Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Ok, it's like this:

Could you name me some (aproximately 8-10, from each) mythical creatures from the books: Iliad and The Odyssey?
I need this for a little project I want to do and I believe asking would be a better solution than reading through a 1000 pages for me in this case.

I appreciate the effortand help.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 05-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Erm, what makes you think there are mythical creatures in the Iliad? For the Odyssey, there's the sirens and Polyphemos, I suppose, but that's about it, really.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm not sure if these are in that certain book but I know of Kracken and Roc.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 05-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
Kearnsy
Games Master

Well, I remember the Cyclops, there were some giants as well and a sorceress or an entchantress (if that counts)
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 05-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Mar 5 2006, 02:49 PM
Erm, what makes you think there are mythical creatures in the Iliad? For the Odyssey, there's the sirens and Polyphemos, I suppose, but that's about it, really.
? :blink: No mythical creatures in the Iliad?
The reason I asked was that my literature teacher gave me an assignment:
"Compare the mythical creatures from the Odyssey and the Iliad".

This is now a joke. Heh, I really thought that there were some m.c. in both of them... I guess I'll just mix in some other creatures from Heroes3 into the project just to fill it up.

Err... Weren't there any;

Minotaurs, Cyclopses, Harpies, Hydras, Medusas, Myrmidons, Gorgons, Scyllas etc. in EITHER of these??? :blink: puzzling...
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Gelfo
Game freak

Dammit.. I was going to say cyclops..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Chimera is also one isn't it?
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Kearnsy
Games Master

The Illiad is the story of Troy, so besides some gods and Achilles, I dont think there are going to be any!
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 05-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

The only "mythical creatures" in the Iliad were some sea-snakes (who killed Laokoon, a trojan priest, on Poseidon's behalf) and the great number of "mythical heroes" like Herakles and others, at least to my knowledge.

The Odysee had Poliphemos (the cyclops), the sirens, a witch, cannibals, Skylla and Charyptis (sp?) - two gigantic sea-monsters - and I believe that was about it as well. It's been a while since I took greater interest in any of those, so excuse me if I forgot some things.

There's however an abundance of such creatures in the whole of greek mythology, like the Minotaurus, the Hydra (a beast with multiple heads, for each that's cut off, two new ones emerge), the pegasus (winged horse), the cyclops, the titans, the unicorn, harpies (crossbreeds between women/witches and birds of prey), The Rok (a gigantic bird whose wings make the sound of thunder), Argus (a creature with eyes all over his body), Cerberus, the three-headed K9 guarding the gates of the underworld... and many, many more which I can't remember right now.

As an interesting side-fact, many of those "monsters" were considered to be Hera's children, who was Zeus' wife and stepmother of ill-fated Herakles...

The game "God of War" for PS2 features a lot of greek mythology, and while not absolutely true to its sources all the time, gives a great - and wonderfully designed - overview over the creatures of greek mythology.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by troop18546@Mar 5 2006, 01:39 PM
Minotaurs, Cyclopses, Harpies, Hydras, Medusas, Myrmidons, Gorgons, Scyllas etc. in EITHER of these??? :blink: puzzling...
Minotaurs: definitely not
Cyclops: yes, one in the Odyssey (Polyphemos)
Harpies: no, that's Orestes, not Odysseus (or does Orestes get a mention in the Odyssey? I forget)
Hydra: definitely not; that would be Heracles
Medusa: nope
Myrmidons, Gorgons: not that I'm aware of
Scylla: I thought that was in the story of Iason and the golden fleece, but I'm not entirely sure

Circe and Calypso are sorceresses, but they hardly qualify as mythical creatures...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles