Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Ronin99

I have tried following the guide exactly as it is written (the one where it asks you to download flashback and install it) and everything seems fine until the part where I have to install it. Dosbox keeps telling me that "install" is an illegal command.

The demo picture with the guide shows files in the flashback directory that I dont have either. Where am I going wrong? :help:
Ronin99 is offline                         Send a private message to Ronin99
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Have you extracted the contents of the Flashback archive as instructed? If DOSBox is telling you install is illegal command, you may not have changed the directory to the one containing the install.exe (or .bat) file.

Most archives on the site are already installed - you need to extract the contents in Windows, then run the setup or install program in DOSBox to configure the sound before you can run the game.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 08-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It is possible you have a different version of Flashback then the one they used for the tutorial, so the executables might be named differently. Try using DIR command and see what does it report.

Maybe this will help: DosBox Newbie Guide

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Ronin99

Thanks for the reply guys im going bonkers here.

Probably got different version then. I use the CD FLASH command to switch to the flashback directory then I use the DIR command to see what files it has. I have:

FB {DIR}
NOTESO~1 {DIR}

Im not sure where to go from here because im a total DOS newbie. Can anyone help because there are so many games I want to play again but cant get them going?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Dino
Call me Edmund

It seems that you have 2 subdirectories and 0 files in that directory. Type ''cd fb'' after ''cd flash'' and then type ''install''.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Also make sure you read the "notes on crack". Little to remember, but very important.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Ronin99

Cheers guys. Managed to get a few games working using Overlords technique but flashback is still not running. Also, on some games I get a load of directories that I cant see on the screen and I cant find a way to scroll up and down the list. I could have sworn I have seen how to do it in a guide or the readme but I cant find it again.
Old 13-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Data
retired

dir/w/p