Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #321
legolas558

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by SirPeter@Mar 29 2006, 03:37 PM
Legolas maybe make a new thread in the programming subforum about the Mod on ascendancy. Maybe ppl are interested in joining this project
I opened such thread, 0 replies so far

Edit: The link
legolas558 is offline                         Send a private message to legolas558
Old 23-04-2006, 04:42 AM   #322
Old Woman

Starting Ascendancy

I love big games, very big, so I use Antagonizer and always set Ascendancy on: Very dense star cluster - Seven species - Neutral atmosphere. And now the female touch! You don't win with power or theft, try agility and speed for a change. My choice are always the Chronomyst and they have never disappointed me yet.

Every time you start a new game you play in a hole new universe. You get a home planet in a star system with between one and five planets. You need beside your home planet at least two huge planets and preferably one large planet none of them with only black squares, such a Husk planet is almost unusable for the Chronomyst. If the fourth or fifth planet is a Husk planet with an argeological dig that is great, an normal planet with such a dig is even better and Cornucopia planets are of course the best. An argeological dig early in the game gives an enormous advantage and on a Cornucopia planet you can build twice as fast as on a white planet.

If you start in a star system with only your medium home planet just start over again and again until you get a star system with at least your home planet and 2 huge and 1 medium or large planets.

Have fun.

Old 23-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #323
Old Woman

Starships

You can't build as many starships as you want, the rules are:

For the star system with your home planet you are allowed 2 ships, even when you are not the absolute ruler, meaning one of the planets in your home system is occupied by an other race, you still have the right to build two ships.
For every star system where you are the absolute ruler, meaning only you occupy one ore more planets in that system, you are allowed to build an extra spaceship.
For star systems that are occupied by two or more races, nobody is allowed an extra ship. To know the number of ships you still can build, you count the star systems where you're the only ruler, or you klick on the word ship on the right of the main screen, on top of the new screen the game tells you how many ships you have and how many you still can to build.

So, if you have your home star system, 1 star system where you occupy three planets, 1 star systems where you occupy 1 planet, 1 star system where you occupy planet 4 and another race occupies planet 1, you are allowed to build 4 starships, as follows:

Home star system - 2 ships
star system with 3 occupied planets - 1 ship
1 star systems with 1 planet - 1 ships
1 shared star system - 0 ships
for a total of 4 ships

Strategic thinking !!!!

If in the above example you have four ships and another race invades one of your normal star systems and don't attack your planet but occupies another planet, you suddenly have one ship to many and if you can't take that planet in the same turn, Ascendancy shall remove your oldest ship from the game, and that can be very costly. You can use this strategy against the other races. And remember, if necessary build only in the beginning all the ships you are allowed and occupy some new star systems as soon as possible.

Have fun.

Old 24-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #324
AllianceWeb

Hello,
I'd just like to submit some cheat codes I have on my site:
Ascendancy cheat codes

Enjoy.

Old 25-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #325
legolas558

Red face

Thank you!

I have added your page to Trascendancy Project Links page

I hope there's no problem for that
legolas558 is offline                         Send a private message to legolas558
Old 26-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #326

this game has been giving me trouble in one regard: The mouse is screwy. it moves really slowly and and sloppily (though not in the config screens so it's just the app). I'd appreciate it... do you think another mouse (I've only tried USB) would work, or do I have to rewrite some code? I'm still going to try a ps2 and a serial mouse, though. thanks!

Old 26-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #327
legolas558

try incrementing cycles using Ctrl+F12 (if you are using DOSbox)
Old 26-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #328
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

I just started playing again this time with the Antag patch :blink: Man does it make the AI more agressive. I played the normal game quite a bit and owned with pretty much any race so I decided on a average galaxy in ANTAG with a Hostile atmosphere 7 species. In short order I had 5 species all at war with me and was losing colonies very early on. The AI also builds orbital defense very early on now, which makes invasion nearly impossible until you get some decent weapons tech that can outrange the orbital missile platforms.

Adds some new dimensions to a game I already had fun with

I havent bothered with the maintenance patch yet though. Anyone know exactly what that does and if you can run it with the antag patch? It says you have to type -ascend/patch to run the patch version, but to run anatg you must type ascend/antag?

Is the antag version already patched?

ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 26-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #329
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Taskmaster@Nov 9 2005, 09:12 PM
The thing I disliked in Ascendancy, beside the poor AI, is the 2/3 of the galaxy rule, or whatever it is. You are kicking behind and taking names, and then because you colonize one too many planets, suddenly the game is over and you've won. I want to be able to make use of that new planet and go on to anhiliate the rest!

:Titan:
There is a way around the 2/3 rule in a sense. The rule only applies to 2/3 of the galaxy if it is a connected empire. If you allow the enemy to keep a few junk worlds in the middle of your empire it breaks up your 2/3 empire and you can go on to conquere many more planets then normal.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 27-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #330
laiocfar
NOD Commander

If you control 1/3 of the galaxy or less the fight is over and lucky when you got 2/3 it ends.