Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #81

I don't see a thread for the original X-Com, I figured this game was close enough to make the question appropriate. I also assume many of the players of this game played the original, as well.

If you can point me to the thread for the original game I'd be pleased to post there.

Old 14-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #82

Doh, I found it, nevermind. :bye:

Old 14-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #83
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

I have to say that whilst this game is good, the original is about twice as good.

I think that the most annoying element was that they changed all of the names of all the useful earth weapons, to be more 'futuristic' and I had to learn everything again!

And Dye grenades still knocked the aliens out!

Another problem was that, like the first game, to start with, you have such a horrible layout for your base that it is nearly impossible to defend and early on in the game it's quite hard to get enough money to build another.

So whilst the game may be championed by some for adding a new place to fight, it is basically a worse version of the original, but also with an annoying research bug.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 15-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #84
Xcom-fan

I'm using dosBOX 0.63. Has been working flawlessly.

The alien name you all refer to is Deep One.

The best weapon against the Lobstermen are "Vibro Blades" and "Thermic Lances"
Why ? Because they require very little time units to be used and can penetrate
their tough exo-skeleton ;-)
Since they require few time units to be effectively used, you can spend more
units walking around.

As far as Apocalipse goes, I'll say that the radical change in the alien life forms
took off good part of my empathy for this game. Come on, can anyone accept
the fact those giant green slugs have any remants of intelligence or the others
can build all that weaponry ? Not to mention the final alien... it's simply pathetic.

But I really like the aerial battle against those ufos over the city

Still cannot set aside any of these games... once in a while I catch myself playing
Enemy Unknown and TFTD :-)

Old 17-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #85
lala

i don't know if it's a version thing, (i got the UK Powerplus version of this game if i remember),

i never had any problem with a research bug, but i did have....

synapse (or whatever) site missions were impossible to complete sometimes, because of a bug that ment the last alien was hidden behind a wall off the map, and even if i destroyed the 'synonim device' (or whatever) the mission didn't end, and if i evacuated after destroying it the game wouldn't recognize that i had completed the mission and it would come up as failed .. all that time wasted... and then facing the over numerous and extremely boring cruise ship missions, etc

one thing i did think was an improvement, was the layout of the 'ufos', the way they had gantries and stuff to shoot you from above as u entered the alien ships, i thought that was clever design

Old 18-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #86
Ultralisk

I wanna ask you sth. the thing is I can't run it with the bootdisk I mean it's givig some soundblaster errors and we are clicking on the terror.com aren't we ?
Ultralisk is offline                         Send a private message to Ultralisk
Old 18-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #87
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

There is a research bug in TFTD. If you do your research in the wrong order you might not have access to some research in the tree, and some of them are essential.

Here is the fix, but if you use it without the bug then I do consider this a cheat. So should you.
Old 23-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #88
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

The one I especially hate is when you research a Tasloth Commander (I think they're called that) and it stops you getting the research to the Leviathon, which is necesssary to complete the game.

That is possibly the most annoying thing ever, especially if you only keep one campaign save!
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 23-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #89
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

I have finished Ufo few times and I thought I go and play X-COM TFD...And you all are RIGHT it is a lot tougher than UFO but more or less the same .I have question:How you actually upgrade your soldiers?I mean all my mens have 8 missions with OK and EXCELLENT rating and the best one has killed more than 15 alien but he is STILL ENSIGN!! :ranting: And other at lowest rank.They have quite good stats thought but it is diference between seaman with good stats and commander with good stats...So how actually does this system work? :blink:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 23-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #90
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I think you can only have a set number of higher ranked squaddies and this depend of the total amount of squaddies you have. For example I never managed to get the higher ranked soldiers until I dramatically increased the total number of squaddies in one of my games. After I got more squaddies and done a single successful mission then they all got promoted in a flash. Some people who did not even take part in the mission (but were not rookies anymore) even got promoted.

So I'd say that if you'd want those particular soldiers to get higher rank you either have to take the higher ranks out of the game somehow or have more squaddie under them. Once they get a rank they can't get back so I guess it has something to do with a first there first serve basis.

IMHO ranks mean nothing. I never noticed a real difference except for the moral effect when an officer die.