Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

I found a new config:
Pentium 4 550 3,4 gigs Socket775 (but as Picard said ill search for a mother board with sockets for both procesors)
512 RAm
128 Video card - RadeonX300SE(designed for PCIE)
PCIE(1) and PCI(3) slots
250gb HD

I think that this processor is good enough for games altough i found some more information in a PC magazine - the I/O or GB/s :blink: (what is this) are 1 for all pentiums and 3,2 or 6,4 for the amd's.
Old 24-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Astral
Abandonia nerd

Nice tower but the thing that i should tell you to change is in memory... It is better to have 2 X 256 MB than 1 X 512 MB memory, the first one is more efective than the second... k:
Astral is offline                         Send a private message to Astral
Old 24-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

Please tell me why?
Old 24-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #14
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by yamcha565656@Jan 24 2005, 03:43 PM
I found a new config:
Pentium 4 550 3,4 gigs Socket775 (but as Picard said ill search for a mother board with sockets for both procesors)
512 RAm
128 Video card - RadeonX300SE(designed for PCIE)
PCIE(1) and PCI(3) slots
250gb HD

I think that this processor is good enough for games altough i found some more information in a PC magazine - the I/O or GB/s* :blink: (what is this) are 1 for all pentiums and 3,2 or 6,4 for the amd's.
I didn't mean you should look for a board with both sockets as you will not find it (there are none). I meant to say you need a board that is up to date and does not have a socket for which no new CPU's are going to be launched. The one you have picket now is up to date.

The CPU is nice and fast, no doubt about it. This will be sufficient for years to come. Still try and find one with an AMD64 processor and see what the price difference is.

Forget what Astral said, it is untrue. It is better to have your memory on one DIMM (the card that memory commes on). That way it is easier to expand it once you want more.
512MB is not a lot these days but it is sufficient for most. You will need to upgrade in 12-18 months to 1024MB

Your main problem here is once again the graphics card. The X300 is pretty crap. The FX5500 was actually better then this one. The good thing is since you have PCIe upgrading to a better model becommes easier. If you where to buy this though understand that within a few months you will want to upgrade your Vidcard as it is plain THAT bad.

The size of your Harddisk is largely a personal preference. 240GB is enough to have everything you own in terms of software installed with room to spare (for me anyway). I don't see the need for this to be any bigger then what it is and could possibly be a little smaller if it saves enough money.

All in all a big improvement over your last computer

If you know could you post the name of the motherboard? I want to check out what it is.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 24-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

I found some Atholon 64 but without the PCIE so i decided not to choose it. But i hope that ill find something new k:
Old 24-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

I just ordered a new rig. 1000 euro's exact

3000+ amd processor
1gb ram
160gb hd
gforce 6600 gt 128mb
dvd-burner
extra usb / storagecard reader

I bought some of teh stuff from a more expensive brand. Though I don't exactly remember the names. Better coolants and such.

I'll add the exact specs when I have them
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 24-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #17
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

So the conclusion i made so far is that i must search a AMD 64 CPU with a PCIE slot. And thats what ill do.
Old 24-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #18
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I bought a brand new computer save for a monitor for under €1000. The only thing you need to have beforehand is an OS.

I got this rig in December.

AMD64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard
1024MB DDR 400 3200 DDR
2X120 GB HDD
Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB (want to upgrade this soon)
Antec Case + 350Watt powersupply.

Works like a charm. Only Doom3 has some issues in certain areas of outdoor maps but that is an issue of the slightly underpowered VidCard.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 24-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #19
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

That reminds me... is there a way to see how much power your whole system needs, and how much it uses at the moment?
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 24-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #20
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

@Picard
Dont worry about Doom. Even on the gamebox it says that its recomned to gave a 512 video (that exist!!)

So Is a antholon 64 and PCIE is a good combination???