Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
jukingeo

Default DosBox--Do games need to be installed?

Hello all,

I have a question in regards to game installation in terms of use with DosBox. I have followed the directions for installing DosBox and I have followed the directions for creating a directory for each game that I have downloaded and set up to play.

The first game I set up, Dark Seed, played without a problem.

However, another game I tried out said it required an installation.

Now I don't know how things fully work with Dosbox outside of the initial tutorial, but what do you do when you have a game that normally was installed from a CD? (but now downloaded from this site).

Also while I am on the topic, I have a bunch of old Dos games on CD that I would like to play. Do those have to be installed in any special way?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Geo
jukingeo is offline                         Send a private message to jukingeo
Old 30-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

which tutorial was you using?

you need to understand that with mount command, dosbox simply replaces your real patsh with imaginary ones, so the games would think it's the imaginary

for example mount c: D:\dosgames\ would make things that run in dosbox think that stuff in directory d:\dosgames is drive C.

if you want to install something it doesn't need any special treatment if you are gonna run everything in dosbox. its just gonna put stuff physicaly on your drive directory with dos games that has been mounted, while it will act like it's located simply on C: (or differently chosen) drive. and you will acces it as C: as well.

so wanna install a game? no problem, act like it was a normal dos system, just know that the files will be stored elsewhere, there where you mounted it

btw if you want to mount a cdrom drive use mount x: y:\ -t cdrom command, where x: is what is your virtual cdrom gonna be called like and y: what is the patch to the real location that will act like a cdrom in dosbox
Old 30-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Do those have to be installed in any special way?
Nope, at least not in one any more special than the one they were normally installed on DOS computers.

Quote:
However, another game I tried out said it required an installation.

Now I don't know how things fully work with Dosbox outside of the initial tutorial, but what do you do when you have a game that normally was installed from a CD? (but now downloaded from this site).
The game is most likely referring to sound setup.
Have a look at other COM, EXE and BAT files in the game directory. One of them should run the setup utility so you can configure sound (and possibly some other things).

Per default DOSBox emulates Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220, HDMA 3. If there is no option for Sound Blaster 16, choose the highest Sound Blaster version the game supports (keeping in mind that the Pro series succeeded the originals).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
jukingeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
which tutorial was you using?

you need to understand that with mount command, dosbox simply replaces your real patsh with imaginary ones, so the games would think it's the imaginary

for example mount c: D:\dosgames\ would make things that run in dosbox think that stuff in directory d:\dosgames is drive C.

if you want to install something it doesn't need any special treatment if you are gonna run everything in dosbox. its just gonna put stuff physicaly on your drive directory with dos games that has been mounted, while it will act like it's located simply on C: (or differently chosen) drive. and you will acces it as C: as well.

so wanna install a game? no problem, act like it was a normal dos system, just know that the files will be stored elsewhere, there where you mounted it

btw if you want to mount a cdrom drive use mount x: y:\ -t cdrom command, where x: is what is your virtual cdrom gonna be called like and y: what is the patch to the real location that will act like a cdrom in dosbox
Oh, I got the mounting thing down. I have it saved so that it navigates to my directory too, that was no problem. As I said I was able to download Dark Seed and play it, but now I downloaded Bioforge and unzipped it. In the contents I saw an install executable and I am not sure what to do with it. Do I just run the game executeable or do I have to install it. I am not sure what to do there. With DosBox do games run direct, or do they have to be installed somewhere like in old Dos.
Old 30-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
jukingeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Nope, at least not in one any more special than the one they were normally installed on DOS computers.

The game is most likely referring to sound setup.
Have a look at other COM, EXE and BAT files in the game directory. One of them should run the setup utility so you can configure sound (and possibly some other things).

Per default DOSBox emulates Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220, HDMA 3. If there is no option for Sound Blaster 16, choose the highest Sound Blaster version the game supports (keeping in mind that the Pro series succeeded the originals).
Nope, there is a an install executable, not a setup.bat or anything.

So do I have to go into Dosbox, navigate to the folder I made and then just hit install?

Bear with me, it has been a LONG while since I ran Dos games and most of them ran from a disc. So that would be my next question. I do have many old Dos game discs and I am sure they are probably going to ask to be installed as well.

At any rate Bioforge is the next game I am looking into and it does have the Install.exe file. But there is also a game executable to, so I am kind of stuck with what I should do. I don't want to do something and it is going to install stuff all over my computer IF you know what I mean.

Thanx,

Geo
Old 30-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Do I just run the game executeable or do I have to install it. I am not sure what to do there.
Most games on Abandonia and other abandonware sites come pre-installed. So you first try running the game itself and then check for any configuration utilities if there's something wrong with sound options.
Quote:
I don't want to do something and it is going to install stuff all over my computer IF you know what I mean.
What's ran in DOSBox - stays in DOSBox, if you get my meaning. No program you run within DOSBox will have access to any directories or drives you have not mounted.
Quote:
With DosBox do games run direct, or do they have to be installed somewhere like in old Dos.
This depends on whether the game came pre-installed or not. If it didn't (like those original CD's you said you own), you'll need to install it yourself - which is going to work every bit the same like in regular DOS.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

just don't worry, it acts like real dos. and keeps your real system untouched whatever you install in it. that's what emulator is after all

edit: just don't mount c: as c: and install another OS on it lol