Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

That's what I mean, the immersion and suspension of disbelief. The whole original idea behind RPGs, even though computer RPGs are (even) more oriented towards action. I guess development time gets eaten by the priority aspects of the game; people don't mind "arrows to the knee" if the game's fun.

I've never used any mods. I wouldn't know where to start, there are so many in so many websites... But this Morrowind Comes Alive sounds great, I'll keep it in mind if I re-play this someday.

Of course NPC intelligence and variety is more important than size. Morrowind isn't great in this department. I don't think I've played RPG that's good in this. Again priorities.

@Yoga, what didn't you like about Daggerfall? I loved it but dungeons did put me off. At the end of the game I was looking up the walkthrough to find my way through the main quest dungeons, because the maps were a nightmare; it's too bad. In Arena the dungeons have a great atmosphere. But I don't like that enemies appear out of nowhere, and combat and magic are too fast.

How stupid is it that so many RPGs have rats attack you and you need a weapon to kill them...?!

Last edited by Japo; 23-05-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 23-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
MyVitalRemains
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
And I just sneak this in here for people with new rigs How it'll look and of course Where to get it.
The game looks so amazing... it could compete with some games today, visually, that is.
MyVitalRemains is offline                         Send a private message to MyVitalRemains
Old 24-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

@Yoga, what didn't you like about Daggerfall? I loved it but dungeons did put me off. At the end of the game I was looking up the walkthrough to find my way through the main quest dungeons, because the maps were a nightmare; it's too bad. In Arena the dungeons have a great atmosphere. But I don't like that enemies appear out of nowhere, and combat and magic are too fast.
How stupid is it that so many RPGs have rats attack you and you need a weapon to kill them...?![/quote]

OK, dear Japo. TY.

Your question contains the answer. The Maps. Abs. terrible in Daggerfall. In many cases i was unable to find the exit... so yes... Load again the game. Too many endless dungeons in Daggerfall. No same in Arena.
In Arena i am able to fly. No flying in Daggerfall.
In Arena there is water crossing with boat. Can not remember in Daggerfall.
If You put down an object after a while it disappeared (Daggerfall).
In some tasks the enemies attacked from above and for me was very hard to up my view and take care(Daggerfall).
The spell Passwall in Arena is very nice. Like a mole my hero goes through stone walls. Very, very nice.
No, i do not hate Daggerfall. It is a good game but (see above) i like Arena more.

Enjoy Your vacation.

yog
Which game between Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind do You prefer?
Old 24-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

I played Morrowind for about 750h without finishing the main story (Later I created another game where I focused just on main quest), that alone can convince anyone how great the game is. I just felt so immersed in the world it was so believable, just calling for me to explore it more and more (pixel y pixel). The NPCs maybe weren't many but almost each one of them had soul. Visually it was one of the best games on the market when it came out. And the music, my goodness, I still listen to it now and then in winamp.
Oblivion is good but the random dungeons and stupid leveling of the world with your progress killed a lot of the magic. About 300h spent there.
I'm now playing Skyrim, 80h in it and it is just thrilling, the world is great, combat is challenging (I'm playing in Master difficulty) and the things that are made "easier" from previos installments are like that in a good way.
As for Arena and Daggerfall, I'll probably never finish the first one (tried 2 times and couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes) but I have high hopes for Daggerfall, curently I just finished the first dungeon and traveled to civilization. Not much mileage there.

@Japo
Are you 100% possitive about Morrowind having the choise of difficulty? I don't remember that.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 24-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Jironobou
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via Skype™ to Jironobou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranjoHello View Post
I played Morrowind@Japo
Are you 100% possitive about Morrowind having the choise of difficulty? I don't remember that.
Yeah, there's a difficulty slider in Morrowind and Oblivion, it should be under options somewhere.

As far as Oblivion, the only thing I can recommend is the quest message popup remover addon mod thing, because without it every quest will have a little popup that comes up when you complete a part of it, and it ruins immersion (EVERY quest has it). In fact, you can see it in the intro dungeon, it's like that through the whole game.

Oh, and if you want to check out Morrowind again, you could consider the Morrowind Rebirth mod, it isn't a graphical overhaul, but it expands each city/village, adds items and quests, fixes balance issues, and just adds to the world.

I've been infected with Backloggery-itis
Jironobou is offline                         Send a private message to Jironobou
Old 24-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
Japo
Autonomous human

@Yoga, I guessed dungeon maps may be your problem too. I have a bro tip for you: Recall. This is a spell that teleports you to a location previously set by you, for example the entrance of a dungeon. As you said the toughest part is finding the exit back, because the whole dungeon is drawn on the map; at the start it's easier to see where the map has unexplored ends (although it should be marked more clearly). So you cast recall at the entrance of the dungeon, then explore it, and when you're done with your objective and want to exit, no more bashing your head against the keyboard, just cast recall again and you're out!

This should return the joy to dungeon crawling in Daggerfall. It's absolutely indispensable. Sadly I suffered a lot too, because I usually don't like magic in RPGs, and in Arena and Daggerfall I find it too powerful, so I made a special character (both immune to magic and unable to cast), but he couldn't use recall because it never comes on enchanted items.

Hm I think I'll also give Daggerfall another go, it's been very long. And I'll be sure to have at least this spell.

Not counting the graphics, I think I'd say Daggerfall is my favorite, because it was the first RPG that was a real sandbox. Arena in comparison is too monotone and repetitive. Daggerfall also created the history and the world of the Elder Scrolls, which is the best in video game series. In my opinion Morrowind dropped the ball a little in the sandbox department, because of what I said earlier. But if you care about graphics even a little, Morrowind wins of course. And if you're not too obsessed about graphics, they're good enough even for today, and they run on any computer.

@BranjoHello, not sure about NPCs' souls in Morrowind. Even though nothing of them is generated randomly, 99% of their conversation is shared. And once a NPC fulfills his purpose his conversation becomes out of date: for example the priest who introduced me to the Archcannon keeps asking me about it, even after I met fucking Vivec; hello, news? But I like the hypertext format, compared to Arena and Daggerfall.

The difficulty slider in Morrowind is in the options, I also missed its existence during most of the time I played the game.

@Jironobou, thanks for the mod suggestion. Keep them coming. It's great that these games can be modded to address their weak spots. It's something I have to look into.

Right now I'm playing Arena. I don't like that combat is ridiculously fast, you don't have time to take a look at your enemy, or cast magic for that matter. It could be because of DOSBox or modern computers but I don't think so; if I decrease the cycles the whole game starts being choppy. I quested for the Oghma Infinitum lots of times to max my character out, then I quested for Ariel's Bow, and then I cheated to be able to quest for three more artifacts: the Necromancer's Amulet, the Ring of Phynaster, and the Ring of the Khajiit. Right now I'm in the Labyrynthion. Arena is very hard.

After Arena and maybe Daggerfall I'll look for good mods for Morrowind (more NPCs, much more money for merchants, and I'll take a look around) and play it some more. It does have a lot of replay value. After that I'll finally think about playing Oblivion. All this could take years, mind you.
Old 24-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I find the combat to be rather flawed in the entire TES series, and it was never its strong point.

Daggerfall, in my opinion, is one of those games with incredible potential, but never comes close to it. It's odd actually, the idea is so great, and it could turn so amazing if someone were to work on it again, and actually see it through. I don't know, when I realize this about a game, it saddens me. I never managed to spend much time on it, the bugs, broken features and nightmarish dungeons always put me off.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 24-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
MyVitalRemains
Abandonia nerd

Has anyone here ever played any of the spinoff TES games like An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire and The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard?

Also what do you people think The Elder Scrolls Online will be like?
MyVitalRemains is offline                         Send a private message to MyVitalRemains
Old 24-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVitalRemains View Post
I suspect it will be something like

Press to fight.

Press to start/end dialogue.
Old 24-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVitalRemains View Post
Has anyone here ever played any of the spinoff TES games like An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire and The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard?

I have Redguard, but its a pain to get to work on modern OS. One option that would work is a specific kind of emulator, but thats also one of the few emulators out there and require a purchase. So because of that, I havent actually played it, but it looks bit like Tomb Raider.

Battlespire on the other hand is little bit like Daggerfall, but its nothing but dungeon crawling in pre-made dungeons rather than randomly generated. Or so I gather from the reviews.

I'll probably skip the MMO. Those arent just the types of games I play. It has generated some amusing whining though.

Speaking of Morrowind and MMO's, Im reminded of this old thing I discovered years ago. I guess some people do want to share their trips to the Tamriel.

http://web.archive.org/web/200603222...ine/index.html
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co...detail&id=5331

Havent tried it, because lord knows I've already had enough problems getting some mods to work with each others and this sounds like pure sorcery to me.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen