Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hopefully one of you guys will be able to answer this query. My motherboard has 2 fan controllers on it, which are currently controlling the CPU fan and the rear case fan (obviously the GPU and PSU have their own fans), but my system is still hotter than I'd like it to be, especially the GPU. The case has an intake fan on the front which I'd like to be able to use, but I'm short a fan controller - is there any way to use one controller to control two fans so that I don't end up getting a new motherboard (which would be a rather enormous effort)?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 12-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
chickenman
Hero Gamer

dump the fans and get a nice cooling system
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

isnt the rear fan controler cable "opened"? :blink:
i mean it has two free endings, where you can connect something else like neon, or another fan.

excuse my english

edit: i made a photo

Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

I think he means the type you connect directly to the moatherboard, that you can monitor/regulate the RPM.
And Russ actually gave you the sollution.. get one of those.

Another option is to remove the plates at the card-slots on the back, to get better air-flow.

On my old system, i had a 12 cm fan located on the back ofthe case, just pumping air INTO the case, and then used another fan on the front, to pump it out.
Worked pretty well.. the cpu had a work-temp of 34-37*C, even though it was overclocked by 30%
Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well, or you keep your case opened like i do. then you can just disconnect the rear fan=)

hah this reminds me my fried, who cooled his opened case with normal fanner(made for fanning people), becouse room temperature was too high
Old 12-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Caged
Game Wizzard

i have 3 case fans total, 1 in, 2 out, with an open case back. So long as I keep the dust balls at bay with canned air, it runs very cool at 30-32 C
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 12-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm, maybe I was being a bit daft there - the rear fan has 2 connectors, an open one to the PSU and a small one (a single wire with a connector about a centimetre wide), the same as the one from the front fan, which fits the controller on the mobo which matches the one for the CPU fan. I had both of them connected, but swapping the small one for the one from the front fan seems to have done the trick.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone