Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-11-2004, 04:18 AM   #11
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Alot of members come here because they like the site or to ask for help on this or that game they downloaded here. Forcing them to register on a forum they're not sure they'll visit... it'll boost stats of users here, but is easily seen through by looking at posts. Along with that, it might kill leeching, but it'll kill regular downloading too. I know registering at some site just to download a game's usually a big no when I'm looking for something.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 20-11-2004, 04:22 AM   #12
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I agree.
Besides I don't think there's really anything anyone can do.
It's an endles circle - you think of a way to protect - someone thinks of a way to brake your protection - you think of a better way - so do they...
I guess well just have to be on the lookout for any sites that leech from us and report...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 20-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #13
mouse31e
Games Master

I was going to say the same thing.

If a site tells me I need to login to download - unless its a good site - I don't bother and I go somewhere else to get the game. I don't mind the letters as much but I still find them irritating (because I often use the computer before I've put my contact lenses in and I can't focus on them!)

I think we all should all be on the lookout and if it is obvious that another site is leeching we need to report it. Hopefully the situation won't get so serious that we have to resort to passwords or numbers.

I came across one site once that corrupted the download if you didn't click on two of its sponsor ads before doing the numbers thing. This meant you could wait half an hour for a download only to find it didn't work. Bloody awful way of stopping leeching and a bad way of making money from a site but it works!!!!
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 20-11-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Rule number one is to not end up like the Underdogs, their leeching protection is way to strong, to download anything from their site I have to turn off my firewall and do all sorts of other irrating (and in some cases dangerous) things. As for registering, that could be easily bypassed and it would kill our good stats for visits (21,000 visitors per day but only 700 forum accounts) and would be extremly irritating.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 20-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #15
Caged
Game Wizzard

stupid question, but what is leeching?

That and, i like the idea of the letter trick. Always helps to make people wanting to do harm to a site jump through more hoops to do it. Then when they trip, we may point and laugh at them LOL
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 20-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

I agree with idea to put some leech protection!

That thing about downloading only for members - I completely dissagree!!! On that way none will register to the site, and we will never arive at 800 members, so there wont be MEGA UPDATE!
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 20-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #17
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Leeching would be if someone started an old games site (especially a pay one) and when you clicked on one of their download links it lead to another sites download links so the leecher would get all of the credit/money but the person whose site was being leeched from would be paying for the bandwidth etc.
Old 20-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #18
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Are you sure??? I thought leeching is placeing somekind of protection, like an image with letters, so that you need manualy write them when you want to download something, cuz computer programs can't read from images!
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 20-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #19
Caged
Game Wizzard

oke, thx for the info
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 20-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Nov 20 2004, 03:59 PM
Are you sure??? I thought leeching is placeing somekind of protection, like an image with letters, so that you need manualy write them when you want to download something, cuz computer programs can't read from images!
No, that's leech protection, the idea of those is to stop directly linking to the downloads (you need to go through that check before you can download anything.