Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #161
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin+Aug 29 2005, 01:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Aug 29 2005, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Aug 29 2005, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Aug 29 2005, 04:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-efthimios
Quote:
Quote:
@Aug 29 2005, 02:14 AM
Well, there is always Supremacy and the original Reach For The Stars and Emperor of the fading suns and well, a few more that are not abandonware.

Supremacy? Like I said, I like building worlds and diplomacy. There's nothing of either in that. Emperor of the Fading Suns isn't a 4x game, really, but more of an RPG: and I remember it being a very interesting and complex game with even less effective AI than Ascendency.

The original Reach for the Stars: now, there you're onto something. I remember how dreary the remake was, but I've just downloaded the older title, and it has possibilities. Thanks!

There is no real diplomacy in Supremacy but there is building of worlds. Plus the graphics are much better that other games of its type of the time.

EFS is very much a 4X game. I don't know why you (anyone) would not see it as such.

Because one major part of the fun I find in such games is the making and breaking (or maintaining, if I can win that way) of alliances. It's a reason I enjoy Europa Universalis II so much. If anyone I find is going to automatically be my enemy, then it's a game of exploration, building and conquering, and even in turn-based mode, reminds me all-too-well of those annoying RTS clones I can't stand. [/b][/quote]
Fair enough, it is just that I always considered EFS a game with heavy elements of diplomacy. I have no idea why someone would consider EFS not having diplomacy, but hey, it's a free world! :bleh:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 29-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #162
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios+Aug 29 2005, 01:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (efthimios @ Aug 29 2005, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Aug 29 2005, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-efthimios
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, there is always Supremacy and the original Reach For The Stars and Emperor of the fading suns and well, a few more that are not abandonware.

Supremacy? Like I said, I like building worlds and diplomacy. There's nothing of either in that. Emperor of the Fading Suns isn't a 4x game, really, but more of an RPG: and I remember it being a very interesting and complex game with even less effective AI than Ascendency.

The original Reach for the Stars: now, there you're onto something. I remember how dreary the remake was, but I've just downloaded the older title, and it has possibilities. Thanks!

There is no real diplomacy in Supremacy but there is building of worlds. Plus the graphics are much better that other games of its type of the time.

EFS is very much a 4X game. I don't know why you (anyone) would not see it as such.

Because one major part of the fun I find in such games is the making and breaking (or maintaining, if I can win that way) of alliances. It's a reason I enjoy Europa Universalis II so much. If anyone I find is going to automatically be my enemy, then it's a game of exploration, building and conquering, and even in turn-based mode, reminds me all-too-well of those annoying RTS clones I can't stand.
Fair enough, it is just that I always considered EFS a game with heavy elements of diplomacy. I have no idea why someone would consider EFS not having diplomacy, but hey, it's a free world! :bleh: [/b][/quote]
Reread what I wrote. EFS I think of as more of an RPG than a 4x space strategy game. That, plus the poor AI were my only problems when I'm looking specifically for 4x space strategy games.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 29-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #163
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin+Aug 29 2005, 10:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Aug 29 2005, 10:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Aug 29 2005, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Aug 29 2005, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-efthimios
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because one major part of the fun I find in such games is the making and breaking (or maintaining, if I can win that way) of alliances. It's a reason I enjoy Europa Universalis II so much. If anyone I find is going to automatically be my enemy, then it's a game of exploration, building and conquering, and even in turn-based mode, reminds me all-too-well of those annoying RTS clones I can't stand.

Fair enough, it is just that I always considered EFS a game with heavy elements of diplomacy. I have no idea why someone would consider EFS not having diplomacy, but hey, it's a free world! :bleh:
Reread what I wrote. EFS I think of as more of an RPG than a 4x space strategy game. That, plus the poor AI were my only problems when I'm looking specifically for 4x space strategy games. [/b][/quote]
I am not sure how re reading it changes anything? :blink:
EFS has strategy, is in space, has diplomacy, never mind, this is going nowhere.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 31-08-2005, 03:56 AM   #164
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Just noticed one thing, in the downloads section of the game you do not have the patch for the game. Not the english language or the french language patch. I don't know exactly what they fix (lingering bugs says the readme) and you can't run them at the same time as the antag patch but it might help?
Old 31-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #165
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Aug 31 2005, 03:56 AM
Just noticed one thing, in the downloads section of the game you do not have the patch for the game. Not the english language or the french language patch. I don't know exactly what they fix (lingering bugs says the readme) and you can't run them at the same time as the antag patch but it might help?
That's what I was wondering. I've run the bug-fixing patch without running the aggression-increasing one, and it seemed to me to make the AI somewhat better at building and conquering.
Old 31-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #166
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin+Aug 31 2005, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Aug 31 2005, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-efthimios@Aug 31 2005, 03:56 AM
Just noticed one thing, in the downloads section of the game you do not have the patch for the game.* Not the english language or the french language patch.* I don't know exactly what they fix (lingering bugs says the readme) and you can't run them at the same time as the antag patch but it might help?
That's what I was wondering. I've run the bug-fixing patch without running the aggression-increasing one, and it seemed to me to make the AI somewhat better at building and conquering. [/b][/quote]
I hereby proclaim I will start a new game and see how it goes. I haven't played it for a long time but will see. I will play under normal conditions (with the patch, not the Antag) and hopefuly not getting kicked very quickly.
Hmm, shall I start a AAR for it in the 3blah section?
Old 31-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #167
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Update. Something has happened and I am not in the mood to do this, or play anything else for that matter. When I have something new I will post it, hopefuly not too long.
Old 31-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #168
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Good luck, Efthimos. A shame that reallife requires so much constant attention, isn't it?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #169
DSmidgy
Abandonia nerd

You are always talking of a patch. There are two patches of Ascendancy: 1.8.5 and Antagonizer.

Both can be downloaded here.

EDIT: Looking closely at the post efthimios I guess that is already known.
DSmidgy is offline                         Send a private message to DSmidgy
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #170
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yes, it is. We already discussed the pair of patches and what they do in the first few pages of this lengthy thread.