Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Muncher69

Does anybody remember a game for the spectrum game called "How To Be A Complete Basterd" i remeber playing it when i was younger on my very powerfull spectrum 128k with builtin tape deck....LOL they were the days 20min loading times might also of been on the comadore 64 cant remember that far back...all i remeber about the game was you could go round peeing on people and stuff turn yourself into sombodys washing machine and well bounce off....done really remember anything else about it.....Does anybody else remember it??? or even better where to get it from??
Muncher69 is offline                         Send a private message to Muncher69
Old 16-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I remember playing the game on Commodore (but it's possible it was made for both machines).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-02-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Mardi-Gras
Forum hobbit

The game was, if memory serves, based on a Rik Mayal character (the lad from 'Bottom', 'The Young Ones' and various other comedies). I think it may also have been a book. I remember the game fondly.

I also remember having to sit with a screwdriver embedded in the tape-head of my spectrum, trying to load games by ear by applying tentative pressure in various directions and listening to the sounds it made. ("dah-DIT!"... nope, not quite e-sharp... "dah-diDDley-dit"... perfection...)

I can recall lying on the floor, screwdriver in hand, not daring to breathe for the forty minutes it took to load Daley Thompson's Decathalon, and my mum coing in and saying over and over, "Are you okay?" Course I couldn't answer. The vibration of talking would've altered the pressure of the screwdriver.

Taught me patience and gave me a musical ear. It also gave me pressure sores all down my left hand side. I'm also very good at staying reaaally still for long periods.

Kids now-a-days: a browser takes more than a nanosecond to load a page, and off they go in a screaming tizzy-fit. I'm happy if a game takes less than twenty minutes to load nowaday. Just so long as I don't have to stab my computer with a screwdriver, I'm happy.

Hmm. I've gone a little . Sorry 'bout that.
Mardi-Gras is offline                         Send a private message to Mardi-Gras
Old 17-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
JJXB
Pi-voh

i think the game would have been based on "the new statesman" (because mayall's character was a complete b@stard)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 17-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Mardi-Gras
Forum hobbit

Might've been, but I seem to recall the game preceding the series "The New Statesman" by quite a few years. Maybe the game inspired the series? Or perhaps it was a happy coincidence. (Or alternatively, I might've gotten confused between the game and the series "The New Statesman". Though I'm pretty positive I haven't).
Mardi-Gras is offline                         Send a private message to Mardi-Gras
Old 17-02-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Nope, the game really is older. And I don't think they have much in common except that they are both bastards.

BTW - anyone played the game :"Yes prime minister"?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Muncher69

Really cant remember how old the game was all i remeber was i was on my brothers spetrum and i was about 5 when i first played it coz my mum find my on it and kicked the living S**t out of me...LOL....Im 22 now so were talking 16 maybe 17 years ago.. Manic Miner Classic spekie game..
Muncher69 is offline                         Send a private message to Muncher69
Old 26-02-2005, 11:58 PM   #8
Power_13

I remember borrowing a stack of Speccy games from an old schoolfriend, and this was one of them

Regarding the Rik Mayall thing...are you sure you don't mean Rik's Bottom sidekick Ade Edmonson? He's the guy on the cassette inlay cover...albiet back in the days when he had a little more hair
and shake the life away.
Human life is not a commodity,
figures, statistics, or make believe."</td></tr></table><div class='signature'>
Power_13 is offline                         Send a private message to Power_13
Old 27-02-2005, 02:46 AM   #9
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Mardi-Gras@Feb 17 2005, 04:32 PM
Might've been, but I seem to recall the game preceding the series "The New Statesman" by quite a few years. Maybe the game inspired the series? Or perhaps it was a happy coincidence. (Or alternatively, I might've gotten confused between the game and the series "The New Statesman". Though I'm pretty positive I haven't).
or perhaps it could be because Rik Mayall's made a career out of playing the one same character, imaginatively called Rick...

Not that I'm against Rik - The Young Ones is great. Can't stand Bottom though. ewwww.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 27-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
hanging
Forum hobbit

Send a message via MSN to hanging

Quote:
Originally posted by Muncher69@Feb 16 2005, 03:57 PM
or even better where to get it from??
Get it there....
hanging is offline                         Send a private message to hanging