Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Infamus
Lurker

Talking Wing commander for FreeSpace Open!

For those of you who don't know what FSOpen is go here: http://hard-light.net

FSO is a complete overhaul of the original FS2 engine. The makers of FSOpen also have what are simply known as the Mediavps, which contain High-Poly versions of the old stuff as well as new HD textures, among other things.

This version of the engine provides exelent support for missions, mods, and even total-conversions.

The T-C I am talking about is the Wing Commander Saga. It is very High-Poly and because FreeSpace features a tech-room, you get to see all of the awesome ships in their fully textured quality, depending on your current graphics settings, and a detailed description.

Only the prelude has been release but it was quite something, it also features landing on bases (like the original), subsystems and turrets (like the original), and shield and energy management systems. Plus, outfitting your ship is hell-loads easier. Oh did i mention the HD graphics?

Unfortunately FS2 is still owned by Volition, however you can get it online from GOG.com for a low price, or you can find it on EBay or something. Don't bother geting the first one, once you get FS2 get FSOpen, the Mediavps, and FSPort, which is the original, I suggest getting the FSPort Mediavps, which are HD versions of the original graphics.
I have to warn you though, FS2 is 3 CD's big and contains approximately 1.5 gigs so you better have a good internet connection, and the installation isn't much smaller if you are getting the full package - about 1 gig -

Oh yeah, the website for the Wing Commander Saga is http://www.wcsaga.com/

And don't worry, there are not any major bugs, as far as i can tell.

Last edited by Infamus; 26-06-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Infamus is offline                         Send a private message to Infamus