Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-07-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Unlimited Adventures is both a role playing game and a role playing game construction set all in one. Amazingly this game was allowing players to create MODules all the way back in 1993. I did not explore that part of the program for this review, so I will not speak of it.

Unlimited Adventure does feature a pre-created adventure for you to experience: Heirs to Skull Crag. You start off by creating one or more characters to be in your party. After having played with a two-member party and fighting over a dozen high-level creatures (Hill Giants, Ogre Mages and Minotaur) as my first battle (ouch!) I would suggest you add a few more folks to your party!

You start your adventure in a town, shown visually in a (very) small window, in the 3D style of Bard's Tale. [Without a manual I had no idea what my objective was, so I just started exploring.] You can visit the local stores, taverns, etc. to buy items and supplies. You can be attacked in some parts of town so be careful. Finding your way around is not easy. Locating the city gates or specific places is not easy either.

The graphics are fairly nice for their age and will be familiar to anyone with any SSI gaming experience at all. Shop Keepers, Inn Keepers, Tavern Clerks, etc. all have well done portraits. You character, on the other hand, has a small blocky icon that is almost bereft of detail.

There are numerous details, but most are self-explanatory simply by their button name (Take, Drop, Use, Trade, etc.). I would expect some choices to depend upon your character class. I did not try every available race/class combination. The game is based on the Advanced Dungeon & Dragons rule set.

After having played some modern RPGs recently, it is very hard to play a game so technologically out-dated as Unlimited Adventures. I simply tired of the drawn out fights, with impossible odds, with no creature scaling to your parties level, poor presentation of player statistics and inventory, etc.

I recommend giving the game a quick try for yourself as it is free and you have nothing to lose. This is gaming history and has the obvious pre-cursors to future classic RPGs like Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore. The least you can do is create a small party of heroes and let them all be killed at the hand of Ogres once for old time’s sake!

It won't be unlimited, but it will be an adventure!

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta