure games, I got thru the first part easily enough so when I got to the strategy part I found the game was still interesting... Usually when I play adventure games I get bored by the middle of the story and never bother trying again.
Old 30-09-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
muaddib
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to muaddib Send a message via MSN to muaddib

Just the best adventure game I ever played. Especially the CD-version, with the great movies and speech.
Old 30-09-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Spaceball

@muaddib

I have the Problem that the Speech starts and ends at the same moment. I think that has something to do with the CD Rom speed. Otherwise it gets anoying when you have played the game very often and want to continue fast. I read faster.

@Eagle of Fire

Sorry I don't see a much difference between the two genres with this game. You don't have to dissolve puzzles like in the Lucasarts or Sierra Adventures in this game so I thought it would be better so say rpg.

cu, Spaceball
Spaceball is offline                         Send a private message to Spaceball
Old 01-10-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

RPG are commonly refered as games in which you can make your character evolve with stats. You don't do that in Dune. Yes, your character evolve, but it's part of a big "story" which refere best to a Adventure game.

The strategy part is when you battle the Arkonen with your Fremen, and the small part at the beginning when you harvest your spice.

I don't know if you knew, but there is a secret smuggler somewhere in the desert where you can buy a lot of goods, but at an heavy price...
Old 01-10-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, this is a first game that I finished on my comp. I stayed up late. For me it is still revolutionary because the way that they put adventure and strategic styles together.

There are lots of hidden caves and villages (well, not that much). Make sure that someone is with you. I always traveled with 2 people with me. there is one west of Tuono-Tabr, and later with worm I found one on the fish's tail and on the end of the tail, also around crater nortwest of te palace.

I'll play again probably and seek again
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 01-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Oct 1 2004, 09:17 AM
I don't know if you knew, but there is a secret smuggler somewhere in the desert where you can buy a lot of goods, but at an heavy price...
HUh...never heard of this before...

What is precies the trap there??...3 sandworms or something like that???
Old 01-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
Spaceball

Yes there is a third village. I just don't know where it was and what the smuggler had to offer. As marko_river said there are some seech hidden in the desert. Its sometimes easy to find those hidden places when you take a look at the Spicemap.

cu, Spaceball
Old 03-10-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
gdp2000
Forum hobbit

This isn't the only game from Cryo I liked very much. They produced many similar games. With a lot of movies. Lost Eden was one of this. An easy gameplay, and a very epic story. Don'T know if they are still alive.
gdp2000 is offline                         Send a private message to gdp2000
Old 04-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #10
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by gdp2000@Oct 3 2004, 09:20 PM
This isn't the only game from Cryo I liked very much. They produced many similar games. With a lot of movies. Lost Eden was one of this. An easy gameplay, and a very epic story. Don'T know if they are still alive.
Lost eden wasn`t that good...

It was way too easy and the different places (pictures) were very boring....i missed the eyecandy of a good adventure in the game..