Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Captain Bible in the Dome of Darkness

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
DrLeatherface

I for one believe religion is a silly business, but this game is so ridiculous I simply had to download it and witness the pixelated power of god.
It's pretty bad, but still enjoyable for 10 minutes or so before I need to go back to my usual gaming habbits.
The power of Christ compels me...
DrLeatherface is offline                         Send a private message to DrLeatherface
Old 11-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Oskatat
Game freak

first, my opinion (sorry): if you do not like religious games, dont play them. Its like tv. noone is forcing you to watch violence, sex, or religion. There are dozens of channels and, as a final solution, there is an actual off button.

Otherwise, I do like games that challenge my knowledge. There are many games here that ask questions about history and geography or zoology and such. They ask for facts however, like "what colour is this animal", "when was this war" or "where lies the place x". I believe there even is a game somewhere where you visit all the spots that are important in the bible and have to answer questions on what happened there.

They do not however ask for an -interpretation-. They do not ask you to explain this event or those texts. My problem in this game is that they give a version of interpretation of biblical texts and present them as true, while even within christianity there is no complete consensus on every meaning

Keeping that out of the picture, combat isnt too imaginative, nor is it a very famous, popular or otherwise distinctive game. At least, not from what i read or tried myself. What i question most of all is the score of 5 out of 5.

The game is about the bible, but mostly about the text, so original. You're in a world with high tech stuff and robots but you use a sword (spirit), right. You have to convinve the council, probably with the same verses, or at least a limited number of them, so low replayability. Combat sounds and seemed, as mentioned, slightly boring after you get the hang of it.

from the review: sound and graphics are good, granted. Teaching valuable lessons and truths, debatable, as shown extensively and exhaustively before this. So, 1 point for grahics, 1 for sound, 1/2 for moral teachings (please dont go in there) still doesnt make a 5 to me

Last edited by Oskatat; 11-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Capo
Unconventional member

5/5 ? Mmmmm, dont agree.
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Oskatat
Game freak

i think we all (almost all) agree that 5/5 is too much. At least 1 thing to agree on!

by the way, isnt it supposed to be called an abomination of a thread and not an abortion of one? you might start the next debate right there!
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hehehe hopefully not
Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

I just got informed that there will be no festivities at the end of this year. Somebody already stole Hanukkah because we were occupied with arguing about HIM.
Old 18-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
drDooM888

Talking lol

It's pretty hard to talk about this game without mentioning religion, it is a religious game after all!

I thought this game looked pretty cool! Although games like this and christian rock probably do more damage to christianity than Monty Pithon and Ned Flanders put together

I actually found it hard to tell if the reviewer was being sarcastic with his "teaches valuable truths" comment!

The statement is offensive because it insists the beleifs of cristianity are TRUE, rather than merely opinions, but this is the basis for all religions.

I actually think it is nice that we can talk about religion, politics etc and not be arrested, burned at the stake or whatever for our opinions. To that end I suggest not deleting the posts, as that would itself be an act of gross intolerence, and against free speech, of which the internet is a wonderfull proponent, which we, as non chinese, take forgranted.

I actually though about making a bhuddist game once, then I realised it would suck, and put people off the religion in much the same way games like the subject of this post do :P . Just look at the inflamed response!

This is actually quite an interesting game. Such games are rare and should be preserved if only for thier curiosity value.

Although it seems like a barefaced attempt at converting the masses, someone might have thought it would be nice to have a game the children of devout christian parents could play, that would teach them about their religion.

And it is worth remembering that the creators of such games mean well. They where not trying to hurt anyone, and neither was the uploder.

God bless
drDooM888 is offline                         Send a private message to drDooM888
Old 19-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Balthasar42

Default Captain Bible needs a spunky, bubbly, sidekick!

No two ways about it, Captain Bible is simply awesome, for entirely unintentional reasons. The enjoyment I get from playing this game is en par with what I experience from watching “Plan 9 From Outer Space”: the cheese factor is incalculable.

I love that the Bible Corps is composed entirely of rugged, beautifully sculpted, bible-waving myrmidons, decked out in body-hugging white spandex (that does NOTHING to hide their juicy pythons) en-suite with a playful little blue chiton and cape… Phew. There’s no avoiding it: Captain B is unrepentantly sexy.

With that said, it gets really, really addictive watching Captain B sprint, guileless and gazelle-like, down endless cold, metal corridors, downloading choice passages into his computer bible. I caught myself reading each passage aloud and anticipating which CYBER-LIES to use them against… Man, if Fred Phelps dressed as fabulously as Captain B, he could sell me anything! Joking.

I half-agree with The_Lemming’s review regarding “valuable truths and lessons.” It is important for kids to “love thy neighbour” and not burn books or give in to peer pressure. However, I am amused whenever the game makes oblique, sideways jabs at other religions…

I haven’t played it that far, admittedly, but the very first brainwashed city councilwoman you rescue is discovered in a dark, candle-lit room bowing to a graven image and intoning “Ohm… Ohm…” She doesn’t break out into full-on “Shaanti-Shaanti-Shaanti” or anything, but once the councilwoman informs Captain B that she is, in fact, worshipping the “reincarnated Jesus Christ” and Captain B chides her for the folly of believing in reincarnation, the obvious implication is “Hinduism and Buddhism is WRONG, kids!” I’m prepared to accept that I may be leaping to conclusions… But not really.

And does anyone out there know precisely who the bespectacled man in the painting (decked out in a lamb-skin, overt puzzle-hint) is supposed to be? Gandhi? Jim Jones? The lead-designer’s father-in-law? Gandhi? Gandhi? It’s Gandhi, isn’t it? Did Gandhi ever self-identify as a false-Christ? Hmm…

There seem to be no overt swipes at the Judeo-Islamic traditions (besides one CYBER-LIE sounding something like “It’s okay to worship God but not Jesus…”) and I’ve yet to encounter a cyber that tries to “deceive” me with the idea that gays DON’T all burn in hell, or that the crusades were WRONG, or that it’s OKAY to eat fish on a Friday… Thus far, the game is relatively innocent on that score. Again, I haven’t played it all the way through.

I think I’m going to keep playing this game, because, with apologies, it is funny as hell. How can it not be funny, plowing your Sword of the Spirit into the tender vitals of evil, evil and deceitful cybers? It’s like watching an episode of “Father Ted” only where all the jokes are dead-pan and self-serious. Captain Bible seems to be a pretty harmless game, as well. It’s certainly way better than if there were some kind of Captain Mormon computer game out there, with the player charging around fighting the “Children of Cain”… Ahem.

Basically, I’m really, really glad this game was uploaded. It’s important that little gems like this are rediscovered, and that people be allowed to play them. It’s important for gamers, today, to know that over a decade ago a group of men and women felt the need to create a game to teach people that, among other things, “resurrection” is possible but that “reincarnation” is somehow bogus. Fifteen years from now, when “Left Behind” becomes abandonware, gamers should be free to play that as well. To play it and, if need be, laugh.

Last edited by Balthasar42; 19-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Balthasar42 is offline                         Send a private message to Balthasar42
Old 25-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthasar42
And does anyone out there know precisely who the bespectacled man in the painting (decked out in a lamb-skin, overt puzzle-hint)
Haha, Liberace!

Nice commentary. And there's a term we have for crappy MoralAlternative stuff like this: "Jesus Junk".

Frankly, I think God gets really embarrassed when people do things like this on His behalf. Or the Inquisition. Stuff like that.

But nice, balaced commentary. Abandonia is all about keeping old games alive. It doesn't matter what they contain, really, there's something for everyone.

Except horrible Buddhists. (jk)

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete