Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #21
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

There is no 1st edition... It goes Alpha, Beta, Revised (3rd) and 4th with a couple expension in between.

My oldest cards are from Revised (3rd edition) and it was a really good card game back then. I remember the time when creatures was what made you win games, not spells.

Magic was way more interesting back then... :not_ok:
Old 08-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #22
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The earliest expansions and editions had much better spels and enchantments then any other. It was very well possible to win the game without creatures back then and an only creature deck then was a sure fire way to lose.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #23
Gun Man
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Man

Stronghold is a good edition k: . 4 Megrim and 3 bottomless pit...(I have that) and is almost impossible to win.......me :P

Lead Designer - IronOak Studios:
PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO
Gun Man is offline                         Send a private message to Gun Man
Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I agree (to Picard) but you actually had to get those cards. When I began playing if someone would have a Force of Nature on play it was usually a sure win and led to forfeits most of the time. To beat that one would usually need to play blue and Counterspell it or have powerfull spells like Sword to Plowshare or the like and nobody could get the hand on those back then.

Lighning Bolts and Fireballs were common place tough... Ahhh, great memories.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #25
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by The Picard@Feb 8 2005, 04:22 PM
The earliest expansions and editions had much better spels and enchantments then any other. It was very well possible to win the game without creatures back then and an only creature deck then was a sure fire way to lose.
There was also a better balance among the five colors back then. You literally couldn't win with a 1-color deck, at least, not against a really well-thought-out 2-color deck. Each color was deliberately designed to have major disadvantages as well as advantages, that could only be plugged by building in a secondary suit.

Now, I occasionally check online to discover where people win all the time using a solo Green deck--not surprising, considering it has just about everything, these days. Sadly, too, the balance among cards, the way one spell could always be countered in several different ways, is missing, too. But then, Magic: The Gathering eventually turned into Magic: The Cash Cow. It happens.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #26
Gun Man
Abandonia nerd

A horrible truth. Just a green deck(or white but green is more common) can **** you up. . And in some way The Sims remember me to Magic...(a lot non sense expansions)

Old 08-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #27
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

I'd say the last expansion worth it's salt was Mirage. Then Magic became Gerrard: the Vanity. My favourite, though, is Legends.

Isn't there some kind of angel card that automatically wins the game for you now if you manage to play it? It's funny when Unglued becomes a prophecy rather than a parody. Funny, and sad.

Oh well, there's always Legend of the Five Rings.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #28
Gun Man
Abandonia nerd

There is a card.....red i think that if u win the toss you win the match if not Gameover.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #29
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

I bought a green kamigawa deck. Its easy to develope at the start but does not have powerfull creatures nor equipements. So it will be difficult to win only with 1 deck. Its true that the snake has a paralising ability but..... so u must put another deck if you want to win.

EDIT: ahhhh, yesterday I saw a card from the last deck kamigawa. U must pay one mana from each color to play the card, when in game you pay 2 manas and the target creature becomes 8/12 spirit with first strike.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #30
Durak
Games Master

4th Edition, Ice Age, Cronicles and Alliances (Getting Balduvian Horde was pretty cool) were good sets in my opinion. My brother and I never really played multi coloured decks except for one green/white, we found playing plain black and such to be the most entertaining (as long as we took out "cheap" cards such as circle of protections and red cards such as "Destroy all white permanents"). It's especially fun being red and casting raging goblin first round then second casting two lightning bolts and having them at 12hp before third turn...
Durak is offline                         Send a private message to Durak