Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
imported___x

I have a mainboard K7N2_Delta_L & sound card Sound Blaster Ensoniq(it have dos drivers)
but when I run drivers on system disk (pure dos) it says "sound blaster enviroment not found"
somebody know what to do with that?

I forgot to tell you that I'm doing what Japofran wrote but with no effect maybe I should change some config in bios, on my previous mainboard(Via apollo P5MVP3) those dos drivers for that card were working. Even when I install win98 dos games acts like sound card doesnt exist & sound in win games works fine in winXP dos games detects sound card but sound is terrible, dosbox is too slow for "Redneck Rampage", playing that game without sound is a very big mistake
imported___x is offline                         Send a private message to imported___x
Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

Are you talking about DOS drivers for your card, or about SB16 emulation drivers? Anyway, "enviroment" sounds like you need to create the good old DOS enviroment variable. If my memory serves me right it went like this, a line in AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

This is for card port (memory address) at 0x220, IRQ 7, (low) DMA 1, high DMA 5, Adlib port 330. If you have different parameters change the numbers. I never knew what the 'T' was about, I don't think it's necessary, in fact you can remove any of the "words" if you won't be using it, but you'll need at least 'A', 'I' and 'D'.

(If the drivers are not for the card itself but for emulating an SB16 with it, you'll need also to execute SBINIT.COM, you can also do it adding another line to AUTOEXEC.BAT.)
Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Add that line and it should work. Just curious what version of window are you running.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 21-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
imported___x

I forgot to tell you that I'm doing what Japofran wrote but with no effect maybe I should change some config in bios (SOMEBODY KNOW WHICH ONE), on my previous mainboard(Via apollo P5MVP3) those dos drivers for that card were working. Even when I install win98 dos games acts like sound card doesnt exist & sound in win games works fine in winXP dos games detects sound card but sound is terrible, dosbox is too slow for "Redneck Rampage", playing that game without sound is a very big mistake
imported___x is offline                         Send a private message to imported___x
Old 21-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
InsaneFury
Forum hobbit

Aside from the SET BLASTER environment variable, there's a SET SOUND, which usually points to the sound drivers' location if I remember correctly. Perhaps you could fiddle with that as well...

Regardless, shouldn't there be some kind of readme, or support with (those dos drivers for) your soundcard?
InsaneFury is offline                         Send a private message to InsaneFury
Old 22-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It might be that you have to actually enable the onboard sound using either a jumper on the mainboard or via a setting in the BIOS. Check the mobo's manual for that.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 24-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Saphire
Abandonia nerd

I'm not sure about the Dos sound drivers for Sound Blaster Ensoniq, but a friend of me (from whose computer I'm posting right now) has Windows 98 aside of Windows XP, and his soundcard is Soundblaster Live! which also provides Dos drivers for Soundblaster 16 compatibility which is necessary for old Dos games, and he has no problems with the sound. But his card is Soundblaster 16 compatible with the right drivers. Maybe the drivers of your card can't detect the card because it doesn't have compatibility to the old Dos Soundblaster standards?
Saphire is offline                         Send a private message to Saphire
Old 28-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

Regarding what's being said about BIOS, with some systems it is necessary to enable sound through the BIOS setup. I had this trouble with a Linux box - it had the right drivers for the card - modprobe was set up and everything but no sound at all since I wiped Windoze. Several weeks later, I found out that sound had become automatically disabled in BIOS. I just had to click "enable sound" and it was OK. So try that.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon