Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-07-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
Sameeralord
Game freak

Talking

Hi Guys,
After reading your replies to my previous topic I have burned my DVD movie successfully. Then I so another feature called burn DVD to VCD. I used that feature because I got lot of CDs and it is a cheaper way. Now my DVD movie is 890 MB. All the movie files are in MPEG 1 format to burn into a CD as a VCD. The problem I have is 890 MB is really close to 700 MB(normal capacity of a CD) so without wasting another CD how can I compress these MPEG 1 files so they can be put in one CD. I don't want to e-mail these files or anything so I can't use normal compressors like WINRAR, all I want to know is how can I compress these files to a CD so when I put it in my DVD/VCD player it would play. Help would be really appreciated. Thanks k:
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 04-07-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

You can always re-encode the whole thing but with a lower bitrate/framerate.

But... i would REALY recomend dropping the VCD-part, as you get better visual quality from Xvid and DivX. Use some heavy compression for the sound also, and it shouldn't be any problems fitting it on a single CD.. One question thou...

why?

Every time your compress/reencode it to make it smaller, it turns crappier and crappier...

There is a reason why a DVD is 4.2 GB....
Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

NERO has an automated function that tries to fit the files to a CD. It can only do this if the gap is not substantial and I think 190MB is too much. You could try to use two CD's for the task, that should work.
Also try and make SVCD (super Video CD) which has a much better quality at the cost of a slightly higher bitrate (70Min. VCD, 50Min. SVCD). I have a whole collection of VCD and SVCD and it is cheaper yes but I still prefer DVD's because of the quality increase.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 04-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Dino
Call me Edmund

Yes, there's a function called 'overburning' in Nero, but it's mostly used just for small ammount of additional data, 190 MB is way too much. If you try to overburn more than 50MB you have a high risk of ruining the disc.

However, there's also one more possible solution. Some recorders (like Plextor Premium) can record to discs of higher capacity (I think 90 minutes or so) and even have Gigarec support, which means that in some cases you can even achieve compression of additional 30%.

However, I strongly recommend burning to DVD's. It now became standard and you'll lose LOT of quality by compressing video to 800 MB. DVD's are really not that expensive.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There are 870 MB CD-R's.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
Sameeralord
Game freak

Thanks everyone for your comments k: . I would make an SVCD if I have to use two CDS(Which is the best explanation here so far) k: . 860 mb CD-R is also an great idea k: but I haven't seen them. I'm not telling they are not there but I prefer 700 mb CDs cause I have lots of them. You all are right in terms of the quality that burning DVDs to DVDs gives you the best quality but I'm not really into quality I just want to see it in a normal way. Another problem has risen the software I used to convert my DVD to VCD expired.Does anyone know about a pure freeware software that can do this?Help would be greatly appreciated. k:
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 04-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The standard device for making VCD is http://www.tmpgenc.net/. I have never used it for DVD ripping and I am not sure if it will handle VOB files. If it does not use http://gordianknot.sourceforge.net/to rip it to AVI and then use TMPGEnc to make a VCD out of it. There will be a little quality loss each step but since the DVD->VCD is a huge step backward you will not notice the loss of quality of the added steps as much.

Make a note however that VCD does not support wide screen and you must either cut out a part of the screen to make it 4x3 or add bars to the top and bottom to make it appear wide screen on a 4x3 set.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 06-07-2005, 04:04 AM   #8
Sameeralord
Game freak

Thanks everyone!!. Anyways one of my friend have a software that can do the VCD part so I borrowed and installed it from him.
@Picard:Yeah that is a bit of a disadvantage
Old 06-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

why aren't there disks that are as big as complete DVD disks (ones already burned and in shops) avaliable empty?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think that's because of materials and production costs. You see, producing a pre-recorded disc is different then producing a recordable one.

Plus, also, the double-layer technology.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman