Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #21
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Honkers@Sep 12 2005, 12:12 AM
Uh... What? Are you saying I should copy what you have and paste it in mine? We don't have identical hardware you know.

BTW won't the abandonia boot disk screw up all my settings? I use this computer for things other than old games, and I hope that won't send my computer back to the stone age if you know what I mean... will it make any significant or nonsignificant changes?
you can copy them into abandonia disk, but you can leave these lines out:
rem c:\mouse\mouse.exe
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
SET CTSYN=C:\sbpci
c:\sbpci\apinit

these are settings for my sound blaster. the rest of commands will be made by abandonia boot disk programme (they are commands for memory settings).
These commands define that you will tranfer you drivers into higher memorry and leave more space for starting up the porgramme.

no. abandonia bood disk will be (should be) created on your floppy disk and will boot your system in dos via floppy disk. you will be able to play most dos games there without problems.

also i suggest you make all changes in autoexec.bat and config.sys file on your floppy disk. that way if you mess up something you can simply format the floppy disk and make another boot disk like that. although i really dont' see what you can mess up.

to return back to WIN98 simply take out the flooppy out of the dirve and reboot your computer (press ctrl+alt+delete or use the button on your computer casing).

BTW i already have 3 boot disks each with various settings.
There is a way you can fit multiple settings on one disk (like having different config.sys files) but i can't remember exactly how you to it.
Something similar to the menu you get when you turn on your computer and continuously press F8. that will give you menu on how you want to start windows (normal mode, safe mode, no drivers mode...).

sometimes this is usefull to know because maybe you will need some game that is played with keyboard and uses beeper for sound and need lot of basic memorry (in this case no drivers setting might help). again to return to normaql WIN 98 just reboot your computer.

I hope this solves your problems. Some older DOS games really had difficult memory settings. there is only 640kB of basic memory (for starting up porgrammes) in compuers. hardly enough, and on the other hand it kind of breakes developement of computers. and we owe it all to Billy. he famous quote: " 640kB should be more than enough space for every computer". a few years alter RAM increased to 1MB and so on... today we have GB of ram in computers and still basic 640kB start up RAM. :Titan:
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 12-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #22
Honkers

Muchas gracias . I'll try it now. *holds breath, inserts floppy, and reboots...*

Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #23
Honkers

:Brain: YES!! IT WORKED! Now I'll just try to get the sound working. Thank you very much!

Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #24
Honkers

Okay... I guess I need help getting the sound to work.

Old 13-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #25
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Honkers@Sep 12 2005, 08:06 PM
Okay... I guess I need help getting the sound to work.
this depends on what sound card are you using? or what is the subtitute for it (compatibility of it)?

Usually DOS games have some soundsetup to set it up (like sndsetup.exe or just setup.exe ). and might you also have to insert a few line in that autoexec file. which ones? well if it's creative labs SB they have some programmes that will help you install them to work under DOS. same goes for some other cards.

but you have some new onboard card then you might have some difficulties getting it to work.

Old 14-09-2005, 03:26 AM   #26
Honkers

Yup; it's creative. I guess I'll look on their website for these programs or whatever.

Old 14-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #27
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Honkers@Sep 14 2005, 03:26 AM
Yup; it's creative. I guess I'll look on their website for these programs or whatever.
these mentione programmes are usually in the game.

if it's soundblaster and not the newest "live" one then you can use my lines of autoexec.bat (without my comments offcourse). you can modify them:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2 <---this one configures SB (A=port, I=IRQ...)
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS <---deifnes where Soundsape is installed
SET CTSYN=C:\sbpci <--- this one i don't know exactly
c:\sbpci\apinit <--- This one initialises SB

Best way to install it is to run DOS with abandonia boot disk and then go to the folder where your SB is installed. there you should find some setup or something simmilar. run that and SB will install the propper lines into autoexec.bat on your abandonia disk.

Another option is to search for Autoexec.bat the windows is using (Start -> Run -> sysedit.exe or find it on the disk) and simply copy lines that set SB into autoexec.bat on your abandonia boot disk.
Old 15-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #28
Honkers

I edited autoexec.bat like you said, but the install program could only find an internal speaker. :eeeeeh:

Old 16-09-2005, 04:48 AM   #29
Honkers

Can anyone explain this to me?

Old 16-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #30
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

After the huge number of post you've made already Honkers, would you mind if I suggest you to create yourself an account? You'd probably be taken more seriously that way anyways.