Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
GBAuraDOS

Default Looking For the Names of Some Old PC Games

UPDATE: Sequel to the other thread is under this name: Looking For Some Old PC Games: Part 2

A long time ago, when I was about 7, there was a place in a Psychiatrists Building and you can rent stuff like books, videos and PC games. I went to there quite a few times (I had to go to the building since I had appointments to help me speak words correctly due to a disorder I had) and often drop by to place borrow things. One of the things I remembered the most was a old arts and crafts book where you can make things, but I borrowed it for the mind creativity and the pictures, since a lot of kids in my experiences don't mainly read books for the story, only the illustrations. I'm sure we all had that same thought but I'm not talking about that, I'm here for the game so let's get moving.

Sometimes, I rented a CD that contains a whole bunch of little games (about 100 since most of the disks like this hold up to that much). I don't recall too much from the disk itself, but it is pink and clear (when I mean clear, I meant the blank CD color), with a computer board for the ground, a spaceship shooting, and a T-rex on it.

Later, when I tried to find it, I discovered that those games on the disk are actually shareware and this is the first time I actually experienced such a format. You all know what shareware is, a program that you can use to get an idea on what it is about and if you want to fully experience, you need to buy a license.

I found some of the games I played on the disk but me trying to find what the disk name is painful, then I found out that the disk doesn't contain Shareware/Shareware games but Shareware/DOS games. This is probably why I had a hard time finding these games earlier. Here’s some games that I remember from that disk:

Microman: Crazy Computers
Skunny: Back to the Forest
Rachel’s Fashion Dolls
Snarf
Tetris
Sapiens (Still supported to this day)
Yogi Bear’s Math Adventure
A Snake Simulator games (you place food and the snakes come and eat them, and yes, the Snakes behave the same way as any normal Snake game)
Pinball Game (forgot what it’s called, but the graphics are mainly blue, red and gray. Not the plain DOS graphics, they are detailed but a bit bland to look at)
A strange math educational game starring a blue, female, humanoid box thing with hair, a yellow cap and red lips.

BONUS QUESTION: There was a DOS game that I played at the grandmother's place but all I remember is that there is a 3D frog and when you click on it, it reveals two round, humanoid things (like Rayman for the floating hands and feet, and round like the Lose your Marbles guy). However, the game sorta booted me quickly as it showed the credit sequence with the two round things walking towards the screen, waving goodbye. And yes, I'll drawing the images sometime.

Last edited by GBAuraDOS; 19-02-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Updated the Bonus bit and the update notice.
GBAuraDOS is offline                         Send a private message to GBAuraDOS
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

It may be something from Walnut Creek CDROM company.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

You can find -(a very small amount, there were thousands of those things)- of shareware CDs @
http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

Shareware Cd archive
http://www.archive.org/details/cdbbsarchive

And so on and on...

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 12-02-2012 at 08:06 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I think you stand a greater chance of finding the individual games themselves, rather than the specific disk you got them from back then. There are quite a few sites dedicated to DOS shareware games, like Demu.org, dosgames.com, dosgamesarchive.com, or RGB Classic Games. All of them offer easy browsing of content by genre, distribution type, etc., and have screenshots fro you to quickly check if the game looks like what you remember There are several more sites, I've made a little list here.
Old 19-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
GBAuraDOS

Update: Ack, I found out the post to the thread I made did get through, but you can look at both threads and the post I made if you want to help me in either way, sorry about the confusion I did, I need to get used to that Abandonia can delay certain actions at times.

I really like the help I was getting but I'll look into the games list a bit further, but for now, let's get into that one game that haunted me for years. (I'll also update the my first post regarding the bonus question.)

On the Amiga forums, I asked people about this but they don't understand what I was talking about since it didn't explain things very well (which is my fault), but I find it easier to show you the image on what I remember from the game the most, the credits sequence.

Here's the link to the image if you want to figure out where it came from (it's a bit large for the post so I won't show it on the forum):

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...dhoodimage.jpg

I also remember the title sequence but not as much as the credits, if any of you want me to recreate the image from memory, let me know. I also apologize for my bad drawing in that image (I had to settle with the round hands since I hate drawing humans and their hands due to their complexity), it's hard to remember things you played years ago and your brain distorts the image at a great length.

Last edited by GBAuraDOS; 19-02-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Updated it
GBAuraDOS is offline                         Send a private message to GBAuraDOS
Old 19-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
GBAuraDOS

Default Looking For Some Old PC Games: Part 2

I tried to add another post to the other thread I made but for some reason, my post didn't show up at all, so I decided to start a new one. The original thread is under the name 'Looking For the Names of Some Old PC Games' if you want to help me with the shareware disk compilation and the two DOS games (which is under the bonus question part but I'll update it).

The part that I remember about the game the most was the credits sequence; as I stated at the Amiga boards, it had some of the best music I ever heard and I want to hear it again. But that part is the part I remember the most, I do remember the title sequence a bit but not as well as the other one. During the credits part, the animation is shown below, while the credits part above it appears and disappears. I apologize if the image doesn't look all that great since your mind tends to distort the pictures in your head as you grow older.

Here's the image (I'm not going to show it instantly on the board since the picture is a bit big.):

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...dhoodimage.jpg

And yes, I can visualize in colour since I mostly remember the colour of the parrot and the mouse.
Old 20-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Threads merged. If you are not seeing your posts after you make them you could be having caching issues.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27331

Check this thread for a possible solution.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 28-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
GBAuraDOS

Default Please, Need Help For Looking That One Game

Not again. DarthHelmet86, I'm really sorry for causing ruckus on the forum, I thought that I would handle the problem with the threads merging but I made it worse. Please forgive me but it's all my fault, I didn't know that would happen again. I'll stop posting in The Gaming Zone.

Last edited by GBAuraDOS; 28-02-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Changed the Entire Post Since Threads Merged