Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #21
Dtothe3

Firstly, cheers for the games I've downloaded so far, I'm really enjoying pottering around with them.

I'm having some trouble getting Jurassic Wars running. I've mounted the drive according to the tutorial instructions and have no problem with other games. I've run the batch file that came in pwar, yet still get the "please insert your cd-rom and device driver" style message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (sorry if I haven't given enough information, I have a somewhat limited understanding of this).
Old 18-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What are your mounts in DOSBox?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Dtothe3

I need to back up a little to clarify what I've done so far, as I thought I'd come round in a complete circle.

Initially the games worked fine (aside from Jurassic Wars), this was whilst the;

"mount c "c:\users\linda\oldgames"
c:"

Was in place in the auto exe in dos settings. I then moved the containing folders around and adjusted the line to it's new location. It no longer worked, after several adjustments and moving it back and forth it became apparent that I may need to rethink.

I re-installed Dos.74 and deleted and re-installed all content through the zip files. Upon set up this seemed to work which is when I posted yesterday to see about getting Jurassic Wars working.

I double-checked the command line

mount c "c:\users\linda\oldgames"
c:

was there (after reading your post), and it wasn't, I'd forgotten to re-add it. After adding it as normal the games stopped working completely, after taking it out the other games worked fine except for Jurassic Wars.

Sorry I seem to be making a mess of this *facepalm*.
Old 19-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Okay, then let's see the entire config file.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
Dtothe3

Thanks very much

I don't think I've managed to explain myself very clearly.

[Edit - Just noticed this is the wrong section, sorry about that as well /doublefacepalm]
Attached Files
File Type: txt dosbox-0.74.2.txt (10.7 KB, 781 views)

Last edited by Dtothe3; 20-10-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Addition.
Dtothe3 is offline                         Send a private message to Dtothe3
Old 29-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
Helio Sousa
Default Game Manual

Hi,

Does anyone has the game manual?
I´m unable to find it on the web

Old 30-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #27
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sorry, but my copy didn't come with one. The in-game help explains the basics decently, though.

-- Reed Richards
Old 28-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
PanSzrama
Lurker

Wink

Hello, wanted to give you a few hints when playing this title.

First - stats for the units are:
OP - Offensive Power (increasing direct damage of unit, its not an end value though, as weapons are increasing the value further)
DP - Deffensive Power (opposite to upper trait - determines toughness of unit, although worth to tell, that warrior has "natural" armor, and though he is tougher even when not equipped with shield, and as OP - shields increase DP further)
VP - Velocity Power (AFAIR, but to be hones its just View Power - it determines how many squares unit can see, and by that, how much range it can get, if it is an archer, there is no difference in attacking speed)
MP - Magic Power (non magic units waste points when set to learn this stat! certain levels of this stat gives you new spells for casters, but OP is still what determines the attack value of standard caster attack)
HP - Health Power (how much unit endures before dying)

few hints how to quickly win levels, when they seem too tough:
1.when level begins - scout everywhere - determine where are the bases of the enemy, and try to discover all the land around them - i mean literally all
2. when you have vision over the map, determine how many animals woods in your vinicity "produce" - one caveman equipped with sword and shield can stay alone and train on even 3 curs in one time, until he gets lightyellow health bar from training - control him, as he may sometimes block himself and die, so you lose all time wasted on him to train
3. if you dont have to, dont use cavemen, they are really worthless
4. if you can, use always warrior - they are the toughest of the primitives you can produce, when compared with maxed stats to a maxed stats muscleman, tbh thats why the masai are so my favorite
5. when your primitive gains after killing an animal a single, or no points, move him to woods, with tougher animals

animal strength:
cur <- leopard <- tiger <- mammoth
single cur is no problem for any unit
leopard is a job for two naked cavemen
tiger can be dangerous, even kill simplest cavemen in numbers
mammoth is pretty dangerous, but equipped units can deal with him quick

how to arm your primitives:
1.against magic use always water shields, if possible, if not, its no difference, as iron and wood dont hold fire magic
2.against dinos (mammoth and all stronger types, also againt those of tyrano and coaca tribes) use always pikes/lances - they deal horrible damage to them
3.against mixed attack try to set a wall of shielded strong cavemen, armed in close combat weapons (sword is strongest for infantry, axe is fair enough)
then set up a tons of archers, or with boomerangs, archers with poisoned arrows are extremely useful as any hit stops enemy for a moment, so when a tough single enemy hero attacks and you attack him with 20 poisoned bows at a time, even when equipped by weakest of your men, the enemy cant move and soon dies dealing no damage to your army
4.when you see that enemy base is crawling with tons of troops, and position to attack isnt in your favor, try to find a tight spot, and lure few enemies onto your trap - when they die, enemies rush to attack in that spot - the cpu nearly always (i mean they do this always by default, but in some missions cpu is programmed differently, to attack in a portion of time, no matter if you provoke or not to do it) wants to avenge fallen ones - so if you see enemy army is too big send him suicide warriors - the ones, with help of which you were lurking enemy out, when they die, enemies will return home
5. when on big, big, big map, it is often good to send groups to woods, with a food storage house builded somewhere near, but not in the wood, because then, animals will attack it, instead of your cavemen, and you will receive false alerts about "structure under attack" on screen
6. in later levels try to scout even through enemy bases - i mean when you load level, localise it and send around 20 naked cavemen to the base just to see what are you have to deal with sooner, then reload and play normally.
reason to do so is to localise the strongest enemies, pick the position, from where you can kill them quickest way, so then you have to deal with only blue/lightyellow trained units, instead of whites.
those whites also carry often some artifacts, which given to your whites can really wreck havoc!

A WHITE trained WARRIOR CAN KILL WITH ONE HIT a naked muscleman!!!
So it is a priority threat to your army.

Use poisonous plants (if you play the game, you'll know what i mean ) to set traps - when placing your army properly - those plants can massacre much larger army for you, when trying to get your troops, and must go by them near).

Use your faction advantages. Adapt - if you are tyrano, but have conquered radumba - use their blacksmith, to forge water shields against moospell, pikes against coaca, or other weapons against masai or koomba.

Now... could anyone give me again list of what i have to type in dosbox to make the game run? I have really no idea what i do wrong - i mount game directory as cdrom and the game cant see it :/... And i really have urge to play my masai again ;(
PanSzrama is offline                         Send a private message to PanSzrama
Old 28-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Just run pwar.bat.

-- Reed Richards
Old 29-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
ChellSpecker

I used to play this game from the release date up to somewhere earlier this year (with some time off's ofcourse)
Eventhough the AI is lacking and pathfinding is terrible, its a great game for its time. Actually, compared to most games of that era, the AI wasnt so terrible at all. The pathfinding was though,lol.
The one thing that I loved about this game is the unit-building. This is what made me play it for years, I have always been a 'laid back' strategist; where a lot of players of strategic games want to get it over with, I can spend hours gatheirng a big army, even if it wasnt needed.
Obviously, this game was perfect for that. nothing more satisfying than seeing a warrior take down a t rex or a triceratops ravage a whole enemy camp. Getting mages to a max means they are invincible too.

Besides that, the campaigns werent a walk in the park either, even if you knew all the tips and tricks.