Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #181
Godz

Shot in the dark, here, if anyone can help me with various problems I'm having.

1 - I have MM4 and 5, but, cannot get them to "find" each other or whatever to create the linked "World" game. Any ideas?

2 - When I run this game in DosBox, it works, but its slow, and there's no music. When I run it with VDMSound, the music plays, but the game animation is incredibly fast! Any solutions?
Godz is offline                         Send a private message to Godz
Old 03-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #182
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Pur MM4 files into a directory and then put MM5 files in the same place. Try running MM5. This should work... _I think_

2. In DosBox, change the soundcard emulation to SBPRO2 (instead of SB16) and increase the number of cycles DosBox is running at. Make sure the game's setup is configured correctly to match the emulated soundcard type and its IRQ, DMA (etc) values.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #183
Godz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 3 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]241218[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
1. Pur MM4 files into a directory and then put MM5 files in the same place. Try running MM5. This should work... _I think_

2. In DosBox, change the soundcard emulation to SBPRO2 (instead of SB16) and increase the number of cycles DosBox is running at. Make sure the game's setup is configured correctly to match the emulated soundcard type and its IRQ, DMA (etc) values.
[/b]

Thanks, but I'd been trying number 1 already and it didnt work. I'll try your DosBox suggestion, however, I've never edited anything on it before LOL

EDIT: Alright, I finally got the games to recognize each other (When I put them both in a new directory I called C:\Xeen it worked). Even with some tinkering around, I can't get proper sound in DosBox. The game now runs perfectly in VDMSound, BUT....the music tempo is too slow, if this makes any sense. Is there any way to speed it up? If not I'll just deal with it cause I love these games.

Second EDIT: Actually now I've got it working near perfect in DosBox! So this'll keep me busy for a while, at least until my girlfriend starts griping that she's bored and wants to go do something. <_<
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #184
Godz

Just for the record, though, how DO I change the soundblaster settings like you mentioned? I'm looking at the readme for dosbox and I dont understand
Old 04-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #185
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The settings are stored in DosBox.conf file in the program directory. I suggest you familiarize yourself with working on it pretty fast.
The start menu DosBox cathegory also includes a link to DosBox.conf.

More on the config file here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #186
Godz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 4 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]241420[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The settings are stored in DosBox.conf file in the program directory. I suggest you familiarize yourself with working on it pretty fast.
The start menu DosBox cathegory also includes a link to DosBox.conf.

More on the config file here.
[/b]
Thanks I'd been trying to find a way to access the conf. file, I couldnt find it for some reason but there it is in the start menu. Now its perfect
Old 07-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #187
RichardMV

I have a really evil nagging issue that, although my DL-ed version of the game has been working fine up to this point, is keeping me from proceding. Finding an online PDF of the Clouds of Xeen manual and aqcuireing Lloyd Beacon has allowed me to get by all of the "copyright protection" so far, and I can link between worlds, get sound working, etc. I've managed to get my characters up to level 61, and have gone to all but a few of the last locations in both games (and am able to take on nearly any enemy with ease). However, I recently (upon finally having enough GP to be able to afford it) returned to the Eastern tower to read the book of Great Knowledge (or whatever it is called), which gives each character "+5 levels (permanent)", but makes them lose all skills. Then, I excitedly teleported back to Shangri La using Lloyd's Beacon so that I could go to the guy that offers all secondary skills for 100,000 GP per character. Upon arriving at Shangri La, I saved for some stupid reason... that's where my trouble began.

Now, whenever I go back to the clouds of Xeen world, I am unable to move without using a teleport spell (I hear the sound of running into an object wherever I move), and all areas appear without walls or monsters, however objects like towns, tents, buildings, etc. are all still there (and usually accessable, although there's "nothing there" whenever I go up to the counters/podiums in Shangri La, the place I REALLY need to get to to get all my secondary abilities back.

If anyone can help me with this issue (without saying restart the game... please don't say that... unless that's the only option...) I'd really appreciate it. I had Darkside of Xeen when I was 8 (when it first came out) and my cousin and I LOVED the game and played it religiously and multiple times, struggling with the puzzles which now seem laughable and eventually reaching the final "battle" scene. We always wanted to have Clouds so we could really finish the game, and now I finally have it... Yay for the memories!
RichardMV is offline                         Send a private message to RichardMV
Old 07-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #188
RichardMV

Okay, I went through the entire thread to reply to every question that I could answer that hadn't yet been addressed (or that I could add more detail to) and respond to a few things. The responses go from most recent back. I know it's a bit long, sorry... Also, I think the quoting thing isn't working, which might not be fun for reading...

Quote:
Am I the only one who will purchase a game to justify my piracy? Half the time you need to do some light of hand to get your game running anyways, it's just easier to aquire a cracked/hacked/edited version of the game, but I buy it anyways just to be an honest, law abiding pirate.
I buy games that are still sold, and download games that are no longer published (anything N64 or previous, computer games 1995 or so or older). I'll probably end up getting one of the collections, but I really had a strong urge to play the game again, so I had to get it ASAP, and downloading is quicker than waiting for a box from Amazon or E-bay.

As for my DL-ing... I only play to try, I never keep anything I've DL-ed once I'm done with it, which I view as fair. If I like it enough that I would buy it, I will. I view that as fair, moral piracy. Afterall, if the company isn't making any money on the game (as is the case with abandonware and other things that are no longer produced), what's the problem? Am I the only one that looks at it that way?

Quote:
i own this game from way back in the day(and can verify this with photographs) but I went to install it again the other day and some of the many floppies are corrupted . I can't find an english language abandonware version of it anywhere, can someone help me out?
Search some torrents sites for "World of Xeen" and you'll find a set of old PC games. That's where I got it. Unfortunately you'll have to have all the other games, but it's worth the wait. It also has DosBox in the pack, so that will probably save you time getting that.

Quote:
Also I cannot depart vertigo ... like other gamers, I've typed 4 or 5 letters for the password and "INCORRECT" keeps popping up. (YES.. I've run the game using "GO.BAT") :tai: IF I had enough gold, could I purchase a JUMP spell and jump over the outer City walls?
Jump spells won't let you go through walls (no spell will give you that ability), plus, because each area is seperate, the only way to go from one to the next is through a designated passageway (for example, the door from Vertigo to the outside). If you Google -"Clouds of Xeen" manual pdf- you should be able to find it (perhaps leave off the pdf if that doesn't help). There's a game manuals site that I ended up finding it on, but I don't remember the address, sorry...

Quote:
I would have posted copy codes, but they're already up. Also, I can upload the others if people are interested, though 6 thru 9 are considered off limits because they are still sold occasionally (Check around on ebay to find them cheap). Don't want 3DO breathing down my neck. Not to mention that the games are huge.
3DO went through Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is no longer with us. I don't know who has the rights to the old games, now, but you can probably find them if you know where to look (search torrent sites *cough*)

Quote:
Im not sure Im pretty new to my computer and im not sure exactly what i have to do to get it to run on my computer.Im not really sure ,what is dos Box? Thanx for responding
Dosbox is a dos emulator, which means that it makes your computer 'think' that it's running off of Dos, fixing many of the compatibility issues you might face trying to run many old games off of a computer running XP. I found it when I downloaded a set of really old computer games (including World of Xeen, which is what I got the set for to begin with).

Quote:
How do you catch the chest in Castleview? It's been so long since I've played this game that I don't remember.
Ellinger will tell it to stay still after you talk with him for the first time... just go into the room with the chest and chase it for a bit and eventually it will stop in the middle for you.

Quote:
About age: The game shouldn't last long enough for normal aging to cripple your characters. However, some monsters have the ability to age your party. Mostly undead. If you suspect you're facing these monsters, save. Save a lot. I don't remember if World offers anything like Isle's Fountain of Youth; if it does, you can afford to be a little more aggressive, since that will remove any monster-induced aging. If it doesn't, treat age-making monsters like they're instant killers; if your characters get stuck with an additional 300 years distributed throughout the party, they'll be pretty well useless.
In Necropolis, the books of the dead will age a character anywhere from 25 to 100 years (while giving them lots of free exp). Fortunately, once you get the jewel back from... can't remember where it was, now... and take it to the fountain of youth in the south-east corner of Darkside, you can easily cure all artificial aging on your party. In Clouds, you have to take items between four druids, but that's much more tedious (although you'll need a higher level party to get the fountain of youth activated).

Quote:
I finished all the dwarven mine levels(1-5), and i found the word that probably leads to the dwarven king.But the cart won't move
The word i found was aipha.
Could you guys tell me what word have you used to reach him?
Deep mines = Alpha, Kappa, Theta, Omega

Quote:
Also, a bug in the game, any item other than armor that is made up of material (like medals, amulets) does not give AC bonus's, thus are worthless to wear.

Example. A Obsidian medal. Obsidian on armor gives +20 ac, obsidian on a medal gives... nothing. Thus a steel medal and a obsidian medal both do absolutely nothing. I found this out sadly half way through the game.
I don't think this was a bug. I think it's sort of like what you see in Dungeons and Dragons: the items are just intended as money makers. Afterall, we have valuable diamond rings in the real world that don't do anything useful, but are still extremely valuable, so why can't the game?

Quote:
BY THE WAY, I RETURNED THE WHISTLE(WHICH I FOUND IN THE FOREST FULL OF UNDEAD) TO THE NPC SOUTH OF VERTIGO (ON A SMALL ISLAND, USE THE JUMP SPELL), HE TOLKED ABAUT STATUES THAT CAN TEACH CURE POISEN, BUT I NEVER FOUND THE STATUES?
They're in the woods close to Vertigo... to the north I think, and west of the flute man (I can't remember exactly, right now...). Of course... you're probably not having this issue now...

Quote:
is the combat similar like in Ultima underworld? or more like in Eye of beholder?
Eye of the Beholder, but with GP, more NPCs (compared to Eye's severe lack thereof), and much, much longer. Think Baulders Gate's town exploration, treasure hunting, and questing, combined with Eye's first person style.
RichardMV is offline                         Send a private message to RichardMV
Old 07-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #189

Is this anywhere that you can purchase a *download* of this game? My laptop doesn't have a working CD drive right now, so I don't think the millenium edition that is on the link will work for me. Or am I just SOL until I get a new CD drive?

A.

Old 14-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #190
RichardMV

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 7 2006, 04:06 AM) [snapback]242050[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is this anywhere that you can purchase a *download* of this game? My laptop doesn't have a working CD drive right now, so I don't think the millenium edition that is on the link will work for me. Or am I just SOL until I get a new CD drive?

A.
[/b]
You can find it for free, but because it's still sold, I can't tell you where to find it. Plus, the search is half the fun. I don't think there's a pay download, anywhere, otherwise, I'd be pointing you and my browser there right now.