Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No, it is possible to do it that way, but it require way too much work.

I had simillar setting with firewall. (Firewall server had 2 network cards) But as that require firewall computer all the time to run, I moved my router back. Actually at the moment I'm using 2 routers. One for main cable-network connection, and second with disabled DHCP and connected just as switch for my wireless connection.

Long time ago I had Win2K and Win98 sharing the same connection same as on your diagram.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 14-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

There is another way to run it without getting a router, But you will need a crossover cable.

Requirements over what you have currently: 1 Crossover cable.

Crossover cables: These will run to the other computers directly (card to card) without the need of the hub.

With the USB device installed, and the crossover cables plugged straight into the other computers, here is how you set it up:

Under the start menu, there is a button called control panel. Click it.
Now, find "Network Connections" Or "Network and Internet connections"
Open the Network connections. It should show the various networking cards in your computer.

Easiest way to do this would be the XP home or small office network set up. You want your DSL computer to "Connect Directly to the internet" and the other to "Connect through another computer" Other than that, here's the manual way.

The DSL card should be by itself. You want this to be shared.
The other one you can manually set up.

Now, the fun begins.
The DSL card should be allowed to get its IP automatically, with DHCP.

The status button lets you see the IP and gateway, if you hit the support tab. These are important, but the "DNS Server" IP is also very important, which you can see if you hit the "Details" button.

When you right click on the devices, at the bottom of the right click menu is "Properties". You want to click on this now, First on the DSL card, then on the other card.

There should be a list of stuff, and one of them will say "Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)". You want to click the properties button for the DSL card, and make sure it looks like this screen.

The other card (now you can edit both with one stone, makes it easy) shall be set manually.

The IP you want on your other card is 192.168.0.1
Its Subnet is 255.255.255.0
Its gateway can be ignored for now.

Now, remember how I said you could check the DNS server? Well, In the DNS server box, you want that number to be the same on all of your computers, as well as the Bridged Connection's DNS server. This will let your other computers connect to the internet.

Now, go to your next computer. You want it's ip to be 192.168.0.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway to be 192.168.0.1
Don't forget the DNS server!

That should be it.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 14-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

BR's solution should work with the hub as well, BTW. It should work the way you've got it hooked up in your diagram, in fact, unless your hub is more than just a hub...
Old 17-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

That's what the crossover cable is for, to make sure that his hub isn't that odd hub with something wrong inside of it

Of course, I am the guy with the crimper and RJ-45 connectors making his own Crossover cables, because I like the higher speed connections and full duplex :evil:
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 17-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Full duplex require more then just custom made cable. Actually it does not require custom made cable at all, but you need switch that supports it, and then OS that will support balancing.

What are you using full duplex for?

(Just couple of weeks ago connected 5 switches with couple of servers that support full duplexing and with connection between two switches (200 feet separated) with double full duplex.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 17-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #16
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Care to enlighten a knave what exactly is "full duplex"?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
Data
retired

send and recieve at the same time.

(or in soundcards play and record at the same time)
Old 18-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #18
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

well hook the dsl to the hub.... or go into my network places and do setup a small or office network and say, this computer connects direectly to the internet and to pc2 say this computer connects through another computer that has internet or some.
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 18-03-2006, 02:06 AM   #19
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Mar 17 2006, 11:12 AM
Full duplex require more then just custom made cable. Actually it does not require custom made cable at all, but you need switch that supports it, and then OS that will support balancing.

What are you using full duplex for?

(Just couple of weeks ago connected 5 switches with couple of servers that support full duplexing and with connection between two switches (200 feet separated) with double full duplex.
Of course, your NIC (network interface cards) Need to be able to support full-duplex in order for both cards to function at it. I like my gigabyte ethernet, running my large rts games (like full AoE2 w/ conquerors on 200 pop) at the speed the two computers would handle it is great. But all this is on BP's thread
Old 20-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #20
Bp103
Game freak

Ummm....My network works now I now have a router :P
Bp103 is offline                         Send a private message to Bp103