Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
loempiavreter
Lurker

Default Old Korean pc game: Dark Judgement (DDERR_UNSUPPORTED)

http://rapidshare.com/files/41308608...ement.zip.html
(download link courtsey of Korean game expert, Derboo)

I have trouble running it. I can get the installer menu to work, install the game so far no problems. When I start it up I get the error DDERR_UNSUPPORTED (and something called ":setdisplay error" in the bar above it).

So I've tried everything from setting it to windows 98 compitable, to 256 colour compitable, to setting my desktop to 800x600 resolution. None work of course.

DDERR is something with directdraw I guess, trying to install the DirectX from the installer menu doesn't work on both my pc's. I don't know if the problem could be that I need to plug in my windows 98 pc again (but I have no time to do that, just to try), and install that driver (because I guess I have a far superior directX).

So my question is if anyone can get it to work, what are the settings (windows 98, manage to install the driver, what directx) anything. I've been looking forward to trying this game out a long time, so all the help is appreciated.

Derboo has no problem running it with DirectX 9.0c. Can anyone test that out and anyone else with DirectX10 and DirectX11 (to see If they get the same fault as me).
loempiavreter is offline                         Send a private message to loempiavreter
Old 22-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

I could try it on Win98 when I boot it the next time. Could take a while, since I was too lazy to work with it the last couple of months.
Old 22-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

Will give it a try run on my ol'P2 W98SE PC later this evening, if it works will also try it in VPC2007/W98SE.......

Later .....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Can't get it to work on newer hardware, black screen, no info, only a black screen .....
VPC/W98SE: crashes W98SE

Time to dig out the ol'stuff
Connected for now is:
P2/400MHz/64MB Ram/S3 virge 2 MB/ SB16 ISA/
<- click

Runs without any problem:
<- click

If the game is worth the hassle .... not for me, not my kind of game.

[Edit]
Mistook the hardware with another ol' piece of junk:
It's not a S3 but a Cirrus Logic 5436 1MB PCI video card.
And the DX version is DX7.0.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 22-08-2010 at 03:25 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 20-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
RandomName
Default Solution for me

I write here what made me run the game (on Win 8.1 + GEForce GTX 960) after years of trying !!

First of all, the "DDERR_UNSUPPORTED" error was related to a missing resolution that the game was trying to use (320x240), and in fact I didn't have it in my list.

Using NVIDIA Control Panel I added 320x240 as a Custom resolution (you should disable Dynamic Super Resolution from the 3D options to make it work)

Then, because Windows don't like resolutions inferior to 1024x768, and doesn't show them, you should force at least once the change from the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to the Windows list of resolutions and you'll see now the newer one too. (Then you can put up again your normal res)

Then, just put the executable in compatibility mode "Win 95" or "Win 98/ME" to prevent a crash.

Now the game should work, with just an issue, the cinematic intro could be black... but it doesn't give errors and I don't know why it's like that... anyway the game works for me with this solution

Old 21-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Thank you for info, RandomName. I hardly will play _this_ game, but it can be useful as general solution for older games...
Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Exclamation

One thing I remembered when using DOSBox and / or old games that run on Windows (ME / XP) is that when they get fullscreen, and after I exit the game, all open windows will have their dimensions changed. That made me frustrated back then.

One way around this would be that some games could stay in “Windows mode” by pressing CTRL + R.

Another way was in Compatibility Mode where in the options I could select the resolution of Windows Mode, probably the one you mentioned, in a way that minimizes this inconvenient problem.

Ah, when I played Alone in the Dark reboot, even though I was setting the resolution, it was the same thing before! I even understand the old games for being of different resolution, but Infogrames has no excuses for having so careless on that point.

EDIT:

I remembered that CTRL + R did not always work with all games.

I also checked the Compatibility Mode and the minimum resolution was unfortunately 640 x 480.

I also remembered that it was not just Alone in the Dark reboot, but Diablo II also caused the inconvenience of resizing the windows of all open programs.

Last edited by Mystvan; 12-09-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 13-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

You dis-remembered it, Mystvan. While "native" run of games (including compatibility - actually, compatibility itself often is the source of the problem) can resize all windows to current resolution (i.e.320 or 640x480), DOSBox is "sandbox" program. Everything run from it is separated from "main" windows, so it not break resolution for everyone else.