Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever played AD&D
Yes(As a Dungeon Master) 6 27.27%
Yes(As a player) 9 40.91%
No,but ive always wanted to 3 13.64%
No,but im not even interested 2 9.09%
What is this? Some sort of board game? 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Question one is up there. I got the question two.

Im starting to play AD&D as a Dungeon master. Players are my little sister and her friend.
Any DMs out there:Give me some tips,advice,ideas...etc.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 28-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

Read up on a lot of fantasy, You have to be creative. Be prepared, nothing is more frustrating then a DM who has to keep looking things up. Learn to "freestyle" if players deviate from your story line you have to be able to adapt to this.
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 28-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

and adjust your monster/npc encounters based on the strength and efforts of whos playing. If they are playing well but having a lot of bad luck don't hit em at full force with an enemy that will squash them totally without them having a chance.

If they don't play smart though, feel free to give em a work out
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 28-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

Played it a couple of times. I was a female halfling thief named ''Patsy'' :angel:
Do you have the starters kit for D&D? Besides of that, you can buy the Monsters Compendium (I think that's the name) and Dragon magazine, because it has some pretty good ideas.
Old 28-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
a1s
Hero Gamer

on topic of books, consider getting GMs Guide. (the blue book), it has lot's of advice.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 29-07-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
omg
Games Master

i used to play it a lot. my fave charector was a halfling warrior who had called shot to the legs. used to be able to delegetate orcses in one hit.
its all down to your gm really. a good gm will bend the rules if no rule exists for what you want to be able to do. my halfling warrior got killed tho, damn orc lord, dice went against me and we had no cleric.
after that i went through a slew of playing clerics becuse evry time we got in a fight the entire party would surround me, indeed if i was out on my own there would be crys of "save the cleric" becuse without me they would get deaded. that and we had a gm who was excellent, and a total mathmatician, but towards the end of adventures he would put us in battles where mathmatically there was total odds that there would be in party casualties. meant we tended to have a variety of levels in the party as with him when you were dead, you were dead, new charector time.
great days.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 29-07-2005, 01:42 AM   #7
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Xikarita@Jul 28 2005, 10:45 PM
Played it a couple of times. I was a female halfling thief named ''Patsy'' :angel:
Do you have the starters kit for D&D? Besides of that, you can buy the Monsters Compendium (I think that's the name) and Dragon magazine, because it has some pretty good ideas.
Yups, I have teh starter set, but I only played it once, and that wasn't even a full game, by the way.....Duengeon Online!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! My beta mine!!!
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 29-07-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
omg
Games Master

im keeping an eye on thAT site. gonna sighn up for the beta as soon as they annonce it k: nice 1 for the link man k:
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 29-07-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
drumminfreek
Game freak

Thumbs down

ive DMed (is that a word?? :blink: ) and played.

:blink: heres one of my tips if you hate cocky players!(CUZ I CANT STAND EM!! :ranting: )
if :ranting: they get cocky dont be afraid to hitem!! and hard!!
drumminfreek is offline                         Send a private message to drumminfreek
Old 29-07-2005, 03:03 AM   #10
Yobor
Hero Gamer

I play this game a lot with my friends. We rotate being DM, but mostly I play as a character. I'm an obscenely smart rogue, usually human, Neutral Evil in actions, but my name varies from character to character. For a while it was Drakis Maine (or Mane) Then it was Rafe Winthrop. Sorry for the life's story, but I LOVE D&D....

EDIT: Oh, and who ever heard of this, "gm" thing? To be nitpicky (Which I am about D&D) it is Dungeon Master, or DM :bleh:

EDIT2: I just realized I had to say more. Well, buying all three books (Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual) may seem a waste of money, but in fact these three books are all you will ever need to make a good campaign. Plus, its virtually impossible to play without the first two.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor