From dutch guy to dutch guy: Op je plaats rust
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #22
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I agree with Paul.
Anyway i sense a flame war soon because of this, so i think everyone will witness it first hand :angry:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 AM   #23
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Yes..

I had a conversation with Data about this (on the PM way)...next time i will use some more friendly words and not the flaming way...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Oh well - I've been away for a while now, so I couldn't react sooner, but:

-fake posts are possible... unfortunately
-If you don't like it, go play somewhere else... not that easy

Now let me explain. I don't have to be on abandonia, but someone else could be posting in the shoutbox using my name. That person could have converstions and even though 'I'd play' somwhere else, I'd be the only one who'd know...
Since I've made quite a few friends here I wouldn't like someone else to talk to them in my name because:
1. I'm not a part of the converstion, so I won't know what my friend is telling me
2. Someone else would be saying thing in my name, so the person, who's on the other side of the converstion will get a wrong picture about me (woudln't have to be, that they'll think less of me, but they have a wron opinio0n about who I am)
3. If nothing else, it's illegal to take somebody elses identity and punishable by law!

I know it doesn't sound serious- someone posted under my name, but then again - 'someone orderd 20 pizzas in the middle of the night to my address' doesn't sound serious either... It's a prank call and people might think it's not hurting anyone - iut's just a joke, but it isn't so:
1) Someone has to pay the bill.
2) The people getting the pizzas will have big trouble ordering at that piztza-delivery again. They won't be willing to accept their orders because they too will have in mind the possibility it's a phoney call.

So such jokes are serious, even if that doesn't sound like much!

Now a question - can the shoutbox be aranged so, that once you log in your identity is the name you have to use in the shoutbox as well? That way no-one could post as someone else...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #25
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Like i said Ip taging is the way to go!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #26
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

The shoutbox isn't part of the invision power board files but a service delivered by this webpage: http://www.myshoutbox.com

All entries are logged together with IP-address, so if there's an incident there's always the possibility to track down who was the real poster regardless of the nickname that was used to post the entry.

There are plenty of alternatives for a shoutbox but I quite like this one because of the design and that it doesn't take up a lot of space. I actually think it's an advantage that you don't have to be registered to be able to post in the shoutbox. We strife to be an open community.
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #27
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes i agree that loging on to to say something in shoutbox is not practical.After all the shoutbox is made so you can quickly say something.That's why i'm proposing a more subtile measure, ip taging(getting tired of saying this ).The principle is pretty simple, but somebody has to do the taging job; now this could take a while (1337 members i think :whistle: )
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #28
Data
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 9 2005, 12:31 PM

Since I've made quite a few friends here I wouldn't like someone else to talk to them in my name because:
1. I'm not a part of the converstion, so I won't know what my friend is telling me
2. Someone else would be saying thing in my name, so the person, who's on the other side of the converstion will get a wrong picture about me (woudln't have to be, that they'll think less of me, but they have a wron opinio0n about who I am)
Maybe it would be an idea to put a warning on top of it saying don't believe everything said in the shoutbox........

I would personally think that it would be very "not smart" to believe everything said in the shoutbox.

the name itself allready gives credit to it's reputation shoutbox

I appear to be on my own here. Well i will continue to post under different names if it would be funy for the situation. Unless it's explicitly forbidden.

The fact that it's illegal to pretend to be somebody else brings up the question:
why should usernames in 2 different systems (shoutbox and a forum) belong to same person. people believing that to be true will face great difficulties.... (being prone to whatever mallicous thing on the internet)
Old 09-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #29
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Data@Jan 8 2005, 05:00 PM
First of all: you don't have to use the shoutbox....
if you don't like don't use it!

Fake posts are possible and are part of the fun. if you don't like go play somewhere else.

I occasionally post under a different name just for the fun of it.

The shoutbox is the only unmoderated and to some extend anonymous place on this site. I personally think it's a nice place for informal things and for some fun.
i wouldnt be very amused if someone impersonated me on it. i dont use it so i wouldnt even know.

faking other people on the internet is very bad etiquette!
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 09-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #30
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Data@Jan 9 2005, 11:49 AM
I appear to be on my own here. Well i will continue to post under different names if it would be funy for the situation. Unless it's explicitly forbidden.

It`s forbidden to use a name that can people remind to me DATA...

So all that can arrange to me it`s forbidden by now...

Get it??