Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
jonahjuice

Default .exe problem

Hey, I just found this awesome site and now I am running into a problem.

I can load 1869 fine with dosbox but two other games I tried wont load. (shadow president and alter ego).

I've got the folders mounted fine, just like I did with 1869. But no matter what command I try the other games wont load. What am I doing wrong?

I always did have a problem with DOS when I was younger haha

Thanks for you help.
jonahjuice is offline                         Send a private message to jonahjuice
Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Are you getting any error messages?
What precise commands are you entering?
Where exactly are the games on your HDD?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I am guessing that our friend followed our tutorial to the letter, but then don't understand how come the other games don't work without adapting the tutorial to other games...

More informations are required before we can help you more, buddy. What exactly did you do already?
Old 13-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
jonahjuice

I did follow the tutorial, thats why I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm doing wrong.

I have dosbox going to c:\ at the start up. Then I type cd shadow. It then goes to c:\shadow>

But when I type, SHADOW or shadow.exe it says "illegal command". I must be missing a step.

When I type "1869" after going to that directory the game starts right up.

The games are in a folder named "CDrive".

Thank you for helping me.

Juice
jonahjuice is offline                         Send a private message to jonahjuice
Old 13-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, I never follow tutorials. The first reason why I don't is because if you don't understand what you are doing yourself then you will never get it and then are stuck doing what everybody tell you do it instead of fixing it yourself.

I'm going to give you the basics of DOSBox. The experience you got following the tutorial should do the rest and help you a great deal to understand what you need to do for the other games.

At first when you start DOSBox, you get a Z:\ prompt instead of a normal DOS C:\ prompt. You then need to mount whatever directory you want as your virtual C:\ drive.

I think that the tutorial teach you to go edit your autoexec section in DOSBox init file so you can set up the right directory automatically. That's not exactly the best way to do this. The best way would be to create a special directory in your real C:\ drive, like "c:\oldgames" for example, and then copy all the games you want to play with DOSBox in that directory. Then, if you add lines in your autoexec part in the DOSBox init file, it should load up c:\oldgames as your virtual C:\ drive, so you can access all your games from the same starting point.

When it is done, it the simple matter of entering the right directory for the right game (either look thru Windows to know before hand, or use the dir or dir/w or dir/p command to list all files and directory) and find the right file to start the game (usually ends with .exe or .bat or .com).

Hope that helps! If you still have questions, don't hesitate to come back and ask around for answers.
Old 13-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

jonahjuice, after you go CD shadow and it leads you to c:>\shadow type dir and it will show you what filse are in the directroy.

it's very possible that there's another shadow directory located in it.. have you even checked it what's in it?
Old 13-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
But when I type, SHADOW or shadow.exe it says "illegal command". I must be missing a step.
That error means there is no such executable at this location.
Enter the game directory, then run the following three commands:
dir *.exe
dir *.com
dir *.bat

If they returned any file names, try entering these as the executables to run.
If no filenames were returned, enter
dir

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
jonahjuice

I would like to tell everyone thank you. To help such a newbie like myself so quickly and thoroughly is awesome of you.

I figured out what was wrong, I'm almost embarrassed to say. After the horseman told me how to check what files were in there (typing, dir .exe, dir .com ect) it showed there were none at all, but I knew there were because I tried running the program in XP. Then I realized it was a folder named shadow inside anthoer folder names shadow. doh!

Thanks again! You will prolly see me around the forums. I'm a big retro console and arcade gamer. I just learned about these cool retro computer games.

Now I'm off to see if I can get this game to work in dosbox, a lot of people said they were having issues with it not running good.