Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Im New to this site and notice that alot of games are not for download because of ESA protection. But when I look through the topics of a ESA protected game I notice earlier post talking about people downloading the game.

So I was interested to know what, why and when happened with the ESA and this site.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #2
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

ESA is organisation supported by some of game makers / publishers. Their main goal is to protect intelectual property of those companies.

I can't recal exact day ESA contacted us about protected games, but it was like 3-4 months ago.

Our admins are doing all they can to contact game makers / developers to get required persmision to post game and downloads for the games that they don't sell any more.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 01-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Sep 1 2005, 02:50 AM
I can't recal exact day ESA contacted us about protected games, but it was like 3-4 months ago.
11 May.

Here's the original thread about it if you're interested: http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5252
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 01-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Thanks for the info guys and the link to the thread k:

You still have some great games Really the only title Im kicking myself for not finding you sight sooner is Ultima Underworld man I use to love that game.

Back on topic I wish you all the best luck in contacting game developers to get the required permissions to keep some of these classic gems alive and well.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 03-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

It was a horrible day for Abandonia...

But we got over it and started to upload games that arent ESA protected.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 07-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
@cehole

How can you find out if a game is ESA protected is there a list somewhere?
@cehole is offline                         Send a private message to @cehole
Old 07-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by @cehole@Sep 7 2005, 12:45 PM
How can you find out if a game is ESA protected is there a list somewhere?
Sort of. Tom and Timpsi are working hard on compiling The List, but it's still work in progress.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There's a sticky in the Requests section with a list of ESA member companies - if any of them are involved in the game publishing or development it's protected. It's a bit hard to track sometimes, because an ESA company may have bought the rights to the game when they took over its developer/publisher.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 10-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
OSH

I can't understand, why so f.. organisation like ESA protect programs, they more than 10 years old are?! Who buy so old programs?! And why ESA want to block download these games?! Maybe will ESA to protect the programs for C-64 or ZX-Spectrum?!
OSH is offline                         Send a private message to OSH
Old 10-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No ESA-bashing, please. They're only doing their job. Their job isn't to make your life miserable by withholding games from you. In fact they're hired by the companies that own the rights to those games. Remember, it isn't as if it's your right to get games for free just because they're old.
Closed Thread