Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #31

Hi all. I'm Trepach and I was dawnload the game, but I can't lounch it. Or maybe the intro is too long and I can't skip it...I see only moving stars please help me

Old 16-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #32
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Use DosBox or VDMSound to run the game. Whichever works better on your system.
You can get VDMSound from our programs page, and most recent version of DosBox can be downloaded here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #33

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 15 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]279279[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
My colors look weird when I star tthe game in XP.
[/b]
i have the same problem. i tried to run it with dosbox and had no graphic probs there, but my cpu is not strong enough and its nearly not playable.

Old 17-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #34
Nightkin
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Feb 16 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]279522[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
I have the same problems. Have tried running it in dosbox & windows but still get the cd error[/b]
Edit "Maxrun.bat" to include the correct path to MAX directory on the DosBox mount. Then start the game via Maxrun.bat.
[/b]
How do you edit that file?

I bought the original version today, and it seems impossible to run the game under XP. Even with compatibility mode
It works with DOSBox, but the with a horrible frame rate.

€dit: Ok, VDM sound works. But the performance is still horrible. The sound is stuttering like hell

Any hints?
Has anyone tried to install patch 1.04? Seems not to work with me.
Nightkin is offline                         Send a private message to Nightkin
Old 17-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #35

Cool game, I still have te original (german) box flying around here somewhere. Does someone know how to beat the "One shot"-scenario?

Old 18-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #36
Evilnut

I downloaded the game, and while I can run the game (with default MAX.INI) but has some problems:

Windows XP (mouse scroll too fast, but can be adjusted in preference, no sound)
Dosbox (slow, no sound)

I tried running setup.exe, but it crashes after language select. Editing the INI myself results in the game unable to launch.

Then I go checked Home of the Underdogs, and they have M.A.X. uploaded too. Their download size is 48MB, while the one here is about 46MB.

The one from HotU contains more files, and the setup.exe can be run successfully, allowing me to config and test my soundcard (in Dosbox only).

So now I'm running M.A.X. with sound in Dosbox. For those having problems, I think it's worth a try.

Old 18-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #37
Tim

xp users

go to web site "home of the underdogs" and find the MAX game.
There's an option to pick which files you want to download instead of the whole game.
Download the following
Setup.exe
HMIDET.386
HMIDRV.386
HMIMDRV.386

Place files in the MAX diretory.
Edit max.ini file to read....
Devicename=Sound Blaster Pro
IRQ=7
DMa=1
Port=0x220
DeviceId=0xe001

Dont use dosbox, just start using VDMsound
I'm now getting sound and good speed.
Hope it works

Old 19-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #38
Guest_tenth1_*

I've tried running this game with sound with a game file downloaded a couple months ago. I have to say that the first couple moves were okay and you get the cool effects, but soon the game becomes molasses at -20 degrees fahrenheit.

Old 19-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #39
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Heads up, people!
It indeed appears that someone has uploaded a corrupted version of the game to the site. If the party responsible is ever determined, I'll have a couple words with them on the subject.

For the moment, I have uploaded a replacement archive to our FTP server and it should be up for download shortly.

In the name of Abandonia's staff, I apologise for any and all inconvenience caused.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nightkin @ Feb 17 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]279713[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How do you edit that file? [/b]
With Notepad.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #40
tradiaz

If you have problems running it window you can try dosemu under linux (maybe with knoppix, so you don'T need to install). It's works like a charm there (despite the sound, but i guess that's because of the broke narchive). A lot of perfromance intensive games work very good with dosemu, but stutter in dosbox. So you might consider installing a GNU/linux distribution....
tradiaz is offline                         Send a private message to tradiaz