Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
lethe
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Jul 20 2005, 10:14 AM
here it is* :whistle:
I pity them. Actually I pity every software programmer. Don't they ever heard of cracks? :angel:
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 20-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Jul 19 2005, 02:36 PM
it appears winzip was purchased by a company called Vector Capital, and they intend to change "the rules for using it". in other words, they want users to start paying for it. in that case, self extracting files could be one solution.
As said: there are more programs then WinZIP that can open a ZIP archive. 7-zip, Freezip, XP has it's own. Linux users can also handle these, the self-executables would post a problem for them.

In Conclusion: I am against self-extacting archives!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 20-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The self-extracting archives can be renamed to their native ZIP/RAR/7Z extension and from there opened with an extraction program by the user.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
swiss
who's not Swiss

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Jul 20 2005, 12:34 PM
As said: there are more programs then WinZIP that can open a ZIP archive. 7-zip, Freezip, XP has it's own. Linux users can also handle these, the self-executables would post a problem for them.

In Conclusion: I am against self-extacting archives!
No one ever mentions the Mac Users ...

I know that ZIP normally works with a MAC aswell but the EXE renamed to ZIP wouldn't be too clear for every user to know ...

So keep them as ZIP and all's well ... Those files are most compatible.
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 28-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #15
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

I'm a noobie I guess, cause zips drive me insane! I hate them!

self-extracting zips sounds like an awesome idea (would save me 7 hours of work a week)

But I know how much work Data would have to put in to do that......maybe we should start a repacking team.
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 28-07-2005, 06:26 AM   #16
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

To be quite honest, I don't really see what's so complicated about zip files. If you're running XP, you even have a built-in zip program - which isn't too good, but you can always get something like WinRar. If self-extracting archives would only cause additional work and might cause problems for those people who don't use Windows, why have them? If it's working, don't fix it, right?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 28-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #17
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I agree. Even the most retarded PC user should be able to figure out how to unzip an archive, and if he doesn't... well, he shouldn't be sitting in front of a computer to begin with.
Old 28-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

I know how to unzip an archive, geez. Its just that all the games that come with this site have several zips within the zips which is really annoying. The files inside are confusing.

The files look like this:

SR2_Install
SR2_Start
SR2_Play Game
SR2_copywrite1989

You see? arg!

So you have to sort of experiment by sticking random files inside of dosbox. Before I do that, I have to go gallavanting inside my c:/ drive for half an hour looking for dosbox, because if I put a shorcut on my desktop it doesnt work.

Then when I stick the files inside dosbox, I get some kind of phony installation routine which claims that "installation is done" and so forth.

I then go to the "play game" screen. The option screen comes up. I fiddle with the sound for an hour or two, trying to see what will be compatible with this game. When I finally get the options right, I click playgame and the game says "blablablaerrorerrorcouldnt work blablabla call microsoft if you need any help"
or the game just freezes.

AND I AM SICK OF MOVING AROUND STUPID ZIP FILES AND SO FORTH!
When I open my zip program, I am bombarded by about 6 advertisements and update alerts, which I kindly but firmly decline. It takes forever to do anything on my computer! :ranting:

Now stop calling me a retarded because I can't play any of the friggin games on this website! My computer is too complicated to support them. This isnt just for dos games, its also for pretty much every other program I download.

So thats why I want simple, easy, no fuss self extracting archives!
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 28-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nobody called you retarded, Indi. You tend to take offence far too easily, if I may say so...
So far I've never encountered an archive which contained several other archives, but maybe I've just been downloading the wrong games. Anyway, why would you need to move zip files around? Simply unzipping them to the right folder should do the trick, right?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 28-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #20
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Uhm... excuse me? What do you mean with "every game is in several zips"?! :blink:

That should not be the case on any of our games. If you have found some archives like that, please let me know.