Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
PixelPolish

Default [Amayirot Akago] Esoteria

Hey guys,

I have some vague, but very positive memories of a game from a 1996-1999 era, but for the life of me I can't recall the title.

All I can clearly remember that it was almost a blatant clone of MDK, the guy (I think) was drawn using almost the same technique, wearing a grey/metallic skintight suit with (possibly) blades on his forearms (something like the Batman spikes). If I remember correctly, his main weapon was something of a Tron disc that he was throwing. I think his secondary/CQC attack was a 360 spin where he used his forearm-mounted blades to deal damage. I have only played the demo for this game, circa 1998/9, but I think the levels were very open and not linear like MDK, with some objectives to complete. The demo level(s) took place on some planet and everything looked very sci-fi/cyberpink-ish, with tons of exploration. The world was 3D, maybe even enemies, but the main character was a very nice looking sprite - hence the MDK comparison. I might have spent up to a dozen hours in the demo itself, because of it's open-ended nature.

This is all I can really remember. The demo disc the game was on was not mine, so browsing through my late 90's demos also didn't shed a light on this. I really need to find this game - demo at least. Thanks in advance for all your help!

https://www.youtube.com/PixelPolishTV
PixelPolish is offline                         Send a private message to PixelPolish
Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Amayirot Akago
Hiya, dollface.

Sounds like Esoteria.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...-of-the-future
Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
PixelPolish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amayirot Akago View Post
Yesss! Thank you so much!

One would think it would be easy to find it using the keywords that I was using while Googling for it over the years, but nope. Also it didn't help that I have forgotten the title to the point that even seeing it didn't ring a bell. Thanks again

PixelPolish is offline                         Send a private message to PixelPolish
Old 06-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Note that to get the game to run on more recent systems - well, that's subjective, that problem certainly dates back to Windows XP at least - you may need to disable graphics acceleration.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
PixelPolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Note that to get the game to run on more recent systems - well, that's subjective, that problem certainly dates back to Windows XP at least - you may need to disable graphics acceleration.
Thanks, already figured that out earlier today I'm playing on a dedicated "old" system (not old enough, but old enough for full Win98SE experience) and this week I'll put a 3Dfx VooDoo 3 in it, so hopefully that will get rid of the problem. Apparently even though Glide was somehow ommited in the full release, you can just use 3dfx executable from the demo and it rocks the VooDoo support