Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
XivioN

So, a quick question. i've Downloaded the DOSprogram thingie you've got on this site, and tried some of the good ol' games. Some days i found this verry old game i used to play, "havets Vargar". It's not from this site, i'm sorry if i'm not allowed to talk about it here.

Anyway, as the game doesn't work in windows XP, i was courious if there's any way to make it work in the DOSprogram? I haven't tried it yet, it just enterd my mind, and since im at school i can't try it. But if there's any way of it working, how do i do? should i just install it all in the DOS folder or is there any settings/configuration that has to be done?
XivioN is offline                         Send a private message to XivioN
Old 24-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If it's a DOS game, chances are it will work in DosBox.

You might want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.

I suggest you alre read the pages about command line, internal programs (very important!) and the config file.

If that stuff is a bit too much for you, you might consider using one of the multiple frontend programs available.

It's all easier then it seems. So remember:
DON'T PANIC!!!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
XivioN

Ah well, i tried D-fend or what's it called, and didn't really figure it out. i've got the CD, and i tried to mount and stuff. the game got both a windows and a dos-installer. Both of them creates a gamefolder, with the exact same files in it. And there's both a windows icon and a dos-icon. when i use the windows one, it just says the game requires windows, but when i click the dos-icon, it says i need the CD, wich i tried to mount but failed with, even though i'm able to install the game through D-fend. :wallbash:

Think i'll just give up, i'm even worse than a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff :] Thanks for your help though, it was worth a shot. Too bad it didn't work out, this is the game i've enjoyed most in my life, played it on my first computer, and ever since windows XP got out, i've been trying to make it work.
Old 24-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

This deals with mounting of CD-ROM drives in DosBox.

Also, you seem to assume that DosBox functions like a driver and automatically starts when trying to run DOS software. It does not - you first have to start the emulator and then run the game from inside it.

If the game has both Windows and Dos versions, try running the Windows one with Compatibility Mode for Windows 95. To set this, right-click on the exec, select [PROPERTIES] then go to [COMPATIBILITY] tab.

An alternative is to use VDMSound (downloadable from our programs page). It's a bit simpler then DosBox and takes less system resources but may not work for some games.

In other words: keep trying, and if you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
XivioN

So, i made this fancy reply with screenshots and all that, and i manage to click the 'X' instead of "_", so i can't really be arsed again :P

Quote:
This deals with mounting of CD-ROM drives in DosBox.[/b]
I tried all the commands here and it says: "MSCDEX: Failure: Drive-letters of multiple CDRom-drives have to be continuous. Drive D already mounted with CDRom."

So i figured it might've been mounted properly as it said it's already mounted.
Since one of the three exe files are the windows one, i didn't try it. The result of trying the first DOS file (called dos4gw), gives me the message: "dos/4gw fatal error (1004): syntax is DOS4GW
The size of dos4gw is 265,420.

Now i tried the last .exe file, which's quite big compared to the other ones (1, 692, 438). At first i get the copyright textes and stuff, and then it tells me to put in the CDrom in the CD-drive.

Quote:
If the game has both Windows and Dos versions, try running the Windows one with Compatibility Mode for Windows 95. To set this, right-click on the exec, select [PROPERTIES] then go to [COMPATIBILITY] tab.[/b]
Doesn't work :/

Quote:
An alternative is to use VDMSound (downloadable from our programs page). It's a bit simpler then DosBox and takes less system resources but may not work for some games.[/b]
I tried this program aswell, and i get the same errors as i get with DOSBox
Old 25-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Remove any current CD-ROM mounts in DosBox.conf.
Make an ISO of the game CD and mount it in DosBox as your D:\ drive (using IMGMOUNT).
This tends to help in similar cases, may work in yours too.

-- Reed Richards
Old 29-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
XivioN

How do i make an image file of the game?
Old 29-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Nero, Alcohol 120%, CloneCD... and any of dozens of similar programs, really.
For a more detailed list, look here.

-- Reed Richards
Old 30-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #9

Image done, the image works properly and all that, but i hardly understand anything from the imgmount guide you posted. Think i'm done, it's getting way too hard for me and i'd probably need alot of help with the mounting.

thanks for taking your time :]

Old 30-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

In order to mount a CD image you type in:
IMGMOUNT [emulated drive letter] [location of the image on your real system] -t iso

And that's all there is to it.

As in:

IMGMOUNT D F:\games\C&C_NOD.ISO -t iso

-- Reed Richards