Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Boy oh boy, live is hard Indie developers. Its not all sales and sunshine, you gotta pay your dues and take risks. Valve aint gonna lay a red carpet for you.

1. If you're serious about the game, its not that hard to scrounge up 100$. Hell, you could probably even go to a bank and get a loan, sell it on somewhere else first like Desura (if you cant even get enough money from selling it somewhere else, then how the hell do you expect it to fair any better on Steam?) or rant about on something like Kotaku that you dont have enough money to get on Greenlight and watch how people will quickly round up to buy your game.
2. Steams is the big leagues. If you want to get in, you gotta come out of that "safe and secure" zone. This is business and if you cant handle it, better stick to making free games as a hobby.
3. If you cant get that 100$, that tells a lot about your confidence and/or the quality of your product. If I had a game which I believe would be the next Indie hit, I would even sell my Nintendo games to get money for submission.
4. You can post as many games as you like with that 100$
5. And before anyone says "It doesn't guarantee to get on the store", I'd like to remind you that these kind of people have no problems paying the 95$ entry fee for getting into Independent Games Festival, which is basically a glorified advertising.

Edmund McMillan himself tweeted that he submitted 3 games a year for 7 years in that festival until he finally hit big with Super Meat Boy. I honestly dont like him, he's a bit of a loudmouth, but I gotta admit that he worked hard and took risks to get into that spot he's in now. Again, video game industry is still business, and if you're looking to make lots of money in it there is no easy way out, no "get rich quick" schemes.

EDIT: Also, what many people fail to mention in those articles, lots of people were posting really low quality stuff, like really amateurish Game Maker games with graphics made out of paint and RPG Maker Games that still use the default graphics that come with the program. Nobody wants to buy those. Steam is not a iOS store.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Oh, "RPG-maker games" was, actually, best part of "free Greenlight".

Worst part was "Look on pictures of my cat, I want to make a game about it" and "Battlefield 3 4ever, I want DLC!". 100$, seems, totally stopped all this crap.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Oh, "RPG-maker games" was, actually, best part of "free Greenlight".

Worst part was "Look on pictures of my cat, I want to make a game about it" and "Battlefield 3 4ever, I want DLC!". 100$, seems, totally stopped all this crap.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...05&searchtext= But we still have games like this to laugh at.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Yes, I seen it. Well, at least, someone seriously tried to do something. Or have too much free money.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 13-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92918806
Old 13-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Good game! I should... wait, I already voter for it week ago.