Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I got a good, 1 ghz 12 gb computer for free! Altought the specs may not sound amazing, I could finally play Deus Ex and some other games in my own room. AAh..the sweet privacy.

And yesterday, it all went down. The problems started when the computer restarted itself once and while. It was annoying, so I tried to fiddle some settings and try to make it work. I changed some of the jumber clock settings and bam....now nothing happens.

The screen is all black. The computer is working, the harddisc is working, the monitor is working, but the screen is all black?

Please help me! When the computer got broken, I got totally depressed. I spent the rest of the day by sitting on a floor, drinking coke and listetning to Frank Sinatra & Bee Gee's...
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 19-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Subach

maybe the refresh rate is too high for the monitor

ps maybe is dumb question but have u checked all the connectors in the case?
Subach is offline                         Send a private message to Subach
Old 19-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well, whatever jumpers you have messed around, I hope you can retrace your steps. If not then you need the help of a knowing pro.
As for the PC restarting once in a while for itself, that seems to be a sign of the CPU heating up too much. Might be because of the very demanding games it runs, or maybe the cooler isn't sufficient enough. Do you have one above your CPU at all?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 19-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ May 19 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]290800[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Please help me! When the computer got broken, I got totally depressed. I spent the rest of the day by sitting on a floor, drinking coke and listetning to Frank Sinatra & Bee Gee's...
[/b]
LOL

well, the black screen appears before the boot i guess, right?
if it happened after you changed 'jumber clock' (but what exactly do you mean by i-changed-my-jumber-clock?) there uses to be the "save me plz i tried to clock my cpu and it doesnt work now" jumper on some motherboards which resets all the settings in bios to default. so take a look in to manual. or you can take the battery on mb out and wait few minutes or hours (but that never worked for me and it always remembered my settings o_O ..yesyes, i took the right thing out)

OR you could 'pwn' your power source (it did the same thing to me.. diodes shine but the screen is all black) and will need a new one.
if its the last case, i could somehow start my computer with the damaged power source when it was all 'freezed' when i turned it off and on (source, not power button), then turned computer on and when it didnt want to start pressed reset few times.. and it worked o_O
Old 19-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

I'd also recommend that you undo whatever you did. If the problem is CPU heating, besides the CPU demanding games you were using, the problem could also be that there's a lot of dust inside which acts as a thermal insulator, cleaning it should help. The crashes could also be because the OS is so full of garbage?
Old 19-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
jg007
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ May 19 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]290800[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I got a good, 1 ghz 12 gb computer for free! Altought the specs may not sound amazing, I could finally play Deus Ex and some other games in my own room. AAh..the sweet privacy.

And yesterday, it all went down. The problems started when the computer restarted itself once and while. It was annoying, so I tried to fiddle some settings and try to make it work. I changed some of the jumber clock settings and bam....now nothing happens.

The screen is all black. The computer is working, the harddisc is working, the monitor is working, but the screen is all black?

[/b]
where did you fiddle with the settings?

1. did you change the little black jumers on the motherboard?, if so do a google for the mobo model and set it up as per the correct setting for the CPU

2. does the hard drive light actually light up when you reboot?

3. do you see an image on the monitor at any point?

4. do you have a graphics card that you can try in the PC

5. are all the cards seated in the mobo?, if they are try removing all but the graphics card and disconneting the hard disks and floppy drives etc

jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 19-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Your motherboard is busted.

Check the capacitors if they went bad. (this is how they look when they are damaged: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195 )
Old 23-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You forgot one rule, The Chosen...
Rule: If you don't know what it does... don't mess with it.

Right now it may be any number of things - but, you say that after powering up, the hard drive bootup sound is audible? Graphics card may be suspect.
If you have changed the bus frequencies and multiplier for your CPU to values your machine cannot handle, it is possible to get such a situation. You _did_ note down the jumper layout before you started messing with it?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ May 23 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]291006[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You forgot one rule, The Chosen...
Rule: If you don't know what it does... don't mess with it.[/b]
And I study business and computers. How come I never remember that rule.

I did changed the graphic card, but still nothing happened.

Thanks for the article velik. I did checked for anything said in the article, but I found none.

To jg007's questions:

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. Il try that.

Il try some other stuff tonight.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 24-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ May 24 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]291197[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I did changed the graphic card, but still nothing happened.[/b]
Your AGP or PCI-E (depending which one you have) bus may have malfunctioned. Try a regular PCI video card and see if it changes anything.

I understand that all changes you did were made from the BIOS control panel accessible during boot-up? In that case, there is still some hope.

Look on the motherboard. There should be a pair of pins labeled "clear CMOS" or "reset CMOS". Jumper them and start up the machine. After a minute or so, turn it off and unjumper the pins. This will reset your BIOS to defaults.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman