Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
mongoose85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
No, those scripts are run from within DOSBox, so whatever your OS is does not matter.

Incidentally, DOSBox accepts '/' as equivalent to '\'
The scripts are running within DosBox, but the lines that need to be edited are executing the mount command which takes a path on your host system as an argument. This is why the file separators matter and the lines need to be edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
There's a text file somewhere in there IIRC that you can edit to make the change permament. Been a while since I set this up.
Thanks for the tip. I dug a little deeper and it does look like you can edit PREP.COM (lines 98 and 102) and it will make the changes permanent.
mongoose85 is offline                         Send a private message to mongoose85
Old 25-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

OK thanks. Then we may have to fix the archive...
Old 25-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

Own Battle.net edition of this one.

Finished Tides of Darkness twice and Beyond the Dark Portal once.

Definitely my favorite WarCraft title.

The pure audio joy when you send about dozen peasants/peons to chop wood...priceless.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 26-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #14
BostonGeorge
Game freak

Post status

Since when is it for free? I didn't notice that.
Old 25-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Karloth
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
The instructions on the download/review page does mention that the game must be mounted so that it's in a C:\WAR2\ folder inside DOSBox. But I guess it can be misunderstood to mean real instead of virtual location, I'll see if I can rephrase that, but this is always tricky for people. Scatty's commands would work if you skip the "mount d ..." one, as war2.bat mounts its own CD. Although it isn't recommended in general to mount your whole actual hard disk in DOSBox; it would be better something like "mount c c:\dos", if you put the game at "c:\dos\war2"

This archive's not original, it was made by Horseman, including the war2.bat loader. The CDs (the one for Tides of Darkness and the other one for the expansion) are included as folders and mounted by this script, and that's why you have to select which to play before starting the game, and you can't swap them without exiting the game, the way the archive is prepared.

Other approaches are possible, for example DOSBox allows several CDs to be prepared for mounting, by passing multiple arguments to a single mount command, and then swap them at any time with Ctrl+F4...
im having trouble starting the game
i get to the menu and i click single player and it says i need to insert the cd
can i get almost specific directions on how to make the game playable
Karloth is offline                         Send a private message to Karloth
Old 30-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
florianix
Abandonia nerd

There are some issues with the script that I had to fix in order to make the game find its CD:
1) Modify the start.bat according to the comment of Mongoose85 (as I run it on Linux).
2) Replace "TOD" with "ToD" in the path (line 21 of start.bat).
I think (at least this should be fixed in the script, as the directory in the archive is "ToD").

Anyway, the script as it is is now together with the instructions on the review page definitely didn't work for me without those modifications. Maybe it does work out of the box with Windows, but its definitely not with Linux and I'd also expect MacOS users to have the same problems.

The download as it is currently offered here will be ways too difficult to use for most users.
Could probably be easier if the two parts (ToD and DP) would be offered seperately...
florianix is offline                         Send a private message to florianix
Old 31-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #17
florianix
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by florianix View Post
There are some issues with the script that I had to fix in order to make the game find its CD:
1) Modify the start.bat according to the comment of Mongoose85 (as I run it on Linux).
2) Replace "TOD" with "ToD" in the path (line 21 of start.bat).
I think (at least this should be fixed in the script, as the directory in the archive is "ToD").
Have to add:
3) Mount the D-Drive as CDROM manually.
Without that, I get an error that the (correct) directory that should be mounted doesn't exist.
florianix is offline                         Send a private message to florianix
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
burblecut
Default Issues

Okay, for some reason the file shows as a 7z. Zip or some such. So I go and get 7z from a site to open it. Doesn't do anything to it. Try to Dosbox it. Nothing but a lack of compatability message and a note about it being more than 8 characters long which apparently dosbox does not like long names like Warcraft2 etc.

How can I fix this and be able to play this game?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

7Z is an archive. Games are packed into those so that you can download them as a single file.
You need to unpack it, and then run the unpacked game in DOSBox. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406

To start the game, use START.BAT . It will allow you to choose whether you want to play the base game or the expansion and perform additional tasks needed to ensure whichever you chose runs properly.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #20
burblecut

Quote:
7Z is an archive. Games are packed into those so that you can download them as a single file.
You need to unpack it, and then run the unpacked game in DOSBox. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406

To start the game, use START.BAT . It will allow you to choose whether you want to play the base game or the expansion and perform additional tasks needed to ensure whichever you chose runs properly.
Quote:

Thanks for the help with the 7z. I feel pretty lame though given the files are still dodging any form of being opened beyond menus.

Hate to ask a second question on this but can I get a link to the IIRC fix for the game?

It's bothering me that the virtual space will read the game enough to access the menus but that after that for anything not requiring the cd like Lans it still demands to find a cd drive. I don't have Rewritable disks or other capabilities to write cd's to copy paste for it. I tried switching the CD path directory in the Settings to send it on a path to it's own data files in the ToD, but nothing occurred.