Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
dipo

Default Worth to invest into VMware + DOS 6.22 ?

I have read the thread about DR-DOS vs MS-DOS 6.22 vs DOS 7 and vs FreeDOS. MS-DOS 6.22 seams to be the most compatible one for old games.

I have quite a lot experience already with VMware but it`s loads of time ago I did use dos. Would take me some time to get a dos system well running.

My question is, is it worth to invest time in VMware + DOS? Will work all old games then? Or is VMware not the best choice for best compatibility?
dipo is offline                         Send a private message to dipo
Old 23-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

what you mean to say is that you want to run dos on virtual machine? or that you want to compare virtual machine and real dos

btw have you heard about dosbox? that's definately better way to emulate dos than to install it on vmware
Old 23-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
dipo

Yes I want DOS inside a virtual machine because I have no very old comp and not really the space in my flat for a second comp.

I plan to use DOS inisde a virtual machine and want to know if it`s worth to spend time with it.

I know also doxbox. It`s good and working for some games, but not all. So I thought maybe DOS inside VMware could be 100% compatible?
Old 23-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

VMware is in the end just another emulator like DosBox. It won't provide you with older hardware like SoundBlaster 16, PS-2 RAM or a Pentium mainboard with ISA / PCI slots, but it is this hardware that ensures the 100% compatibility with older games and software.
Ms-Dos 6.22 will be only 100% compatible with games on an older computer like Pentium 100 or like, because there you'll have 100% true hardware which sure will work better with games than any emulator, no matter how good.

So if you ask me, DosBox is still better there because that one at least additionally emulates the soundcard and memory all in one. Otherwise, if you really want to have the 100% compatiblity (which games like Blood & Magic require) you'd want to get a Pentium 100 or similar, up to Pentium II 400 max (more like Pentium III 450 not recommended), with a Soundblaster 16 / Yamaha OPL3 SAXVxD or other 100% Soundblaster-compatible soundcard, and something like S3 Trio 64 graphics card (Univbe supports that one for higher resolutions / colors).
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
dipo

There was some instructions to get sound working in dos and vmware.

But if you are telling me it isn`t 100% compatible then I won`t lose time with trying something that won`t get good. Thanks for telling me.
Old 24-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Data
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipo View Post
There was some instructions to get sound working in dos and vmware.

But if you are telling me it isn`t 100% compatible then I won`t lose time with trying something that won`t get good. Thanks for telling me.
Well aside from that it isn't perfect it is still an interesting platform to have installed.
Old 24-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

VMWare same as Virtual PC is 'close' enough to play DOS games, but if you know how to install and setup DOS. Same is the case for real PC, where you have to install and then setup DOS, make your startup use high memory, so that you have most of RAM to start the game.

Not to forget that you might need sound drivers etc. which you don't need on your DOSBOx which uses DirectX sound and video drivers.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
KnM

If you're looking for a VM to run DOS in I would recommend looking at VirtualBox. Its a opensource VM that is really good. Its a good alternative to both VirtualPC and VMWare.
You can find it at http://www.virtualbox.org/
KnM is offline                         Send a private message to KnM
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
wizardofOz
Lurker

I tried to enable soundsupport in VM-Ware with Dos 7.10 for quite a week now. Reading a lot of messages and topic in several forums. Installing some sounddrivers, configurate them but nothing helped I am still without a beep in every game.

My advice is using dosbox. If anyone out there was able to active soundsupport in VM-Ware I would glad to get an instruction. I will retry it now with VirtualBox. Since Crusader No remorse is very resistent to work with any other OS than Dos.

So long...
wizardofOz is offline                         Send a private message to wizardofOz
Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
dosraider
Dismembered.

Crusader works fine in dosbox.
Virtualbox has no additions for MSDos.
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

If you want a working VM for dos look for VPC2004@MS downloads.
It comes with the MSDos additions on a floppy image.
Install your MSDos in VPC2004, mount the floppy image,-(Dos Virtual Machine Additions.vfd)- run the dosadd.bat and you will have cd, mouse and SB-sound(220-5-1) support in it.
Works perfect.
BTW, the VPC2004 dos additions also works in VPC2007.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 10-04-2008 at 11:43 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider