Raasted
Abandonia nerd

Multiplayer Panzer General - how very nice k:

/Raasted

Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted
Old 03-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #92
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I remember spending hours and hours and weeks with this game. It was the first turn based strategy game I played where you could actually tell by the graphics what kind of a unit you were dealing with. But the battles reminded me too much of Civilization, that is, the outcome didn't exactly make a lot of sense everytime. It eventually became too annoying.

#2 is, imo, much better. That is, with the leaders and special abilities, and improved battle algorithms, that game had me going for years. Of course, when I got tired of it, and started to exploit the bugs and flaws, it became not so much a strategy game as a comedy -> Going to the US of A with 35-40 15-level King Tigers and 1 (!) scout that did solo wipe outs of the entire enemy frontline has got to be the most absurd moments in 'electronic warfare'.

Two things I missed in #2 were the level bombers and the greater maps. In #1 you get the feeling of attacking an entire country, while in the sequel it was more of a local brawl.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #93
Raasted
Abandonia nerd

Agree agree and agree again

/Raasted
Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #94
Japo
Autonomous human

I played this game only a little but I don't remember the combat results' being too random, on the contrary they seemed to me very realistic -which implies some variation. Are you sure you took every factor into account: both units' types, entrenchment, terrain, weather, etc.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #95
laiocfar
NOD Commander

they arent random there is some random factor that make a combat to get an unexpected result like the RUGGED DEFENCE event when an unit with high entrenchment get their defence pumped up. Anyway in the combat equation high expirence its too important but the campaign mode is OK it isnt too hard or easy, it got some strategic in the war (not only battles). A real top game.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 AM   #96
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 4 2006, 04:39 AM) [snapback]234165[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
they arent random there is some random factor that make a combat to get an unexpected result like the RUGGED DEFENCE event when an unit with high entrenchment get their defence pumped up.
[/b]
Oh, I remember the RUGGED DEFENCE alright! Approaching a dug in infantry unit with anything other than artillery/planes/pioneers is suicide, I know. But I think I remember having all sorts of units slaughtered by this cursed factor after I dug'em up. A light tank (the HMG kind) should be able to cope with a dug-up unit out in the open. Not neccessarily so here, I'm afraid. Remember what tanks were designed for: During WW I they needed a weapon platform that allowed them to approach enemy HMG nests in the trenches. Enter the tank. In the latter part of WW II they evolved into a multi-role vehicle, to some degree acting as anti tank units. In Poland, the Polish cavalry units were mostly slaughtered by German tanks, though they occacionally took one out. In this game, the light German tanks, according to my memory, would do better mopping up the remains of damaged enemy units, and even then I was taken by supprise sometimes.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #97
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 4 2006, 04:39 AM) [snapback]234165[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
they arent random there is some random factor that make a combat to get an unexpected result like the RUGGED DEFENCE event when an unit with high entrenchment get their defence pumped up. Anyway in the combat equation high expirence its too important but the campaign mode is OK it isnt too hard or easy, it got some strategic in the war (not only battles). A real top game.
[/b]
the units initiative is pretty important too - it determines who strikes first.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #98
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Take easy with the too first, cheap, weak and unexperienced tanks. The first tank that is the king of battlefield was the Panzer IV. Anyway, WWI tanks failed to overpower the trench war. Light tanks were used as explorer or troops support not as independent unit like med and hv tanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #99
Tora
Lurker

I have the original Cd of Panzer General but ,with Win ME ,the game crash many times. I have tried to use the Dosbox but says to me 'Failed to load @:/lib/drv/vesa480.dll'.
I have found in Internet the file 'vesa480.dll' but I don't know where I must put it(i have tried in windows/system32 but doesn't work).I have seen that many others people have this same problem, can u help me?
sry for my bad english
Tora is offline                         Send a private message to Tora
Old 20-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #100
Privateer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 4 2006, 05:58 AM) [snapback]234169[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 4 2006, 04:39 AM) [snapback]234165[/snapback]
Quote:
they arent random there is some random factor that make a combat to get an unexpected result like the RUGGED DEFENCE event when an unit with high entrenchment get their defence pumped up.
[/b]
Oh, I remember the RUGGED DEFENCE alright! Approaching a dug in infantry unit with anything other than artillery/planes/pioneers is suicide, I know. But I think I remember having all sorts of units slaughtered by this cursed factor after I dug'em up. A light tank (the HMG kind) should be able to cope with a dug-up unit out in the open. Not neccessarily so here, I'm afraid. Remember what tanks were designed for: During WW I they needed a weapon platform that allowed them to approach enemy HMG nests in the trenches. Enter the tank. In the latter part of WW II they evolved into a multi-role vehicle, to some degree acting as anti tank units. In Poland, the Polish cavalry units were mostly slaughtered by German tanks, though they occacionally took one out. In this game, the light German tanks, according to my memory, would do better mopping up the remains of damaged enemy units, and even then I was taken by supprise sometimes.
[/b][/quote]

A light tank coping with a dug up infantry? How? Remember, although infantry is represented by a single unit here, it doesn't mean that every soldier in that unit has just a rifle. Infantry units of that size would definitely have anti-tank teams (Bazooka for US or Panzershreik for German). Even earliest infantry had anti-tank grenades and mines. That's why they get a 1 or 2 in Heavy Attack: they CAN shoot back, just not very good at it. So if the attacking tanks are weak or caught in a bad position, they can and will be destroyed. If the infantry is heavily entrenched and built anti-tank defences, I can't imagine light tanks displacing them. In the open, it's another matter, and the game reflects that.

I've also done very well against cavalry with the earliest German tanks, so long as it is in the open. Of course, if the cavalry is entrenched in a city, it'd be suicidal to go there. WWII cavalry was basicly infantry anyway, they just used horses for quick mobility.