Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-03-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
MadBeastMike

Lets just say im playing this game, right? and every time i try to open it it says, CANNOT BE PLAYED IN WINDOWS. I don't know why, it doesn't work in DOSBOX either, and VDMSound cant work on ME. (can't log in as administrator). Ok, lets just put it this way, every bad thing imaginable in windows has happened, and I can only resort to running it in a bootdisk. I did all that, but the game wont run without sound. I did the whole sound blaster emulation thing and that didnt work (even put the files in the dosdrv folder and whatnot), and the bootdisk wouldnt work the sound, and I really want to know what I would have to do for the sound. Oh yeah, i think the only soundcard I have is an ALi something DMX, i dunno. So does anyone have an idea of what I should do? (I dont have the sound card CD either). Please help me in this NON-MAD BEAST SITUATION.

PS on some of the other program installations i use on the bootdisk, when i try to use various different soundcard, it usually says 'cant find FM CHIP'
MadBeastMike is offline                         Send a private message to MadBeastMike
Old 16-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

First, which program are you trying to run?
Old 16-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Read the sticky thread on most common problems - the solution might be there.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #4

Welll my sound driver is ALi Audio Accelerator WDM Driver,

I think my speakers are fried now uggh my laptop is a lil messed up if i havent told you, so maybe theres a way i could trick it into thinking i had sound blasters, or actually getting sound blaster sounds to emulate, and VDMSound wont work on this computer (not NT) . Is there a way i could maybe emulate it through dos? Im prolly not gonna be motivated to get the two games to work anymore (I have about 10 DOS games on this computer, 8 of them work but have no sound) but I still kiind of want sound.

The following things ive tried
  • VDMSound
  • DosBox which doesnt really work well (Did I mention my computer sucks)
  • Then I made a bootdisk from myself
  • I tried using the abandonia bootdisk (which the mouse woked, but the sound didnt)
  • I tried finding a manual for my sound card but couldn't cause I don't have a manual
  • I tried finding maybe a 'driver' for my sound card, but thats dumb cause I know nothing about 'drivers'
If you're wondering why my computer is so bad, its because I spilled juice on my own a couple of days ago, so I have to use my brothers which is sort of old... so im just sort of looking for help

Old 16-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #5

I made a big reply as a guest by accident and it got erased

anyways, the problem is when i load the SB16 configuration utility in DOS, it says PCI Device Detect failed; device not found.

Do I have to have a new version of soundblaster or something?

(IT keeps saying authorization mismatch so i cant log in!!!!)

Old 17-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, there is probably a good reason why your fried computer don't work, and that would be because it's fried. :whistle:

For your other computer... Do you actually have a soundcard installed in the computer? If it's so old maybe there is not even one.
Old 17-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

For drivers, register on www.driverguide.com.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
MadBeastMike

Yea Im registered, but the problem is I don't know how to use drivers or how to make them load on DOS... I couldnt really finda guide... do i have to like put it in autoexec or something? and how would I know that it would load right in DOS?
MadBeastMike is offline                         Send a private message to MadBeastMike
Old 18-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You should find the answers to this question in the quoted part of this thread.
Old 19-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #10
MadBeastMike

Yea... I kind of feel like an idiot here but I dont really understand all of that... maybe I need a guide where I can get the whole picture or somethin i dunno...