Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Given that the sticky is barely ever updated nowadays, it's obvious that the system needs improvement. As someone said on the shoutbox yesterday, you don't really know whether anyone is working on reviewing a game or not.

My suggestion is to create a new forum under Abandonia.com cathegory, specially meant as a sort of notice board for reviewers. If a person starts working on a review, they would simply post a new topic with the game name as the title, therefore making it immediately clear that this review has already been claimed.
When they finish writing a review, they would just post a reply to their original thread informing of that. Informing of standing down from reviewing the game would be handled the same way.

That solution would not require a single individual to keep track of all claimed reviews, and any change in review status would be immediately known.

Such a forum should be _viewable_ for all registered users, but - for obvious reasons, spammers included - in order to post there a regular user would require a special permission (just creating a "reviewer" user group with posting permissions there would do the job). Moderators/VIP/etc would automatically have posting capability there.

So, do you think such a change would be a good thing?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Data
retired

in the light of the increasing user partipation with the site, such a place might be useful.
Not sure if it would need a extra usergroup. A very strict moderator would probably do as well and that would invite more people to post there.

Old 20-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

But you'd still need a central list so people could see what games are available for reviewing, right?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 20-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The way I see it, Requests forum more or less serves that purpose (at least when I manage to get all the [APPROVED] [ON SITE] etc tags right it will).

The current list can be carried over as a sticky in the new forum without any problem.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

good idea!
Old 20-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Is there a list somewhere of games people are willing to submit that are abandonware? Would your new list include all games that the site already has but are not being reviewed?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 20-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geezer @ Feb 20 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]280226[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is there a list somewhere of games people are willing to submit that are abandonware?
[/b]
There are several such lists (ones I recall were posted by myself, Titan and Mighty Migdet).

Quote:
Would your new list include all games that the site already has but are not being reviewed?[/b]
The current "Games that need reviews" list has that, at least as far as I know. It would be carried over as a sticky for future reference, but would change in its purpose - it would only store a list of games that are uploaded but not reviewed, rather than also track reviews currently in progress.

Additionally, this way of expanding the system would reduce incidents where the updaters lack the information on who reviewed the game: if they don't know, they can just look up the appropriate thread title.

-- Reed Richards
Old 22-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Feb 20 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]280163[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Such a forum should be _viewable_ for all registered users, but - for obvious reasons, spammers included - in order to post there a regular user would require a special permission (just creating a "reviewer" user group with posting permissions there would do the job). Moderators/VIP/etc would automatically have posting capability there.[/b]
Would that work like in a domain with Active Directory and all? Like:
User A may view Data 1,2 and 3. B may view 1 and 2 and change them but doesn't see 3? (very abstract, sorry, but I'd like to know for further reasons)
Quote:
Originally posted by THREAD TOPIC
An Idea To Replace The "games That Need Reviews" Sticky
Haven't you asked this particular question before, 5th horseman? Or is that - once more - just me...?

EDIT: I voted 'yes' a few days ago.
Old 22-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Would that work like in a domain with Active Directory and all? Like:
User A may view Data 1,2 and 3. B may view 1 and 2 and change them but doesn't see 3? (very abstract, sorry, but I'd like to know for further reasons)[/b]
Not really. More like "all users can see the forum, but only certain ones can post messages". Of course, like Data said, merely allowing all registered users to post but maintaining a strict moderation may work just as well.

Quote:
Haven't you asked this particular question before, 5th horseman? Or is that - once more - just me...?[/b]
I don't recall posting such a thing before.

-- Reed Richards