Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is manowar the ultimate metal band in the known universe ?
Yes, of course 5 9.62%
Yes, but barely 0 0%
No, not since they dumped Ross the Boss 2 3.85%
No, but keep up the good work 8 15.38%
No way, they are a bunch of loosers 18 34.62%
Manowar ? 19 36.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Smile

Hail there metal warriors !

Just a little in depth poll to seperate the boys from the men. I'll be the first to vote on my own poll, and i'll proudly vote yes, of course. I really dig Manowar and i know that they usually don't generate mild reactions. So go ahead, love them, or fight them, but give it your best shot. And remember :

We fight to the death
To the last man
To the last breath !

:Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan:
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
omg
Games Master

real men listen to death. not man o war.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 03-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Flop
Hero Gamer

I voted yes. Manowar rocks! k:
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 03-07-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
lethe
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethe
I find Manowar truly disgusting. Their lyrics are dull, some mix of slanged hair metal with bitter attitude, which is one they stand at all times. Both "Warriors Of The World" and their other album I heard (can't remember the name, something from 91/92) failed to get my attention musically too. I believe they might sound good live, they have the beat after all (and metal concerts scarce around here, so anything is a go) whistling.gif but I wouldn't look too much further into them.
To prove my words, I'll just make you take a look at the topic description: Instead of putting a k: , , , you placed a :angry: That kind of attitude is the same of Manowar, and I can't really appreciate badass metal, as is pointless, and most of them won't do jack of what they say they would.
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 03-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Relax, lethe, Manowar are a joke and were even MEANT to be one. LOL "Ross the Boss" who FOUNDED the band was (and now is again) the guitaruist of "The Dictators", a NY-punkband that started at about the same time the Ramones did´, and just like the Dictators were making fun of the whole (american) punkrock-scene - including themselves - that quickly evolved ("Master Race Rock", "Two Tub Man" to name but two titles), Manowar was nothing but a sarcastical comment on the NWOBHM, full of cliches. Surprisingly, the first two albums were perceived very well. Since Ross the Boss left the band, however, I'm not so sure about the satircal elements anymore...

@ topic: How about Judas Priest? Accept? Entombed? Amon Amarth? Hell, I could name a few dozen others, and I don't even LISTEN to that much "Metal".
I mean, Manowar HAVE HAD their moments, but almost anything after "Kings of Metal" was utter crap... "Warriors of the World United"... LOL You DO know that the success of that single was largely based on the fact that Manowar did a gig on a german COMEDY-show, do you? LOL
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 03-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by lethe@Jul 3 2005, 02:31 PM
and I can't really appreciate badass metal, as is pointless, and most of them won't do jack of what they say they would.
As I already said, I like them. I'm curious about what you mean by saying that "badass metal" is pointless, though. What excactly is the point of music, in your opinion?

And you're probably right in saying that Manowar would never do anything of what they say they will, but as Chuck pointed out, you're not supposed to take it seriously. And how many bands actually go out and do what they sing about? (okay, I guess lyrics like "I'm gonna make love to you all night" and the like, are not too difficult to follow through on )
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 03-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
omg
Games Master

count grishnak used to burn churches. loads of mortiss's band have actually done time for church burning.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hehey my Graphics teacher did a Judas Priest LP cover. It's the one with a gothic knight and a young woman on it.

By Paul Monteagle if you want to look it up.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 03-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

well Manowar are the best of the "true metal" genre that i know off but other than i don´t know (i really do like them !!!)

HAIL from Denmark

i voted the first option.

chuckie:

We have different opinons , but is that not great ?

and i have never experienced another band sing so much about Vikings and i would say they are very melodic , instead of Metallicas trash metal (yeah i don´t see them as heavy metal) and especially not after "The Black Album"

anyway i like them.

Quote:
Originally posted by omg@Jul 3 2005, 04:26 PM
count grishnak used to burn churches. loads of mortiss's band have actually done time for church burning.
well just look at some of the norwegian dark(or is it doom ?) metal bands.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
omg
Games Master

yup. is why i respect that genre. at least they have actually done some of the things that they sing about.
im not saying church burning is cool. im just saying at least they are honest with there nasty man images.
out of the whole metal thang my faves are death tho who are swedish? i think..
they just talk about life after a nuculear war a lot (ie: all the way through the spirtual healing album) now that album is proper.

although for the record i get annoyed when people start drawing distinctions in metal
ie:
death metal
thrash metal
speed metal
grind metal
doom core metal
darkwave metal
industrial metal
LOL nu metal LOL

compared to that lot any band playing *heavy metal* sound pretty lame.

also quite often the terms are just used to sell bands becuse at the end of the day any band is going to get bored just playing one style all the time. even death have done kiss covers live. (just with there vocal style)