Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #31
Jay

I just like everything about the Dune universe. The game - Dune - is way better than the movie. Maybe it does not follow the book in every little detail but it definitely captures the atmosphere of it. I still play it although I have finished it several times.

I agree with those saying that the movie does not do the book credit. It would be great if the movie was remade. I am sure it would pay of too since there are millions of Dune fans.

Jay...

Old 26-11-2004, 08:51 AM   #32
J.S.

That's true. It's the only poor point. That, and the very limited replay value. But, that said, if you are a Dune nut you take all that you can get. I tend to take it off of the metaphorical shelf at least once a year.

Old 26-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #33
TaloN
Hero Gamer

you have to think of the film as a seperate entitity from the book. The book is amazing, the film is thesimplified version.

this was the first game i EVER played.

i was about 6-7. Dune, Syndicate and MegaRace came free with our first pc, a 486 something or other.

i remeber playing it for days on end. completed it once, i remeber the turning point being taking one of those box weapons (wirly gig or something?? ) really early in the game and so being able to flatten the easy harokken fortresses and gain huge amounts of spice.
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 01-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #34
Wout1974

I can't play this game on my computer. After i download the game, i doubleclick on dune 2 file and he start the game. Then i can choose between 3 groups and after clicking one of them, the mousepointer dissepear and the game will not go further.

Maybe not writed for windows???

Old 01-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #35
Wael
Hero Gamer

Please use dosbox,
which is available on the site.
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 02-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #36

yeah unless you have an old p.c with an old skool soundblaster 16, then you should use dosbox to play dune - otherwise you`ll miss out on the wicked adlib music

Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #37
rc55
Lurker

Thomy,

Hey - I do exactly the same thing - i.e. Play Dune 1 once every six months! I've got it down to around 3 hours to complete, and I put the soundtrack on CD-Style so it's not too hectic.

For those who are stuck, here are some vital tips - but bear in mind, this can be too much for some people!

1) Harvesters are essential, Harvesters with Orni's are even better! Don't have a seitch without one.
2) Send the Emporer only what he asks for.
3) To fall in love with Chani, take her out to the desert ALONE (i.e. get Stilgar to stay in the Sietch) and talk to her at night time.
4) Take time to talk to Fremen Chiefs, they will tell you about Seitches you aren't aware of. Remember to fly with a passenger to spot the seitches!
5) Check Spice Density regularly and regroup your troops, and seperate them if they stop working.
6) Ecology isn't that important. Maybe use just one troop to help.
7) When Thufir prompts you to start an army, use 8 troops from around Stilgar's region, train them up using Gurney in one seitch, then get some troops on Espionage, and others destroying fortresses, not forgetting to pick up the extra equipment on the way.
8) Use everyone else for Spice. Get harvesters. When you discover the worm secret, you can deliver Orni's to Fremen directly by flying to them, and leaving them via the worm.

Well, that's spoiled all the fun, but for the most part, the game gives pretty good hints on how to survive. Just keep the spice flowing and talking to the fremen, and looking for plot queues.

Ruairi
rc55 is offline                         Send a private message to rc55
Old 04-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #38
TaloN
Hero Gamer

i attacked the forst to the north of seigar as fast as possible once im fairly well trained. thus u can get a level 3 weapon i think it is (the box that makes sounds or something, its been awhile) and then u can win fairly easily.
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #39
goblins
Game Wizzard

It is a good game i havent played it before it got it off this site but i have finished it a few months ago (when i was downloading the files but wasnt a forum member) but now it has limiited replay value - one ive played the games here thats it

Still good to see it back on this site available for old time gamers to bash around with and a few enemies
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 05-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #40
Dr. Frankenstien

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Frankenstien

Actually, this one is the third best in the series, the best is Emperor: Battle for Dune (Gotta buy this im afraid) and the second best is Dune 2000
Modified by Omuletzu
Reason: Offering oldwarez!