Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
guilleorochi
Forum hobbit

Ultima 7 The Black Gate: old, deep, clever game. You even can cook bread lol.

Greetings
guilleorochi is offline                         Send a private message to guilleorochi
Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilleorochi View Post
Ultima 7 The Black Gate: old, deep, clever game. You even can cook bread lol.
And with Exult added to it, you don't even have to worry about possible memory issues. Plus, it has better graphical resolution, and a few extra features.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
mobbyrules

Thanks guys! I will definitely check these out.

Played Dragon Age and Deus Ex. Loved both of them. Must have gone through them both around...four...times. :P
mobbyrules is offline                         Send a private message to mobbyrules
Old 15-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Strategy:

M.A.X. is a great game but also a bit buggy. Found out about a project called "M.A.X. reloaded". You can play SP missions but as I took a look at it some months ago it lacked the MP features completely :/ (dunno what it's status atm)

But all in all a great project which is worth to give it a shot.

BotF: my favourite game since '99. it has a nice and active modding community which you can find it under armadafleetcommand. I guess in one or two months we'll also have a tournament again.

Great mods and ship-models are there waiting to be checked out. Also lots of bugfixes have been found and implemented.

Not to forget the great multi installers which allow to have all kinds of multi mods installed parallel with all patches and stuff already included.

luv' this gamy

edit: forgotten to mention that both games are turn-based

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 16-09-2010 at 02:59 AM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 15-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
christhecoolboy
Abandonia Computer Geek

I know it might not be your thing, but Phantasmagoria is quite good... the ending chase requires strategy but the game is more point and click... not sure!
christhecoolboy is offline                         Send a private message to christhecoolboy
Old 22-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Oskatat
Game freak

i had a look at MAX-R lately. Its totaly based on multiplayer. No practicing on AI or anything, the maps are only for practice, you'll be alone.
Loaded MAX2 then and its completely different. Anything you learn there wont really be that useful. Havnt been able to find MAX1.

BotF is one of my favorites as well, though the AI tends to suck for some of the major races. You'll hardly ever find cardassians dominating unless you play em
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 23-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
KrazeeXXL
BORG

@M.A.X.reloaded:
to quote wilw: "my fault"

Sorry, I've messed things up a bit. yea it's indeed completely focussed on MP and lacks the AI in SP mode. M.A.X. had often out of sync errors and this might've been the first reason to create this game from scratch anyway. Creating a working A.I. is another more difficult story. And in this case it's not necessary since the community around M.A.X. seems to consist mainly of mp-players.

@M.A.X.2: played it once over MP. it was a complete and ugly mess. A total disaster even in SP. They had planned nice features in it but as it looks was this game published way to soon. It's definitely no fun to play this game at all or shall I even call it a major bug(!?) instead of a game.
Seriously it is one of the must unstable games I've ever played in my entire life.

@BotF: yea the crappy AI It's a big goal to improve it and there's quite some success. I totally have to agree about the cards. But in mp they're a nightmare

In the latest mods they do a bit better. AFAIK were the building queues improved so they finally build the best they have in stock.
Also, lots was achieved with a good balancing between the majors.

F.e. has the the Balance of Power mod (BOP) also a defused/cleared micromanagement so you don't have to update every kind of building 10 times anymore. This improves the ability to act for the AI. In general it has exceptional advantages like f.e. the money or that it can use dilithium on every planet even when the planet actually lacks it.

I recently played some MP sessions over the free warzone server (www.ewarzone.com) #other games lobby and had to deal with the cards and roms coevally (both AI). Can tell you that this season still is a challenging one for me.

So for a very long time I didn't start an all out war as I was used to.

edited: typo

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 01-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 24-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
Oskatat
Game freak

actually BotF already had the "use dilithium on any planet, even if it is produced somewhere else" thing, it seems to be an error in the manual

and yes, cardassians can be VERY strong, with the right hand to guide them, but so can any of the others be

I tried more max2 and it was quite entertaining at times, but in the end, its mainly annoying. a good defence will stop nearly anything. It actually did offer a challenge: to support an army, you need energy. To make energy you need resources, but you already need energy to make the resources, and you need resources to build your army. Also, the game tends to crash as soon as i start upgrading units

edit:
well, turns out i just upgraded too much in 1 go. appearantly, you should upgrade scanners before range, since your missile units crash over too many new targets at once

my main problem: eiter you use your energy to get a decent defence, or you get a decent offence. Your offensive units will be stronger, but far fewer since units take more energy than stationary defences. it is almost an impossibility to both defend your current holdings adequately AND launch an attack. The reputation is that the game gets buggy after turn 160 or so, but i think that if you havnt died or won by that time, its going to drag on to the thousands

Last edited by Oskatat; 25-09-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
KrazeeXXL
BORG

to the dilithium: I should've written that the AI actually HAS dil on every planet even if this planet lacks it.

M.A.X.2: turn 160? lol perhaps turn 16 to turn 30 if I was lucky...
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
Oskatat
Game freak

@dilithium

what i meant is that you, as player, can use dilithium on any planet
You have a count of how much dilitium you produce and how many ships you are working on. regardless of location. Try it. I used the edo (they usually have a very highly populated system) and the benzites (100% production bonuse ftw) successfully even if they didnt have dilithium

but yes, if i understood you right, the ai has an unlimited amount of dilithium, basically one for every system controlled. They can make ships anywhere, all the time