Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #1
Frozed

Can't download and takes ages to get into forums. Not even login works is timeout. Sometimes site says this also. Even to post this is ages and tries five times now.

Last edited by Japo; 23-12-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Old 23-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
santa claus
Lurker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozed View Post
Can't download and takes ages to get into forums. Not even login works is timeout. Sometimes site says this also. Even to post this is ages and tries five times now.
Us too.

It has taken all day waiting for the site to work again so we could download the lemmings game for our kids to play, as the site was reportedly offline for many hours:
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/abandonia.com.html

Now it is so slow that sometimes it will have a sad face and say "www.abandonia.com" took too long to respond on a page (the adverts load fine) or not connect at all to a page we want to visit.

Sometimes it is double posting and comes up saying, "wait". After pushing OK, it might double post whatever was written.

Maybe it's AT&T and the Christmas rush stressing the network.

Or the fact that the computer is powered by Elves and Reindeer and Christmas Magic.
santa claus is offline                         Send a private message to santa claus
Old 27-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
At least the forum has been slow for a very long time. I have tried to ask the owners to do something about it but they don't know what's wrong. The website and downloads used to be better (after blocking ads) but I visit it less often
We are talking not _that_ sort of slow, Japo. Forums was horrible slow just yesterday. I spent half of day trying to open my private messages.

Today it's returned to its usual self.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Darth Helmet

What's really sad is that the guy came back and was transparent about everything, highlighting exactly what the issue was and how simple it was to cause a problem for many people.

With the state of the place, a syn-flood might have taken the whole webserver offline...

I don't believe it was the same guy as last time - what kind of idiot does the same thing twice, after saying they did it?

What is childish is to not be adult enough to not give someone a second chance after several years and for a keyboard warrior to flex their muscles.

But then... what are you going to do..? Vet every user that signs in?
Block every IP/range? (is that your only strategy for defense? Because it stinks and isn't preventative)

I believe it was not revenge - it was a statement that this site is running on http, on an Apache/2.2.14 Ubuntu server since april and is full of holes.

Heaven forbid that someone would do the same thing to 5.79.76.136 / files.abandonia.com using a bot-net. Only 1.9k out of the 3.9k visitors to abandonia.com actually find what they are looking for and get off there... This has plummeted. (Thanks GoG, you legal pirates)

There's even the issue of reloaded.org being on the same server as abandonia... So, effectively - that's a way to get through to abandonia, while (for someone who might not care) using reloaded.org as an entry point.

Abandonia earns the owners roughly 1450 euros per month. Through slave labour.
Reloaded, a little less - the file hosts, less also.

Therefore, in order to protect from such downtime - because if someone wanted to use a bot-net to cripple the site and files - it might be worthwhile looking in at some professional protection.

Or at least learning a little about the world of internet and gaming and tomfoolery that's available to people in 2018, rather than 2008.

It's a shame that Kosta sold out and it's now a business - otherwise it would be free..:
https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/

However, any kind of DDoS protection is not going to stop a user taking advantage of such an open system and an old vbulliten forum from which someone decided to steal all the passwords and emails (you guys don't make many friends, huh..? nor upgrade the vbulliten to a more secure version...). Also, obfuscated IP's can be reached without such protection, so...

It was only because it was christmas and I fancied playing some old text-adventures that I returned to the site to discover there was a ban in place from several years ago (there are many others "abandonware" sites now... can play most of these games in browsers or get DRM free from GoG-pirate pirates).

There is very little community here, compared to what there used to be... and it is rather sad to see how the place has crumbled over the years.

Yet, when someone decides to take a few hours out of their time to try and contribute, the only way to bring to light these things is through methods such as this. Then they get smacked down even harder - good job, guys - that's the spirit!

Sorry if I embarassed you Gx, but - why would I need a ban lifted in order to gain an account here and contribute - how do you now I am not a sock puppet working hard on the Abandoned Times..?

Asking about a ban was merely a courtesy.

There may be some lovely people here (ola, privet, ciao und halo), but the guys in green suck harder than a vacuum in a jar.

After this episode - I find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to involve themselves with these people or contribute to the place, when there are many more deserving projects..?

Mm excluded.

(incidentally, from South and North America, the connection time is very slow - it even said waiting for socket. Evidently someone has read the post and decided to have a go).

Have a happy new year, all.

It's 40+ degrees here, so I hope it's not as hot as to fry eggs on the computer case where you are.

Bye!

Old 23-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Question

I also regularly use IsItDownRightNow? to check how the site is.

In the case of Abandonia, although the IsItDownRightNow? indicates that the site is down, Abandonia usually reloads pages (very) slowly.

I tested the site and tried to download any game, 11 MB, and the download was completed quickly and without problems.

You cannot imagine the problem of previous months in which for me to reply, preview and post or edit took each operation about 13 to 20 minutes! To post two posts, I took 2 hours! I suggest patience, because now the slowness is much smaller.

Mystery Solved!

Last edited by Mystvan; 24-12-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 29-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Evil Santa
Thumbs up

Yeah, I left you a whole bunch of TCP packets and incomplete requests on every socket, under your Christmas tree as a gift for the holidays.

Maybe next time you'll think twice before keep a grudge for nearly a decade.

"Oh help, we need help, it's all over the forums (along with adverts) and someone has asked if they can return to help out, because they loved the place but had a bad time of it several years ago".

"No, go away, you're permanently banned for something you did in 2010".

Happy new year, Japo - you could've been nice at Christmas, but you weren't.
Some people never change - but then again, some do.

I can be uncompromisingly vindictive too, since that's how you decided to play it.

So - from the 23rd until the 27th I slowed the site, esp for those who's ping would be higher than 30ms (it's far more annoying than taking it offline... and I noticed Gx and Mm and a "hidden" user came online to allow me to mitm their login details).

A special Christmas gift for you all. Courtesy of Japo, cabron.
Santa Claus sock puppet was even created and posted from the same IP address as the unwanted guest you threw out like trash..! (At Christmas...)

It could've been very different...

You might've given someone a chance to redeem themselves, working 10 times as hard as before in some act of atonement for the sins of a previous life.

But - denied.

Therefore - denied.

I'll ask again next Christmas.
Maybe you'll be nicer then.

Also, I'm fine thanks, Capo - it was nice to see you again

Hope you're well and doing fine!

Last edited by Japo; 02-01-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Old 30-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Santa View Post
Yeah, I left you a whole bunch of TCP packets and incomplete requests on every socket, under your Christmas tree as a gift for the holidays.

Maybe next time you'll think twice before keep a grudge for nearly a decade.
With that you prove YOURSELF why the ban on the account will stay.
Why YOU are the one who can't be trusted.

I do not need to think twice on the matter.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Question

Is it too much of a coincidence or is the website slow again?

I do not care so much despite being a bit annoying since it could be some technical problem whatsoever.

But... If those problems were acts of revenge, well... it would be a bit childish, right? After all, if the person in question wants to take revenge on another, do not involve the other people unaware of the problem.

To deal with the Revenge of the Sith Lord, nothing better than calling Luke Skywalker. Or Lord Darth Helmet.

Look out, Luke. Do not lock your heart by becoming a Lockheart, but becoming brave like Lionheart. I wish you good luck, Luke! May the Force (and luck) be with you!

Last edited by Mystvan; 03-01-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Closed Thread