Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #41
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Do you know how to set up DOSBox?

After installing dosbox, downloading and extracting the game, follow these simple steps:

1. Move the game folder to drive C: (in this case there should now be a folder C:\waxworks)
2. Run DOSBox
3. TYPE: mount c: c: (press enter)
4. TYPE: cd c: (press enter)
5. TYPE: wax (press enter)

Play the game and enjoy!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #42
lycon

yeah thx - i know!

i already played games with dosbox - waxworks in the only game who dosn't work!

Old 01-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #43
lyconius

i type in "setup" and setup the game - after finish i can read "waxworks setup is now complete please type "wax" to play the game"

and when i type "wax" than is the error massage - "load failed"

please help meeeeeee

Old 01-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #44
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Technical note:
The game has been cracked, but it is possible that you may need to crack it again (the crack file is included). It seems the crack doesn't work well if you run setup.exe first, so don't run that file!
It's answered in the review - and in some of the previous posts.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #45
lycon

THANKS A LOT!
(sorry for not reading)

it works!!!!!

kisses!

Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #46
chickenman
Hero Gamer

I could not get it to work until I changed Wax.bat to

Echo off
Waxpatch
runvga gamepc /0 /0
Echo on
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #47
Driadon

Send a message via ICQ to Driadon Send a message via MSN to Driadon Send a message via Yahoo to Driadon

wow, this game plays almost exactly like Elvira: Accolade for the Atari ST 1040 just with (alot) less humor... good stuff
Driadon is offline                         Send a private message to Driadon
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #48
moogle
Abandonia Homie

I see what you guys ment when you said we had other M rated games on Abandonia....eeeh!
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #49
Chrille

I first played Waxworks when it was new, I was not very old at the time. The raw, brutal deathscenes disgusted me so much that I couldn't go on playing it. I ended up hating the game because it was so difficult and I kept dying.

After that I kept thinking about the game every now and then because it had left such a strong impression on me. Many years later I read the review on Underdogs and got interested again, partly because it was said to be inspired by Lovecraft. I bought a copy of the HorrorSoft HorrorPack (got it from AdventureSoft's website, dunno if it's still around, Elvira 1, 2 and Waxworks are included) and played the game again. This time around I thought it was great, it was still very difficult and I had to use a walkthrough several times, but the fantastic graphics and the brilliant horrifying atmosphere really affected me, this time in a good way.

Worst part of the game are the incredibly annoying flaws when it comes to puzzle design. It's very easy to get stuck because, for example, you accidently press a button or hit something you shouldn't have. However it's still one of my favourite games and I can think of no other game that's as intense as this in terms of sheer brutal horror.

Try the new game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Although not as frightening, it's quite similiar to this in a some ways. I'm guessing because Mike & Simon Woodroffe (of HorrorSoft/AdventureSoft) helped make it.

/Chrille

Old 02-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #50
red_avatar
Administrator

I offered the moderators of this site Elvira 1&2 cracked with manuals a few months ago, but never heard back from them - yes it was supposedly still sold, but as has been said, the shop has been dead for quite some time. Also since the games no longer work under WinXP and haven't been upgraded accordingly, I find it cheeky to ask money for a game that's unplayable on anything but 10 year old computers.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar