Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #31
TaloN
Hero Gamer

half life 2 and 1
sid meiers pirates! - the new version, absolutely stunning.
silver
fallout 2
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #32
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by TaloN@Jan 6 2005, 09:26 PM
half life 2 and 1
sid meiers pirates! - the new version, absolutely stunning.
silver
fallout 2
Er...these are the games you find most "touching"? As in games that go straight to the heart? :blink:
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 06-01-2005, 09:38 PM   #33
Wael
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Jan 6 2005, 04:29 PM
Excerpted from my own old review of King of Dragon Pass, once published in a now vanished magazine:

"But the single most interesting feature in KoDP is the way it effectively becomes a different game every time its you play it. Yes, I know you’ve heard it before, but it’s never been attempted on this scale; for KoDP tracks hundreds of clan variables and more than four hundred potential plots, at least one of which is randomly generated nearly every season of your clan’s existence.

Some plots are one-shot situations with immediate, shortterm effects, like a proposed marriage between members of your clan and another’s. Others create story threads that hibernate for long periods, only to burst into view many years later—like one noble I had on a ring, whose occasional, whimsically silly, non sequitur advice about the evil of Elves suddenly turned deadly serious after more than twenty years of excellent service, when he deliberately maimed three Elves in the clan woodlands, victims of his desire to force a war....

I’ll gladly raise a drinking horn to toast the creators of such an original and rich game as KoDP. With variety, depth, and a Celtic folk soundtrack to die for, this game’s a solid keeper."
Is it found in it´s full form anywhere?
The review?
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 06-01-2005, 10:23 PM   #34
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Wael+Jan 6 2005, 10:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wael @ Jan 6 2005, 10:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Borodin@Jan 6 2005, 04:29 PM
Excerpted from my own old review of King of Dragon Pass, once published in a now vanished magazine:

"But the single most interesting feature in KoDP is the way it effectively becomes a different game every time its you play it.* Yes, I know you’ve heard it before, but it’s never been attempted on this scale; for KoDP tracks hundreds of clan variables and more than four hundred potential plots, at least one of which is randomly generated nearly every season of your clan’s existence.*

Some plots are one-shot situations with immediate, shortterm effects, like a proposed marriage between members of your clan and another’s.* Others create story threads that hibernate for long periods, only to burst into view many years later—like one noble I had on a ring, whose occasional, whimsically silly, non sequitur advice about the evil of Elves suddenly turned deadly serious after more than twenty years of excellent service, when he deliberately maimed three Elves in the clan woodlands, victims of his desire to force a war....

I’ll gladly raise a drinking horn to toast the creators of such an original and rich game as KoDP.* With variety, depth, and a Celtic folk soundtrack to die for, this game’s a solid keeper."
Is it found in it´s full form anywhere?
The review? [/b][/quote]
Only on my hard drive, these days. And in the vaults of the company that purchased the rights to the company that once owned the magazine. I can't post it as such, because they have the copyright. You never know when somebody's going to decide to post a bunch of old reviews. Just recently, one of the publications I wrote for suddenly decided to open a website and pull a slug of reviews from the past. Several of mine were included.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #35
LordHogFred
Forum hobbit

Wow I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the all time gems that made me just lust for a sequel and sit there thinking for ages afterwards.
System Shock 2 was absolutly amazing, the ending was just fantastic.

However for a game that actually touched me it would have to be (despite not being that old) Unreal 2: The Awakening, the ending in that actually made me cry

ALso I would have to agree the Ultima series are the most stunning set of Role playing games in existance. I still play them to this day and I@m actually hosting my own Ultima Online server

LordHogFred is offline                         Send a private message to LordHogFred
Old 07-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #36
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin+Jan 6 2005, 02:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Jan 6 2005, 02:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stroggy@Jan 6 2005, 10:17 AM
What games have you played that left you absolutely breathless or adrenaline-pumped as the credits rolled by?
That's a great question, and not one I've seen anywhere, before.

My favorite in this regard is probably Planescape: Torment. It was so very well written, so imaginative in its plotting, and so remorseless in its conclusions that I was blown away at the end. It's one game where you really don't know what to expect, and the ultimate game quest of self-knowledge doesn't result in the usual comicbook stupidity.

By comparison, another excellent RPG like Ultima VII: the Black Gate left me pleased because of its environment but completely unmoved by the end. All the "surprises" were so obvious and the plot twists so telegraphed in advance that the final showdown was easy to guess within two hours of gameplay. I remember speaking with the longtime PR Director for Origin Systems while in the process of reviewing Ultima VII and started asking him, "So this evil deity is trying to mislead you..." He jumped in at once with a suspcious, "What leads you to think he's evil?" Let's see: a giant bass voice comes out of nowhere trying to direct your steps, and occasionally laughs at you, while his followers use his teachings to steal, ostracize, and kill. I wonder where I got that idea? [/b][/quote]
I sense we're going to be good, good friends, Borodin.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #37
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by LordHogFred@Jan 6 2005, 11:37 PM

However for a game that actually touched me it would have to be (despite not being that old) Unreal 2: The Awakening, the ending in that actually made me cry

The ending was good, the rest of the game... well... llets just say gameplay was severely lacking at times.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #38
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Jan 6 2005, 10:10 PM
I will say Black Mirror was a game that touched me! The game is not very difficult (at least not for me), but the story is one of the best stories I have ever seen!
Also Fallout 2 - the story how China attacked USA (if anybody read that)!
That game had atmosphere!
You literraly felt you were solving a mistery in a medieval castle!Those graphics were GREAT!!!
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #39
Wael
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Jan 6 2005, 11:23 PM

Only on my hard drive, these days.* And in the vaults of the company that purchased the rights to the company that once owned the magazine.* I can't post it as such, because they have the copyright.* You never know when somebody's going to decide to post a bunch of old reviews.* Just recently, one of the publications I wrote for suddenly decided to open a website and pull a slug of reviews from the past.* Several of mine were included.
That´s a shame really,
would have been intrested in reading it...

May you reveal the name of the magazine?
Just to amuse me...

Quote:
My favorite in this regard is probably Planescape: Torment. It was so very well written, so imaginative in its plotting, and so remorseless in its conclusions that I was blown away at the end. It's one game where you really don't know what to expect, and the ultimate game quest of self-knowledge doesn't result in the usual comicbook stupidity.
And the dialog...
All of it /-

Way ahead (as a roleplaying game) of for example Baldur´s gates, Arcanum, morrowind etc etc...

And Just wondering...
Taking a note of the fact that Kodp succeeded in sales only in finland...
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 07-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #40
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

I take offense at the term "comicbook stupidity". Sorry, I just noticed it.

I am an avid fan of comics and as a medium, they are as viable as novels, movies, television, or computer games. They have some of the best, most exciting, most heartfelt stories I have ever read, and many of them are even in the superhero genre.

You know when some professor somewhere says all computer games are stupid and bad for you? That they're juvenile and contain nothing but mindless violence? Well, how you feel is how I feel at such terms.

Thanks for your time.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt