Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-04-2006, 03:20 AM   #11
Mystero

Where do I get a copy of the manual (to get passed the security whatsim)???

Old 28-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
blud63

this copy appears to be already cracked, and you only have to hit enter when it asks for the password.
blud63 is offline                         Send a private message to blud63
Old 17-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #13

I was one of the graphics team for this game. All in all, I worked on Daemonsgate over a period of 4 years (though did work on other games in that time). The play area on this game is mentally big and I can understand why players got frustrated over the long haul. In hindsight, shrinking the cities and the areas between them would have served the game well.

The game also suffers from sloppy design in places, and insufficient play-testing (mainly because it took so bloody long to play the thing even if you knew the solution). It was a loooong time ago though. The way the graphics were implemented (i.e. a lack of transparencies on wall-corners, lack of animation frames for the NPCs/PCs etc.) was largely down to memory restrictions - their just wasn't room for the code. Other games we worked on at the time (e.g. Nightbreed) handled this better because the maps weren't so demanding. The maps were constructed in a unique hierarchical way that meant we could do an aweful lot of play area with a very small amount of bitmaps - each city was built from only about 1024 carefully chosen character bitmaps. This did tend to make the cities a bit samey, but each city had it's own character-set so they did at least all have their own character. I think this was the first game I'd seen where the roofs of building came off when you went inside.

The original design had called for more interaction between on-map objects (handles and things on tables etc.), but in the end we were able to add so little to the landscape that it was wasn't possible to add things to interact with, so in fact there's very little you can do other than talk and fight. For similiar reasons, all fighting takes place on one of a set of small pre-defined combat maps, as we didin't have the RAM to instantiate fights in the main game maps. You had to do some creative work-arounds for RPGs in those days

The video that came with the game actually had very little to do with the game itself - the style was completely different, and made little reference to the plot of the game. It was filmed in Australia by a friend of the publishers pet dog or something, not by the game development team.

A lot of the PC characters in the game were digitised faces of the development team, that were then touched up. The one in the screenshots on this site is the ugly mug of Nigel Kershaw, the game's senior designer.

Over the development time, the development team for Imagitec came and went, but the key players as far as I can remember were: Senior Coder - Lee Garnett, Design - Nigel Kershaw and Martin something, Graphics - Jules "Jolly" Holtom, Colin Jackson, Steve Lodge and some other people, Music probaby by Barry something or other. Heh, it WAS 20 years ago.

Cheers
Colin Jackson

Old 07-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
xtxlx
Lurker

If I remember this game right, you can get skill books from the open market near the main gate. Your party can be pretty much maxed out skillwise before you leave the first city. The "buy sword, enchant sword, sell sword, repeat" method works for getting enough cash to do it.

I know I remember that videotape that came with the game. Could someone repost the video file, I'd love to see it again.
xtxlx is offline                         Send a private message to xtxlx
Old 12-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #15

I loved this game as well. In hindsight it was quite incomplete, with around half the skills being unimplemented, such as Townlore, Search, Polearms, etc.

The character with the most magick, that is, best suited for enchanting, is TwoEdge, which I believe you find in Dryleaf. But I don't really know why anyone would play this game, considering how broken it is. The real value of it is in the manual and the midi music.

I actually located the music designer and emailed him to see if he still had the music, but he could barely remember the game let alone have the midi files, so playing this game and leaving it on the title splash will have to do!

Old 14-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #16

Believe it or not, I still play this game from time to time. I am even debating making some maps of all the towns.

Old 15-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #17
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You make them - we publish them as extras
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 17-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
You make them - we publish them as extras
I finished maps of Burpe and Garnette, which are the two smallest towns. It's a work in progress. How can I upload the images to you on here?

Old 17-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Usually the staff would send you a private message with upload details for the incoming server. Maybe if you put them on dropbox or mediafire?

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 18-02-2016, 02:49 AM   #20
No Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Usually the staff would send you a private message with upload details for the incoming server. Maybe if you put them on dropbox or mediafire?
I figured I would register since I'm going to do this project.
No Average Joe is offline                         Send a private message to No Average Joe