Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default Dwarf Fortress succession game

Ya! Its yet another combination of Lets play/forum game, and this time its something we cant defeat! Its...

DWARF FORTRESS

Whats a Dwarf Fortress you say? Its kind of a strategy/RPG, a mixture of Rogue, Dungeon Keeper and the Sims spiced up with some extra violence. Its about running a dwarf fortress, building a society, making crafts, weapons and food and such and making sure everyone stays alive.

Staying alive? Thats the hardest part. Its easy to survive from being starved to death, but then there's all kinds of accident that can happen; wild beasts, evil creatures like goblings and of course, the twisted imagination of the player. However, its said that problems and losing is part of the fun of dwarf fortress. And honestly, who doesnt want to see the results of a burning dwarf walking into a warehouse full of booze?

And its freeware too, so anyone can enjoy it. Its however, in ASCII so it might not be for everyone (might want to try out graphic packs though). Its also extremely complex at the beginning. Its also not finished: Its in Alpha state. However, even in this condition the game is extremely playable and if there's bugs, they just make things even more entertaining.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ - Get the game here and give it a try.

Oh, and the forum game? Its your basic "Lets name the dwarfs after forum members and see what happens", with roleplay and all that. However, this one is slightly more interactive, as anyone can join in provided that they at least know how to play Dwarf Fortress.

When does the game end? Never. Its one of those sim games that go on and on and on and on, until all the dwarfs in the fortress are dead or the player gives up.

A succession game (Or Bloodline-game as some call it) players take turns. A player rules the fortress for one year (in-game time of course) in however the way he/she wishes. After the year is gone, save file is zipped, upped here and the next player will continue. Old players can take another turn, provided that no one else wants to join. The player in turn of course posts reports and pics in here.

For a example of succession game, there's three Lets Play's from Something Awful forums, "Boatmurdered", "Headshoots" and "Syrupleaf". I advice reading them, as theyre not only fun, but really show how weird and evil the game can get, not to mention violent.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Headshoots/
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Syrupleaf/

So yeah, If a dwarf is named after you, its most likely gonna die, even if its not in a military.

Okay, so Im asking right now who's thinking of joining in for ruling the fortress? I require that player knows how to play this game, but it doesnt matter If you're good or bad. I of course start, and I intentionally will pick up someplace dangerous (but with wood and water). If you just want a dwarf named after you, post here and If you have any wishes for a profession (although that doesnt mean dwarf wont do other kinds of jobs, or suddenly get drafted into army to fight dragons).

NOTE: When writing reports, you dont have to go all roleplaye like in the examples.

CURRENT STATUS OF THE GAME

Longlost the Ancient Awe-inspiring Mines of Games

Current overseer:
Eagle of Fire
Next overseers: TheChosen, Fubb
Past overseers: None

PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN DWARFED

Name and
Title
Eagle of Fire (Expedition Leader)
TheChosen (Future Legendary Hero)
Fubb (CCIT (Crazy Commander In-training))
Suppa_Mario (Useless Dwarf)
Angry Axe (Axe Dwarf Extraordinaire)
Panthro (Carpenter)
El Quia (Joyful Dwarf)

PEOPLE WAITING TO BE DWARFED

Name and Title/Career wish

Tomekk (Something related to swords)

Last edited by TheChosen; 03-03-2010 at 05:30 PM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm in. I always wanted to play a succession game.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
supa_mario
Abandonia nerd

I would but I always end up losing within two years. Name a really useless dwarf after me. Jewlcrafter or something .
supa_mario is offline                         Send a private message to supa_mario
Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

So TC, when did you plan to start this?

To be frank, I always been very good at starting fortresses but not at running them for a long time. It might be best that I start it up and then allow others to expand.

The only thing is that I'm not up to date with the latest DF innovations. It been a little while since I played last...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
angry axe
O for Awesome

my DF skills be rusty, and ended up almost destrying my computer after the guards refused to station themselves at the entrance (i had 8 children stolen and 5 were brought back after caravans defeated the goblins)...... maybe you could name an axe dwarf after me?
"war has changed. its no longer about nations ideologies or ethnicity, its an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life - has become a well oiled machine" - Solid Snake
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Panthro
Man of Science

I have absolutely no clue how to play DF, would need to sit down and read through the manual, cos it's definately not obvious what to do for a noob.

Anyway, put me down for some sort of woodcutter/carpenter type of dwarf.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

I know a little bit about the game, I mostly played the rogue-part of it though. Name the most bad-ass swordsman after me

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Hey, never played Dwarf Fortress and, although I would love to play it, I am not in the mood for learning yet. So maybe some other time I will join, but certainly not now. Buuuut! I would like that there is a dwarf named for me. Just put my name on some dwarf, and let the joy and merriment begins!
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
So TC, when did you plan to start this?

To be frank, I always been very good at starting fortresses but not at running them for a long time. It might be best that I start it up and then allow others to expand.

The only thing is that I'm not up to date with the latest DF innovations. It been a little while since I played last...
Sure. Works for me. I think I might actually enjoy the challenge of "taking over a fortress".

I thought starting after we have 5 players up for ruling the fortress, so 3 more. 2 If mr axe joins us. And Axe, thats how Dwarf Fortress sometimes works.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Ok then. If I am to start the fortress, I'll start ASAP. No point in waiting for nothing since dwarves can always be renamed later on anyways. And since I take a long time to play, it will only be for the better.

The only thing is that I'd like to know what kind of settings would be best. What size? What kind of dangerous conditions should we aim for? Etc.