Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Default Space Rogue

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Download and review (if available)

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Saccade
[BANNED]

This game is going straight into my favorites.

When I first played this game, I was still into Elite, so I never got that far in it.
Years later, I dug it out and was everjoyed that there was something to do at the stations and being able to play the arcade games.

Reminds me of MicroProse games where they put two or three types of game in one - all part of the bigger picture.

Origin did some fantastic games before they fizzled out.

The storyline is great and the space-flight sim is cool, too.
Trying to navigate nebulae and wormholes was soo tricky, even slowly, but it was amazingly satisfying to finally do it at full speed.

Since Elite and Elite2: Frontier (when it gets put up) get 5's from me, I think that this game gets a 5.5 for having all the other elements.

It's a real shame that more space-flight sims aren't around that have an RPG element and free-roam these days.
I guess that there aren't enough buttons on a console to play them properly though...

*wistful sigh - they don't make em like they used to...
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
It's a real shame that more space-flight sims aren't around that have an RPG element and free-roam these days.
Yeah, that's true. Space Rogue is a very decent mix of Space-Sim and RPG genres. While updating the game, I asked myself several times, if I should categorize it as RPG or as Sim, as it has lots of elements from both genres.
I went for Sim at the end, as other games like Elite can also be found there.
However, it could have been RPG as well. It's almost two games in one, as you've said.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 10-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
HailToNietzsche
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yeah, that's true. Space Rogue is a very decent mix of Space-Sim and RPG genres. While updating the game, I asked myself several times, if I should categorize it as RPG or as Sim, as it has lots of elements from both genres.
I went for Sim at the end, as other games like Elite can also be found there.
However, it could have been RPG as well. It's almost two games in one, as you've said.
I watched a friend of mine playing and enjoying "Elite" these days but my first personal experience with that kind of game was "Privateer". I enjoyed playing it and it's follow-up/add-on "Righteous Fire" very much.

Back to the roots now. Let's try "Space Rogue". Thanks to Vanshilar!
HailToNietzsche is offline                         Send a private message to HailToNietzsche
Old 15-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

This game has always been one of my favorites.

I think it was made before the different classes of games (i.e. real time strategy, role playing game, first-person shooter, simulation, etc.) were clearly defined, and thus it has elements of different classes. Nowadays, I think most games are made with one category in mind, hence they tend to be "pure" one type or another.

By the way, although it's not specifically mentioned in the maps, I hope it's obvious that special items on bases are marked with a sort of "O" with a + inside it, and the guy with the "R" indicates a randomly appearing character (Flitch, Ichiki, Kale, Robocrook, Somar Tan, Toom, or Veda). Also, the characters are placed based on their starting locations, although they wander around.

Hope everyone enjoys!
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
CLBrown
Thumbs up My first PC game... and a great way to start!

For quite a few years I used the fully-tricked-out TI-99/4A system I'd gotten in high school (really pretty good, for the time, if you had all the components). I kept holding back from getting a PC-type computer, because I just wasn't impressed enough.

"Space Rogue" just looked so cool to me that I went ahead and bought it anyway. I had no choice but to play it at work, of course... (after hours, obviously!) But this was the game that first got me into PCs...

The funny thing is, I still have it on my machine (running in DOSBox) and still have the entire package on the shelf next to the other games that I have that remain in my "favorites" stack.

Undeniably, one of the most satisfying games I've ever played. Given the (by today's standards) extremely limited technology in the game, it just proves that it's not the resources available that makes for a good game, it's the thought behind it. And back when technology was less advanced, game-makers had to actually WORK to come up with something impressive and fun... like, say, actual fun gameplay and interesting plotting.

I'd love to see "Space Rogue" remade with modern technology... but the same basic gameplay, open world, and plot.

Seriously, guys, GET THIS ONE. It'll eat up your spare time... but it's worth it!

Old 19-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
humorguy
Super Freak

Surely some of the games that matches this to some extent or another are as follows:

Starflight 2, Ironseed, Reunion, Alien Legacy, Starflight and Sentinel Worlds.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 20-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by humorguy View Post
Surely some of the games that matches this to some extent or another are as follows:

Starflight 2, Ironseed, Reunion, Alien Legacy, Starflight and Sentinel Worlds.
I've added some of those