Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #41
HermitFromPluto

I have just started playing this but I must be missing something. It seems there is no way to save a session. Do you need to play it in one sitting???!!!
HermitFromPluto is offline                         Send a private message to HermitFromPluto
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #42
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

From a quick read of the manual, availible on this site, the only way to save is at the Adventurers guild, and that saves your party not the game session. Though that might be it's idea of a save.Someone who has actually played the game may be able to answer you better.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #43
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

In another manual I've found that Leave Game option in the Adventurer's Guild automatically saves the game. You might want to try that.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #44
HermitFromPluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
In another manual I've found that Leave Game option in the Adventurer's Guild automatically saves the game. You might want to try that.
Thanks. Yes. That is what I was doing wrong. I wasn't leaving the game properly. If I use the Leave Game option it saves everything.

If I close down without using the leave game command, the party starts the next session with no experience or belongings.
HermitFromPluto is offline                         Send a private message to HermitFromPluto
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #45
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

There might be a way to save without going to the guild. In the IIgs version, you can ALT + S or something to save anywhere. Funny I was just thinking about playing again a few minutes ago and read this.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #46

Old games often had silly design decisions like that. Call it a learning process for the industry, though I'll admit to a bit of a masochistic streak that makes the whole hard-to-save business seem palatable.

Dang, but this brings back memories. I can't believe how much of my early childhood was spent on a game I could barely comprehend, but there you have it. Probably didn't hurt that my older brother had some kinda character editor to compensate for my dumb self not being able to understand the copy-protection questions that popped up for character advancement (though how I could work through MS-DOS while being barely literate is anybody's guess).

Mostly just liked to look at the pretty animations, which were gorgeous considering my only other gaming entertainment was AGI-era Sierra games. Can't believe I still have the cluebook in relatively good condition; I was almost gonna disassemble it for scanning before I noticed it was up on replacementdocs.com.

Old 23-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #47
Ridian
Lurker

Talking All I can say is MIBL (spoiler)!

I remember creating a party with 3 monks and 3 mages. It was very difficult to keep them alive at low levels but once your mages got mind blade, it was over. In the castle, on the 3rd level, is a room with 4 sets of 99 Berserkers. You MIBL them till all gone, teleport down 2 levels, back up 2, wash, rinse, repeat.

This is the game that got me forever hooked on RPGs.
Ridian is offline                         Send a private message to Ridian
Old 24-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #48
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

That post becomes 100% funnier once you start pronouncing it "mibble"

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #49
Default Lemon to a Lime or Lime to a Lemon

Ok, I am fascinated by this game. However, I've played this about 50 times, but never could get much past the wine cellar or sewers before getting tired and tossing it aside.

There some things that bug me, like the lime-green walls in the IBM version, samurais hanging out in some remote Britannian township and fighting 99 skeletons in some small room. I doubt there's 99 people in the whole town. Maybe thats where the skeletons came from, I dont know. Then I realized one really didn't have to go through most of the game, just get as far as Sewer 3 and kill kobolds all day, build up enough money and experience and then just go kick Mangar in the nuts, and to hell with all the blackout zones, time traps and endless mazes.

Back in the 80s I thought that they were kidding with the lime green walls though, as I saw the commodore and other versions with grey walls. Hell even the back cover of the IBM game had pics of grey walls. I gritted my teeth and tried to ignore it, maybe they'll go away past the sewers. Nope, sorry. I wonder if BT 2 or 3 are any better

Your stalwart party faces:
99 skeletons
99 skeletons
and 99 Skeletons
(F)ight or (D)elete Game?

Old 25-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #50
Unregistered.
Default Help!

I need to type in 'Serpent' for the copy protection, but everytime I press 'S' it makes an 'US' and there's no way to delete the 'U' without also deleting the 'S', any help will be appreciated!